Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times

Advertisements

Wow. Ten pages and only two recipes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I remember my mom used to always make cornbread with cracklins. I haven't seen a cracklin in almost 30 years. Remember when she used to render hog lard for cooking, and we'd wait for the bowl of cracklins and eat them with iced tea. So salty and chewy and fatty and good (she'd sprinke salt on them). These days, you'd probably get some kind of warning on them.

Good times.
I remember cracklins mostly because I remember thinking that for how gross and weird I thought they were I still ate them.

We used to keep a coffee can full of lard when I was young. We would scoop out what we needed then when finished put what was left in the pot, pan, or fryer back into the can. There were probably hundreds of different flavors in that can and I swear it cooked up the best pancakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Then there's a section on how to dust a room - it includes removing the furniture from the room!
I am guilty of this. I mean if you are going to clean you might as well clean everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 PM

302 posts, read 368,977 times
EEEWWWWW !

I just remembered my father (rip) used to eat pig brains I think they called it scrapple and hog head cheese

AND ///// DRUMROLL \\\\

MOUNTAIN OYSTERS ( mountain oysters are pig ------ testicles )

A funny story about him and my mom happened when he , a southern bred man, was with her at the butcher and bought some .
Well, she kept asking him what is that , what the heck is that and he was trying to answer with a polite southern whisper ,
but she couldn't hear cause us kids were making noise and he raised his voice to tell her and you guessed it ---the whole place was quiet as a mouse p-e-e-i-n-g on cotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Hardtack and Pemmican. Dont get much more old timely than that.

Various recipes on the internet to be had for you adventurous soles.
I just want to know what the heck is COWBOY COFFEE ? Anybody ?

and I got a recipe for ' summer sausage ' but I need to translate it to post it here .

Summer Sausage = some o' this , some o' that.....

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
I just want to know what the heck is COWBOY COFFEE ? Anybody ?
Coffee made in boiling water without a filter, poured very very carefully
Some people add crushed egg shells.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times

Why Gand? Flavor? Calcium?

Old 04-11-2014, 04:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

It's said to take away the bitterness.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Here's a great example of an old-time, but regional recipe. I just love the way they're written. These are from a 1913 PNW cookbook:

Creamed Clams.

One dozen razor clams. Cut out the black, clean thoroughly, put in colander and let them dry off. Take a tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour and 3 or 4 slices of onion and let it brown. Then put in the clams and let them brown. Put it all in a double boiler about 9 in the morning and let it simmer all day. Just before dinner put in 1/2 cup thick cream, salt, and cayenne pepper. Put on small pieces of toast, on platter.

or how about

Oysters and Noodles.

Make noodles and cut them about half an inch wide, boil in salt water, drain, pour cold water over them and drain well. Butter a pudding dish, put in a layer of noodles, then of oysters, sprinkle a little salt and pepper over them and flakes of butter here and there, then another layer of noodles, then oysters again until your dish is full. Have the upper layer of noodles, pour the oysters and a cup of cream over all; bake 1/2 hour.

I mean ... no temperatures. No measurements. What time is dinner if it's been cooking since 9 in the morning?

Or how about one just filled with ... "what is that?"s. i mean ... how is something "larded with truffles" ... what's a "supreme sauce" or a "medallion of fried hominy." And is the sauce you're supposed to pour over it the supreme sauce, or what?

Chicken Lockridge.
Cook the breasts of a spring chicken which has been larded with truffles, in a glass of white wine and a pint of supreme sauce. Serve the chicken on a medallion of fried hominy, with fresh mushrooms on the side and sauce over all. This is good for two people.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's said to take away the bitterness.
Actually, it's to help hold the grounds at the very bottom of the pot so they don't get poured into the cup. Some folks put an egg white or even a whole egg in the pot for that purpose.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hey There!
I haven't read all of the other responses, but Mince Meat Pies are still popular in Australia and the UK around Christmastime. I've never personally tried them (I'm a vegetarian) but I believe they're dried fruit mixed with spices, sugar and meat, served in pie.

Vinegar Pie on the other hand is AWESOME. I had it for the first time at an old restaurant here in North Carolina called Jarrett House. Their recipe for Vinegar Pie is here. It's delicious- so if you ever get a chance to make it or eat it, I would highly recommend it!

Also, if you're interested in really, really old school recipes and cooking techniques I would suggest purchasing a Boston Cooking School reprint- although you can read the original online here. Also, there's a book called 'Perfection Salad' by Laura Shapiro which is non-fiction about cooking in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Good Luck to you!

Kindest Regards,
Amber
Thanks for the vinegar pie recipe!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
That's camping coffee here. My mum made it once when we were berry picking, in the coffee pot over the fire, bring to the boil three times and then serve. So so strong and bitter!

Homemade beer is old fashioned, every household used to brew their own beer using rye flour and rye malt, low alcohol so the children could drink it too. Nowadays most people just buy it ready-made from the shops and its just not the same (I had the real stuff once when I was a kid, sweet and refreshing)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Jellied mandrilene. It's a cold, jellied beef soup that was popular at the turn of the last century through the 30s.

Malted wheat cereal for breakfast.

Pheasant Under Glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes