Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I don't always leave a card. If the listing agent uses CSS, he or she gets a report of everyone who visited the property. If I end up cancelling a showing, I note that on the auto-generated feedback solicitation from CSS. If the list agent doesn't use CSS, he or she gets a report of everyone who visited the property through their Sentrilock or Supra lockbox.

Why not ask your agent to provide you with a report? I use CSS and if a client is interested, I can generate showing reports for them. Leaving a card is so "old fashioned" to me.
If it is so "old fashioned" as you stated...why are you showing the house in such an "old fashioned" way and just do a virtual tour!

This is just b.s. to me and just another realtor or perhaps your aren't a realtor since you call your self a consultant....maybe a legal title to avoid being sued?...., that wants to show that you are above what sellers like...but of course you are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine, you would never be my "consultant" because I like people who at least show respect to what ost sellers want and that is to know who was in their home..not by calling and getting a report....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Lousy excuse in this case...it is politeness towards the seller and it shows respect to show who was in the house.
Earth to Pluto:
You would needlessly subject buyers' agents to censure and fines?

When I DO leave a business card, which I do only upon specific request, I do not leave a list of names for the people with me.
How does that let a seller know who was in their home?

Should I do that too, so the Listing agent can also solicit my clients, "out of politeness and respect," just as you would prefer I solicit the Listing agent's seller?

Oh, yeah.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,203 times
I understand your frustration about wanting to know if someone was there. If I know the seller left just for the showing, I call the listing agent when I leave the property.

The electronic lockbox shows I was there. I sign registers. I don't leave a card unless the listing agent requests it but do leave notes sometimes, especially if it's a last minute showing, to thank the seller.

I cannot figure out why a listing agent wants my card. They have my information when I click to see the showing instructions for the property. They know my name, company, license info and contact info. What more do they need?

Why not leave a register for agents to sign as previously suggested.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:30 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
As a seller, I think it's reassuring to see a card left after a showing. After all the cleaning and disruption of leaving with two large dogs, sometimes for hours at a time, I don't think it's too much to ask. As sellers, we are paying a commission to both the buyer's agent and our agent...somewhere along the lines of $8,500 to each, so I don't think dropping off a card should be too expensive. We are greatful that they came to see the house, and want to hear their impression. Along with a card, it's also great when a buyer's agent calls and let's someone know if they are running late, or their client has decided to cancel. Also, it's nice when the buyer's agent leaves feedback with my agent. Wonder what it was like to be a buyer's agent when it was a seller's market? Did that make any difference in leaving a card, when their might be multiple offers on the table?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM

How is a card reassuring, tambre? Preparing for a showing is part of selling. By the way, I've had many buyers see through the clutter to buy. While it's nicer to show a picture perfect home, most are not in that condition. I don't show if dogs are barking when I try to open the door either. Leaving a card is not relative to providing feedback.

I show 200-300 houses a week on average. I leave a card only if requested. I go through at least 500 cards a month without leaving one at every single home. Can I afford to leave more, yes, but why? Like I previously said, if asked by the selling agent, I normally do.

I don't sell most of the homes I show since buyers look at many homes and only buy one. (Except investors that buy without looking at the property until inspections.) I do find homes for most of the buyers I show homes to, however. I do provide feedback whenever possible but it's not always possible because often, when I have the time to provide feedback, I forgot about the house. If I still have my notes, I do try to give feedback unless the house was unremarkable and many are. I really don't have more than 30 minutes a day for feedback.

I have never had a seller make a decision to accept an offer based on if a card was left or not. Nor have I had a seller make a big deal of out. However, I have had buyers make comments when I've shown a house that has 20 plus cards laying around indicating that all those other buyers passed odn the property or it would not be available to show. The same is true if a sign in form was left, indicating there were many showings and no offers. The buyers are a bit curious as to why there were no offers.

I use only electronic lockboxes on all listings for risk management purposes. I can show my sellers what agent showed their property and when. It's almost foolproof. Exceptions are if someone is showing and another agent comes in and that first agent let them in unconditionally. It's my electronic key that opened the door, it's my liablity. I put the key in the lockbox and let the second agent take it out so their information is recorded. I've never had an agent complain about that. Agents understand the quest for accurate info.

Two listings I tried to show at the last minute this morning had showing instructions that were not going to work for many showings. One asked me to show only between 4-6 on M, W, and F and the other only between 1 and 3 on Sunday. Those are unmotivated sellers. My buyers passed on both listings. They figured if it's that difficult to show, wonder how it will be to negotiate a contract!

You are your agent are able to develop good showing instructions. I doubt an agent will not show because the agent asked for a business card just as I am pretty sure you will accept an offer from a buyer whose agent did not leave a card. Enough said on my part. Good luck with your listing.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Me as a seller wanted to see the cards too. It showed me which agent was there and if they showed up...it is just something that is normal in this business and I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a card but at least a notice left for the listing agent that some one had been at the house.

Some agents don't come on time and if you see the card you know at least that the agent isn't coming an hour later or maybe 2 hours later....

Some agents didn't lock the doors or turned the lights off and I knew who they were...if it happened more than once I told my agent I don't want any showings from that agent....!

If you come in some ones home you can at least respect the sellers home and turn off the lights and lock the doors!

I had always 2 stacks...one with the agents who didn't care that they came into some one else his house and one that are very respectful ....so later when I need a new listing agent I know from which stack I want call and from which stack I will never call!...no card, no name , no call

Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Good post. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
How is a card reassuring, tambre? Preparing for a showing is part of selling. By the way, I've had many buyers see through the clutter to buy. While it's nicer to show a picture perfect home, most are not in that condition. I don't show if dogs are barking when I try to open the door either. Leaving a card is not relative to providing feedback.

I show 200-300 houses a week on average. I leave a card only if requested. I go through at least 500 cards a month without leaving one at every single home. Can I afford to leave more, yes, but why? Like I previously said, if asked by the selling agent, I normally do.

I don't sell most of the homes I show since buyers look at many homes and only buy one. (Except investors that buy without looking at the property until inspections.) I do find homes for most of the buyers I show homes to, however. I do provide feedback whenever possible but it's not always possible because often, when I have the time to provide feedback, I forgot about the house. If I still have my notes, I do try to give feedback unless the house was unremarkable and many are. I really don't have more than 30 minutes a day for feedback.

I have never had a seller make a decision to accept an offer based on if a card was left or not. Nor have I had a seller make a big deal of out. However, I have had buyers make comments when I've shown a house that has 20 plus cards laying around indicating that all those other buyers passed odn the property or it would not be available to show. The same is true if a sign in form was left, indicating there were many showings and no offers. The buyers are a bit curious as to why there were no offers.

I use only electronic lockboxes on all listings for risk management purposes. I can show my sellers what agent showed their property and when. It's almost foolproof. Exceptions are if someone is showing and another agent comes in and that first agent let them in unconditionally. It's my electronic key that opened the door, it's my liablity. I put the key in the lockbox and let the second agent take it out so their information is recorded. I've never had an agent complain about that. Agents understand the quest for accurate info.

Two listings I tried to show at the last minute this morning had showing instructions that were not going to work for many showings. One asked me to show only between 4-6 on M, W, and F and the other only between 1 and 3 on Sunday. Those are unmotivated sellers. My buyers passed on both listings. They figured if it's that difficult to show, wonder how it will be to negotiate a contract!

You are your agent are able to develop good showing instructions. I doubt an agent will not show because the agent asked for a business card just as I am pretty sure you will accept an offer from a buyer whose agent did not leave a card. Enough said on my part. Good luck with your listing.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:19 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,474 times
Quote:
I show 200-300 houses a week on average.

Holy Moly!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Quote:

I would never leave my dogs in the house with strangers. There are some weird people in the world Seriously, my dogs are very intimidating, and it's not the mood I'm trying to set with a potential buyer. I always try to leave 15 minutes early, and come back at least 1/2 hour after the showing appointment is over.

Hey Dee, that's an outrageous amount of properties that you show. In your case, I can see where providing feedback must be difficult. As far as leaving a card, it may not mean anything to some sellers, but it does to me.

However, I have had buyers make comments when I've shown a house that has 20 plus cards laying around indicating that all those other buyers passed odn the property or it would not be available to show. The same is true if a sign in form was left, indicating there were many showings and no offers. The buyers are a bit curious as to why there were no offers.

I don't have the problem of multiple showings in one day. I think my house is shown on average about once every three weeks. I think this logic would apply to a sign in log, in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Me as a seller wanted to see the cards too. It showed me which agent was there and if they showed up...it is just something that is normal in this business and I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a card but at least a notice left for the listing agent that some one had been at the house.

Some agents don't come on time and if you see the card you know at least that the agent isn't coming an hour later or maybe 2 hours later....
Yes, this is why it's reassuring. I've had times when my whole family...there are five of us, have had to leave for showings, and then all returned, only to find out by seeing the agent pull down the driveway that they were running late, and all five of us had to get back in our separate cars, and once again leave to be polite/respectful of the buyer's privacy for a showing. So if there's no card, you don't know if the agent is running late, or the appointment has been cancelled, or if it's a no show. There was one time when I went out for 2 hours, came back and there was no card, so I went out for another 2 hours, came back and guessed that it was a "no show" and started making dinner...then they showed up, and back in the car with the 2 dogs I went.

Last edited by tambre; 07-26-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2buy View Post
Holy Moly!

It's insane here. Keep in mind, often we pull up and the buyer doesn't want to go inside. Or we open the front door and the buyer says "No!"
I started working at 6am on a Sunday and am just finishing up for the day! But I did take time out for a swim and to watch a movie today. All work is not good.

I wrote 6 offers this week, got 4 in on my own listings so the negotiations are hot and heavy and the best thing of the week is that one of my agents got her very first listing today. She is so excited! And no wonder my home office is a mess! Pretty soon, it's bed time cause I am beat!

PS There is no excuse at all for not locking up and leaving the house as you found it. This is just not appropriate.

Last edited by Dee2e; 07-26-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: added the PS instead of another post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate