Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times

Advertisements

OMG Crazyma, that quilt is amazing. You are really talented. Where did you learn to sew? Do you sell them? I don't have any grandkids, but if I did, I would love to buy one. Stoy, love fresh from the garden tomatoes in a BLT with lots of mayo. Hope you get a good yield. Roth, would love to see a picture of your landscaping. Sounds beautiful. It must be nice to have such a long growing season compared to PA.

As far as working the cows...it was interesting and kind of harsh. They had to be driven into a chute, and then with amazing timing, caught in a headchute, which keeps them immobilized, sort of. The cows are not happy about this. My minor role in the whole shabangabang, was to draw numbers onto the ear tags, and load the ear tag gun. They are inbedded with fly repellant. You aren't supposed to handle them without gloves...whoops. My DH was spraying the cows with worm medicine/insecticide. The owner and two other cattlemen buddies were giving the calfs/cows innoculations, and castrating or banding the bull calfs. Banding is when they put a rubber band around the testicles, until they die from lack of circulation. My DH said, isn't that what the wedding band does

Last edited by tambre; 04-11-2010 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: can't tell a joke

Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
crazyma, I too love the quilt. That is really BOSS 50's retro! Where did you find the fabric? Nice job!

Had another showing yesterday. This is 17 in the last 25 days. Feedback always the same. Liked the house, but want open concept. Don't like galley kitchen, floor plan too cut up. The ad clearly states cape cod. Would a realtor not know it wouldn't be open concept? Generally, older people appreciate the house more, but most buyers have been younger. sigh.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
crazyma, I too love the quilt. That is really BOSS 50's retro! Where did you find the fabric? Nice job!

Had another showing yesterday. This is 17 in the last 25 days. Feedback always the same. Liked the house, but want open concept. Don't like galley kitchen, floor plan too cut up. The ad clearly states cape cod. Would a realtor not know it wouldn't be open concept? Generally, older people appreciate the house more, but most buyers have been younger. sigh.
17 showings in 25 days...wow! You must not be spending alot of time at home. Are there ways to take out a few walls, or add a small bump out addition onto the kitchen to open up the space? Not suggesting you are going to do it, since you are selling, but if a buyer had some imagination/creativity, to see the potential, it might help. Your agent may be able to make some suggestions about how to renovate a cape, to facilitate a more open floor plan. What rooms do you have on the first floor, and how are they set up? Do you walk in and have the staircase in front of you, or is your door on the gable end?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 AM

Tambre- Like many capes, you walk in and a formal living room to your left. If you go straight in, there are 3 bedrooms, midway, stairs lead up. 2 of the bedrooms downstairs are small, and one wall could be taken out for 2 good size bedrooms. BUT, I don't want to put another penny into the place! Again, I don't have to sell the place as I am meeting the mortgage just fine. Seems crazy to drop the price equal to a years motgage to get rid of it. I would still have to pay to live somewhere else. As far as the kitchen, it is galley, but at the end of it there is a seating area for a table and 4 chairs, so it is not like there is no place to eat.

Yep, I am thrilled with the number of showings, but so far has done me no good.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM

CDCDguy, did you hear anything more from your second showings? Is your RE agent following up for feedback from those second lookers?

We received ana bid on an ICF addition, but the builder said he could really slash the costs if we build without a basement. Just not sure if a storm room on a slab on grade foundation is the answer. However, that's the way the builder's own kids who live in the area have their houses built. The land is flat, so a basement would be tomblike. Decisions, decisions. Any opinions about it? We are in an area that does see tornados, but usually not the real big ones. More like the kind that might tear off the roof, but not level the whole house. Crazyma, you live in the midwest, what do you think?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 AM

Tambre- I also live in the Midwest, we get tornadoes, and they are almost always small ones(f0 or f1). My house is on a slab(Indiana). I have never felt unsafe because I have no basement. Just my opinion.

My realtor follows up on every showing, including 2nd lookers. One second looker decided to spend more money on a house, the other went with a house that had the open floor plan. She also has called people who looked last year(her clients) to see if they are still in the market. I think she is doing everything possible. Again, feedback is good, except floorplan. No buyer or realtor has said the house is overpriced. No lowballers either, and can assume this is because of the floor plan too. By the way, the floor plan is traditional. It isn't weird, or hallways going nowhere or anything like that. Just lots of rooms, some small. There are a million houses, just like this one. Some must be selling, no?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 PM

CDCDguy, sounds like you have a great realtor. It's just going to take that special buyer who likes the traditional floor plan. With all the showings, seems that your odds of someone being interested are good! Thanks for the info. about the tornados, and feeling safe on a slab. We had a good scare here last April when we came to visit (hadn't sold the house yet in NY). The radio weatherman actually said "I have never seen anything like this before"... and "go to your safe room immediately"...there were storms with rotation all around us. The next day we found out that only one tornado had been on the ground, and it torn a business building apart, but no one was hurt. Have you had any close calls?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
Okay let's see if I can post now....messed up some settings and haven't been able to post on here....weird

Thank you all regarding the quilt CdCd I actually ordered the retro looking 'space' fabric off line from J & O Fabrics...first timeI have ordered on internet- very happy, plan to order more as I have a backlog of ones I want to make...
but I messed something up on my machine so must get it fixed....or get a new one would be lovely!

Cdcd- I happen to like galley style kitchens- I am not one of these people that want to walk all around to cook , hike to get stuff out of frig, tramp over to the stove, etc. I loved the 2 galley kitchens we've had, very user friendly!! The biggest kitchen we had must have been 18 x 25 ish nad it drove me crazy all that walking back nad forth.

And I don't like open floor plans, where the kit is open to the only living/great room thing. now if it opens on to a secondary den/family room I can stand it. People say oh we can work n the kitchen and talk to our guests--- hahaha last thing I want is someone seeing me cook & the disaster it involves and leaves!!! Go sit your happy self in the other room, I can talk loud!!!
If I don't get the kit cleaned up at night, I don't like having someone drop by and be able to see in there!

SO with all the showings you are having I dare say it is on;y a matter of time, the right buyer will love it...and if they want to make changes they will be creative enough to envision it.
HANG IN THERE!! Someone will appreciate traditional architecture over ugly cutsey pootsey!

Painter you being good??
Stoy...hope you are doing okay....

Tambre- I don't think you really have to have a basement. We thought we might need one here (wichita ks) but frankly, we could have done with out. I know folks around here who say they go into the bathroom and get in the tubs if needed...

If I was doing new construction I would very much consider something like this-
In Ground Safety Shelter - Safety is more than an option!

i have seen other things like this, just put this link to show idea

here too are some ideas-

here is a link too-http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/saferoom/fema320.shtm

PCA - Concrete Homes

Jacksonville.com: Shelter from the storm 01/16/99 | Jacksonville.com

Okay I need to clean up , been busy and need to get back with it!!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM

111 posts, read 251,698 times
Default Showing - not selling . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Tambre- I also live in the Midwest, we get tornadoes, and they are almost always small ones(f0 or f1). My house is on a slab(Indiana). I have never felt unsafe because I have no basement. Just my opinion.

My realtor follows up on every showing, including 2nd lookers. One second looker decided to spend more money on a house, the other went with a house that had the open floor plan. She also has called people who looked last year(her clients) to see if they are still in the market. I think she is doing everything possible. Again, feedback is good, except floorplan. No buyer or realtor has said the house is overpriced. No lowballers either, and can assume this is because of the floor plan too. By the way, the floor plan is traditional. It isn't weird, or hallways going nowhere or anything like that. Just lots of rooms, some small. There are a million houses, just like this one. Some must be selling, no?
- You should be going to every open house and inspecting every listing of houses which are, in any way, similar to &/or competing with yours.
- Then you'll know what the buyers are seeing that you're not. There have been way too may posts to review, but I'm assuming that you have the home 'staged' (i.e cleared of all your personal 'stuff' etc).
- If your house ever gets up to over 30 showings there IS a problem.
- Good Realtor or not, I'd call the showing agent and ask every time.
"Thanks for showing my house". "What were the buyers comments." "Would you show it again?" "What can I do to make it more 'marketable?"
Hope this helps . . . . .

Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 AM

EZICIT- Thank You. Sent you a dm.

Crazyma, I don't understand why people need a huge kitchen. Are they dancing in there?

Tambre- I think I have a good realtor. She is also agressive in advertising the house.

No close calls as far as Tornadoes. This region just doesn'thave large tornadoes very often. I worry more about high winds and falling trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate