Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to a book of Early American recipes by a lady who used to demonstrate hearth cooking at the 1840 House and Flag House Museums in Baltimore.

"At The Hearth"

Amazon.com: At the Hearth: Early American Recipes (9781561672158): Mary Sue Pagan Latini: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
Who on here has ever had tuna casserole, featuring crushed potato chips and a can of cream of mushroom soup?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Who on here has ever had tuna casserole, featuring crushed potato chips and a can of cream of mushroom soup?
Oh, back in the '60s and '70s. Everything called for cream of mushroom soup. LOL

One of my pet peeves in cooking is when the recipe calls for some pre-packaged thing that I don't have--like the canned soups or a multitude of other things that I never seem to have on hand.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh, back in the '60s and '70s. Everything called for cream of mushroom soup. LOL

One of my pet peeves in cooking is when the recipe calls for some pre-packaged thing that I don't have--like the canned soups or a multitude of other things that I never seem to have on hand.

Progresso the soup company has moved into the area of cooking sauces like tomato basil, cheese, mushroom and others. I might check them out.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes. The canned soup crutch isn't so bad, because I know how to approximate it. I get more irritated at recipes that call for some specific brand of seasoning blend that I am unfamiliar with. I want to taste what the recipe creators tasted, so it is irrelevant that I know how to season foods, I don't know what exactly is in that blend!

Fortunately, most recipes I try come from excellent cookbooks, or highly rated website recipes. I just avoid product branded cookbooks.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yes. The canned soup crutch isn't so bad, because I know how to approximate it. I get more irritated at recipes that call for some specific brand of seasoning blend that I am unfamiliar with. I want to taste what the recipe creators tasted, so it is irrelevant that I know how to season foods, I don't know what exactly is in that blend!

Fortunately, most recipes I try come from excellent cookbooks, or highly rated website recipes. I just avoid product branded cookbooks.
You should also avoid any cookbook by Poppy Cannon. She invented the term "can-opener gourmet."

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You should also avoid any cookbook by Poppy Cannon. She invented the term "can-opener gourmet."
Yikes! That reminds me of my nieces. My sister once proudly boasted that her girls LOVED to cook. In shock & horror (because my brother & I are the only 2 in my huge family who can boil water sans burning it) I said, 'Really!!! What do they like to cook?' Her reply? 'They microwave frozen pizza, heat their own canned soup, make tea...'

Seriously? In which decade did heating pre-cooked food & dunking a teabag become re-categorized as actual cooking??? < Insert fist shaking emoticon >

Can-opener gourmet? Ohhhh... Poppy, please!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
I just picked up an "Old Timey" cookbook as a free Kindle download and it is a real hoot. Copywrite 1914.

Butter (interchangeable with lard) measurements - size of a walnut, size of half an egg, size of an egg ...
Oven temperatures - low, moderate, high, and very high
Coffee Jello! I'm gonna try this one - although they call it Coffee Jelly, it uses gelatin and is put in a mold.
Making candy - 'place pan in snow to cool ...'
There was even a 'coffee' made from bread crumbs. Don't think I'll try that, LOL

It may still be a free download for anyone who is interested ...
Things Mother Used to Make A Collection of Old Time Recipes, Some Nearly One Hundred Years Old and Never Published Before [Kindle Edition]

Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM

73 posts, read 99,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Been reading the Little House books to my kids this last week by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She mentioned a lot of food items I don't recall ever eating. Mince meat pies? WTF is a mince meat pie? Vinegar pie? Here's a thread to drop your old school (Old Timey) recipes on.
Kansas Pioneer Vinegar Pie
http://www.heritagerecipes.com/pie-r...negar-pie.htm3
My mother always made Mincemeat pies for Christmas. I loved buttermilk pie, custard pie, tomato soup cake, spoon bread, hoe cakes... etc. Talk about really old recipes....I have a ton of the old old family recipes.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Default Sugaring Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Think it was "Little House in the Big Woods" where they made candy by filling a pan with snow and drizzling maple syrup into it and letting it set. That picture always sticks in my mind..........
When I was a kid....we did the same thing. The" sugaring off" was a town event....(like the bean hole bean bake in the summer). They would pack troughs full of clean snow and pour maple syrup on it and then you could wind some up on a little wooden spoon in the shape of a paddle. I was too young but my mother told me that a young man would carve an ornate sugaring-off paddle to give to the girl he was "sweet on" as part of the courtship or dating custom..... like giving your high school ring or letter jacket.

That was up in Canada...but they still have Sugaring_Offs in NH. There is a great one at a sugar bush in Canterbury......lots of maple sugar and donuts....and pickles for when you've had too much sweet. A country band plays and a caller leads the contra and quadrille dancing. Great Fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes