Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if the sellers had any notice that you would be coming by. (esp since you said you were out driving around) If they had advance notice, there is no reason why the place should be a wreck (unless the college kid messed everything up!) We just spent all morning cleaning our place for a 1PM showing. Then we loaded our two kids (ages 1 and 3) and our two dogs in the car and drove around. I have the "routine" down to a science now! (including putting kitchen counter clutter in a large green storage bin that goes in the car with us, as well as the dogs' food/ water bowls)

A few years ago when we were looking to buy this house, we went into another one to find someone sleeping in one of the bedrooms. Turns out our realtor didn't read the note about there being a "day sleeper" Duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:16 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,972 times
In some ways, you probably helped your negotiating position if the kid DID say something - at least they know you're not "in love" with the house, and therefore might not be quite as willing to give in.

Best of luck!
Dave

Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
If it was cleaner and in better shape...the offer would be higher. That is the best reason of all....they heard it literally from the horses mouth. People cannot depend upon other to pay for their benign neglect. I hope you get the property at your price. You certainly did nothing wrong. Kind of a sneaky kid, don't you think? Glad he wasn't an axe murderer hiding out at home. If I were your agent, I would be livid that he didn't identify himself to you.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2buy View Post
Went and looked at a home today. Quite a bit larger than I could ever need but we were out and about so stopped in to take a peek. My realtor entered the home as I looked at the back yard and as usual, she loudly said "Hello" as she entered. Nobody responded so we assumed we were alone.

As we went through the home, which was quite lovely, but VERY dirty/cluttered. Bags of chips and junk everywhere! As we wandered from room, to room, I know that I said several times to my realtor, this home is HUGE and how it really is too big for me, but I really did like it. I'm also quite sure comments were made regarding it needing a really good scrubbing, etc. But many nice comments were made as well.

Anyway, as we were in the basement looking around, I thought I heard something upstairs, and told my realtor I think someone just came home, but when we went upstairs, no one was there.

So I submitted an offer and when the listing agent called my realtor she said, I don't know why your client made an offer if the home is too big for her! Turns out, the college age kid was in the basement, and as we wandered from room to room, he scurried to a different part of the house! Well, I just couldn't believe it! Even though it wasn't a great offer, I gotta believe the homeowner is going to be none too happy that we mentioned what slobs they were. No....seriously....it was that bad.

I am just dumbfounded and wondered what you all think of this.
When I was in high school my parents went to see a house. Not only did they and their Realtor walk in on a naked woman taking a bath in the Master bath...she was not even aware her house was for sale. As she hurried to get a robe and figure out why strangers were in her house, she was served with divorce papers. I can't imagine how cruel a person must be to do that to someone they were willing to marry at some point.

About the 48 hours notice...That's really cool. My house is currently on the market and I asked for two hours notice and couldn't get it. The fastest was twenty minutes, but usually ranges around an hour lead time. It's hard with little ones and my husband already moved to the new location. We manage, though. Not flushing toilets is gross even when the house is not listed.

Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate