Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

It has been years since I have been in a blackberry patch!
I forgot about all the skitter bites, and bryers that bite you.

I want to make a cobbler, but never have. Does anyone have an easy recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 PM

105 posts, read 188,153 times
Picking blackberries is brutal! That's why I bribe the grandkids to do it.

For a luscious cobbler, simply sugar the berries. Mix a tablespoon of corn starch with cold water and stir it in. Let them sit for at least a half hour to draw out all the juices. Pour them in your pan (be sure and spray it with cooking spray) and top with the cobbler recipe from a box of Bisquick. It's easy and will be every bit as good as scratch. Sprinkle some sugar on the crust and bake according to Bisquick directions. Be sure and serve it warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

The cobbler will warm very nicely in the microwave or is really good cold too.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM

I made a cobbler that was outstanding!
Think I will pick more berries tomorrow!

Thanks for the recipe, BTW~

Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I made a cobbler that was outstanding!
Think I will pick more berries tomorrow!

Thanks for the recipe, BTW~

I'm so glad it turned out well for you! Evidently it was good enough to entice you go out and pick more berries. You've got me thinking. I keep eyeing the thicket down near the lake I live on. It's just loaded and I bet I could have enough for a small cobbler in 20 minutes. Will be worth every skeeter, chigger, tick and snake I run screaming from.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
I'm so glad it turned out well for you! Evidently it was good enough to entice you go out and pick more berries. You've got me thinking. I keep eyeing the thicket down near the lake I live on. It's just loaded and I bet I could have enough for a small cobbler in 20 minutes. Will be worth every skeeter, chigger, tick and snake I run screaming from.
I remember as kids how we would spend all morning in the blackberry patch, and then come in to hear Mom say," Go take a salt bath."
We would pick enough for ourselves, and then have some to sell...but the chiggers on me just was not worth it... I wish we had that OFF bug spray then.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I remember as kids how we would spend all morning in the blackberry patch, and then come in to hear Mom say," Go take a salt bath."
We would pick enough for ourselves, and then have some to sell...but the chiggers on me just was not worth it... I wish we had that OFF bug spray then.

I hear you. Chiggers were the worst. Itch, itch, itch! I grew up in Missouri but, spent summers with my grandparents, assorted aunts, uncles and cousins in my Mom's hometown in Arkansas. All chiggers are bad but, nothing beats an Arkansas chigger when it comes to driving you crazy with the itch. You made me smile remembering the salt baths. I had forgotten that! Granny would run a cool bath and sprinkle in salt from the 5# bag she kept in the cupboards. Us kids would get in and soak. She'd then drain the salt water and run a clean tub and we'd bathe with the big bar of Ivory. All 3 of us girls in one tub to conserve water. I envied my cousin Larry. As the only boy he got the tub all to himself and didn't have to bathe in everyone else's filthy water. After our baths, she'd sprinkle us girls with powder from the big metal Cashmere Bouquet can. We'd get in our nightgowns and sit down on the porch with a bowl of blackberry cobbler right from the oven. If we were really lucky, it would be topped with Granny's homemade ice cream. Sweet, sweet times.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
I hear you. Chiggers were the worst. Itch, itch, itch! I grew up in Missouri but, spent summers with my grandparents, assorted aunts, uncles and cousins in my Mom's hometown in Arkansas. All chiggers are bad but, nothing beats an Arkansas chigger when it comes to driving you crazy with the itch. You made me smile remembering the salt baths. I had forgotten that! Granny would run a cool bath and sprinkle in salt from the 5# bag she kept in the cupboards. Us kids would get in and soak. She'd then drain the salt water and run a clean tub and we'd bathe with the big bar of Ivory. All 3 of us girls in one tub to conserve water. I envied my cousin Larry. As the only boy he got the tub all to himself and didn't have to bathe in everyone else's filthy water. After our baths, she'd sprinkle us girls with powder from the big metal Cashmere Bouquet can. We'd get in our nightgowns and sit down on the porch with a bowl of blackberry cobbler right from the oven. If we were really lucky, it would be topped with Granny's homemade ice cream. Sweet, sweet times.
Sounds like it!! Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Rub rubbibg alcohol on all your chigger bites. Rub not real hard, but hard enough. You might have to do this 2 or 3 different times, but it works every time on all our chigger bites. Can't stand those things. Or the ticks. UGH !!! Creepy dang things.

OFF TRACK SORRY...picking blackberries = chiggers & ticks...

Does anyone have a good recipe for a cobbler with crust on bottom as well as top ?
Now that's a good cobbler.

My Great Aunt could make the best cobbler ever...top & bottom crust.
She cooked in an old farm house with no running water, just a well outside.
Her stove was a fire stove cooking with logs as her heat. Very bizare in this day & age...but I sure miss that sweet lady and her wonderful cooking. She could really cook & bake GREAT things way back when.That was about 40 some years ago, but my family still misses her cobblers & cooking.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
a cobbler with crust on bottom as well as top ?
Isn't that called a pie if it has crusts both top and bottom?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Pies are pies.. round 8' approx.

Cobblers always had crust on the bottom & top... in the old days. My Great Aunt made them that way every time. Only she made her cobblers in a large dish the size of a 13X9 to today's standards.

Hubby & I eat at a restaurant now & then & their cobblers have crust on top & bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes