Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

One comment I'd like to make is that when a buyer brings me a list of homes they have found on the internet to see usually 60% of what they find are not very good homes. They don't have the experience to read between the lines and they do not have access to the private information.

Usually the 1st time out with a buyer I show them what they have selected, after that I usually choose what to show. My list of homes will usually fit their desires much better. There is usually a reason that home has been on the market 468 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Oh Rankin, You know I usually agree with you but.... the DOM does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the house. Around me, and me included, over a yr is normal. Only 2 houses have sold both in the last 30 days that were over 200k, one was on the market for over 400 days. The only thing moving here is under 80k all others are sitting for over a year. Now remember this is all rural and not many conviences, a 30 min drive to anywhere.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Painter, cannot disagree with you at all on this. That's one of the reasons most all say RE is local. What applies here does not apply there.

Just the other day I believe it was Mike J who said the Snow Birds in his area caused his market to get busy in the winter months. I never considered that since here it dies from Thanksgiving till about March 1.

Even here DOM is not a true 100% indicator of a bad or good home.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 AM

For me the DOM is not a factor, and I do understand why some will think it is a problem with the house. But buyers and agents need to consider the area the house is in and not rule the house out based on the DOM. I had one agent bring out his buyers based on the pictures and their insistance. The agent was surprised by the house and did not consider it because of the DOM, but then he admitted that he did not know this area and had assumed it was a BAD area and over priced, didn't consider it was the drive time. The pictures are what got the buyers out here, the drive time was what changed their minds. AND this agent wasn't doing his home work either.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM

756 posts, read 1,654,062 times
I believe a combination of buyers looking and agents doing their job well leads to success. The looking - and therefore the web presentation - are important and maybe listing agents don't realize that. I still see homes listed with no pictures, no SF info, no tax of HMO info, etc. Why even waste the time listing it?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM

With out info, it is a waste of time, my time anyways. There was a house I requested pixs on, only the exterior shot was on MLS, and just a general discription. The agent emailed me and said she would go take some, at her convience, a month later and still have not rec'd them. This was a new home, so it wasn't that the pixs would scare someone off.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Here is a new tactic, or perhaps old..

Listing advertises 15 pics of a home ina slideshow view, but it's the same 15 pics in a row or duplicates of pics you viewed for that listing.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM

SEE! That is why I ask when to many picture are not a good thing. I like alot of pictures but some shots are just not worth looking at and I would rather see 5 really good ones than 10 different views of the back yard. Would like for agents/realtors to include a street shot or at least something to give you an idea of what the neighborhood is ...beautiful home on a nasty street type of thing.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
SEE! That is why I ask when to many picture are not a good thing. I like alot of pictures but some shots are just not worth looking at and I would rather see 5 really good ones than 10 different views of the back yard. Would like for agents/realtors to include a street shot or at least something to give you an idea of what the neighborhood is ...beautiful home on a nasty street type of thing.
Good agents will shoot a lot of exterior if the interior shots are limited. We just listed a small little country place where the house is nothing to look at and about 15 of 25 shots are exterior showing the big trees, the barn etc.

I'll even do the nearby lake, park, school or any nice feature that affects the desirability of the house.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM

There you go, that is what I want to see. Especially since I can do almost anything to fix the house, but my critters need the land and barn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate