Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times

Advertisements

Went and looked at a home today. Quite a bit larger than I could ever need but we were out and about so stopped in to take a peek. My realtor entered the home as I looked at the back yard and as usual, she loudly said "Hello" as she entered. Nobody responded so we assumed we were alone.

As we went through the home, which was quite lovely, but VERY dirty/cluttered. Bags of chips and junk everywhere! As we wandered from room, to room, I know that I said several times to my realtor, this home is HUGE and how it really is too big for me, but I really did like it. I'm also quite sure comments were made regarding it needing a really good scrubbing, etc. But many nice comments were made as well.

Anyway, as we were in the basement looking around, I thought I heard something upstairs, and told my realtor I think someone just came home, but when we went upstairs, no one was there.

So I submitted an offer and when the listing agent called my realtor she said, I don't know why your client made an offer if the home is too big for her! Turns out, the college age kid was in the basement, and as we wandered from room to room, he scurried to a different part of the house! Well, I just couldn't believe it! Even though it wasn't a great offer, I gotta believe the homeowner is going to be none too happy that we mentioned what slobs they were. No....seriously....it was that bad.

I am just dumbfounded and wondered what you all think of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Oh how many college kids even talk to their parents except to ask for money? Good luck on getting your offer accepted.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM

20 posts, read 34,946 times
haha. it's going to be all business when it comes time for them to decided. they not going to be thinking about your comments when they make the decision. they gonna be looking at your numbers. good luck. besides, your trying to buy their house not adopt their dog. good luck again

Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
Wow. It just goes to show you!
I've never had that exact thing happen. However, I have shown houses and was told when making the showing appt. that no one would be home - but they were home. At any occupied home I'll always ring door bell then "hello, hello" when we enter - a couple of times I've had no one respond only to find them later. Crazy.
If that offer didn't work - try another! Best wishes.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
No big deal, someday I'll share my naked lady story.

You might be surprised who now has web cams / nanny cams hooked up to the internet and can monitor your movements and conversation. I've learned to be very carefull what I do and say in a sellers home.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I love, love, love it when a teen is home because they spilll the beans.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
RVP

14 posts, read 28,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No big deal, someday I'll share my naked lady story.

You might be surprised who now has web cams / nanny cams hooked up to the internet and can monitor your movements and conversation. I've learned to be very carefull what I do and say in a sellers home.

Agreed.

Always assume you're being videotaped or vocally taped no matter where you are.

Unfortunately, sign of the times.

Good luck with your offer,
RVP

Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 AM

472 posts, read 855,032 times
Wow...you insulted their house AND made a low offer?

Just kidding. Funny story, though...

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM

181 posts, read 409,380 times
Did you insult the house or just state the truth? Is it a low offer or a realistic offer? I am interested to see how this works out.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Brian View Post
Did you insult the house or just state the truth? Is it a low offer or a realistic offer? I am interested to see how this works out.

Just stated the truth and was pretty "gentle" considering. Made a few nice comments too. More shocked than anything that people get 48 hours notice of a showing and can't manage to make even make sure the toilets are flushed.

Yeah, it was a lowball offer. What the heck. Probably 20k, maybe even 30k under what it will sell for. If I could get it at a really great price, I'll be thrilled. But overall, it really is just too much house for me.

I'll let you know how it works out, but I'm not holding my breath. If by some miracle they accept, anyone want to rent a wing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate