Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:55 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,065 times

Advertisements

So the other day I saw a very nice property listed online. I went to take a look at the property in person, as the pictures on the listing were so gorgeous. However, when I got there I felt deceived because there was a huge hole in the patio and whoever took the pictures did a very good job at obscuring other structural damages.

When I spoke with the realtor, I sensed hesitation and got a response that the house suffered a patio failure. I tried looking up that term, but I cannot find it online. Could someone please advice? I am puzzled. What does it mean that the patio failed? It did not look like a hole from damage, it was very clean, deep to the ground, and looked like it was intentionally removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I've personal experience with things like that. Property listed as waterfront when it's waterview, a fireplace picture when none exists in the house. Storage rooms counted as bedrooms, claiming public water/sewer when house is on a well/septic, 20 year old "new" roof.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Did you ask what the agent meant by "patio failure"? You did get a vague answer and should ask for details. It could mean anything. However, given that it's obvious there is structural damage, why bother pursuing it? Do you want a fix-up project?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
iT COULD HAVE BEEN THAT ONE OF THE SUPPORTING STRUCTURES FAILED AND CAUSED THE HOLE.

And the reason he probably gave a vague answer was that he probably wasn't sure what caused it.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Ask to see the Seller's Disclosure. It will provide you a starting point.

Quote:
when I got there I felt deceived because there was a huge hole in the patio and whoever took the pictures did a very good job at obscuring other structural damages.
Well, the pictures are supposed to flatter the home and create enough interest to cause you to want to see it. Every home has issues. Very few issues are incurable. Focus on what you like about the home and if it's a good candidate property for you, the cosmetic/condition issues should all be determinable via inspection and can all be boiled down to a dollar amount that will influence your offer.

If you don't have an experienced Realtor representing you, consider getting one. Talking to the listing Realtor isn't always helpful. When I get calls from unrepresented buyers for my listings, and they ask pointed questions about condition, I'm also vague because I frankly don't know everything that an inspection might reveal, and it's a buyer's responsibility to determine the condition of the property beyond the disclosures made by a seller.

Steve

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Folks, Steve is being too polite, and I can't blame him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Ask to see the Seller's Disclosure. It will provide you a starting point.

Well, the pictures are supposed to flatter the home and create enough interest to cause you to want to see it. Every home has issues. Very few issues are incurable. Focus on what you like about the home and if it's a good candidate property for you, the cosmetic/condition issues should all be determinable via inspection and can all be boiled down to a dollar amount that will influence your offer.

If you don't have an experienced Realtor representing you, consider getting one. Talking to the listing Realtor isn't always helpful. When I get calls from unrepresented buyers for my listings, and they ask pointed questions about condition, I'm also vague because I frankly don't know everything that an inspection might reveal, and it's a buyer's responsibility to determine the condition of the property beyond the disclosures made by a seller.

Steve
Here is the deal -- the LISTING AGENT has a FIDUCIARY DUTY to represent the interests of their client THE SELLER. While they should not conceal any material facts about the property it is really the UNREASONABLE for the potential buyer to expect the listing agent to offer up any the details about the condition of the property. Doing so would almost certainly put the listing agent in a position that would expose them to charges of potentially not representing their client in the most beneficial way OR making statements that they are not qualified to support with the scope of their expertise.

The best way to do proceed from the "I just saw an ad" to the "I would like to know about this property" is generally NOT directly with the listing agent BUT with the assistance of a BUYERS AGENT that will represent you through the drafting of an OFFER that gives you specific opportunities to hire appropriate inspectors to further determine the fitness of the property.

When potential buyers contact the listing agent directly the listing agent is in a very tough spot -- MUCH better for buyers to have a "go to" buyers agent to get details that they can then use to determine if a look-see is worth it.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
This is the reason why I shake my head when I read people who dismiss properties without pictures and/or poor marketing and instead, flock to the properties that are marketed well.

There are some terrific properties for sale that are poorly marketed and/or decorated, just as there are some so-so properties that are decorated and marketed, well. A competent local agent knows the difference and is not swayed by terrific marketing or lack thereof.

As far as the patio goes.....the listing agent's response could mean anything. Why not press that agent for a definition of " failed patio". Better yet, why not get an agent to represent your own best interests.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
If you see a concrete patch, it could mean they have put a "Pier" under the slab to support the house or patio. If the house has a slab foundation, there may be more than this 1 pier. You should be able to determine if the house has had more foundation work by the disclosure.

A properly repaired piered slab is usally better than a slab without piers.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Just be thankful it wasn't this house:

715 AVENIDA COLUMBO, San Clemente, CA 92672 | MLS# S556753

"The lot needs geologic work" - I love that!

(this is a sold listing, so should be okay to link)

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
I've said this a gazillion times before and it looks like I'll have to say it again: why the heck are people posting on here instead of communicating face to face or over the phone with the person the issue is with? If an agent gives you information that's senseless, you do your research and still can't make sense of it, go back to the agent and press for answers! If you still can't get what you need, go to the agent's BROKER. If the Broker can't help, go to the state board...not the CD message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate