Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

would love to hear about other cole slaw recipes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
Hello, first time poster here! Here is a recipe from Barefoot Contessa for a different unique Blue Cheese Coleslaw. Very delicious, but you of course must love blue cheese. I made it for a bbq and it went pretty fast. I cut corners though, I didn't cut the cabbage myself via the directions below, but cheated and used a bag of cut green and red cabbage as I didn't have time.
I cut and paste the recipe as I haven't figured out how to link yet

Blue Cheese Coleslaw

Serves 6-8
  • 1/2 small head green cabbage
  • 1/2 small head red cabbage
  • 4 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) good mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Roquefort blue cheese
  • 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Cut the cabbages in half and then in quarters and cut out the cores. Set up the food processor with the slicing blade (according to manufacturer's instructions) and place the pieces of cabbage, one at a time, lying horizontally in the feed tube. (If they don't fit, cut them to fit lying down.) Place the feed tube pusher on top and turn on the processor. Don't push on the feed tube pusher or the slices will turn out too thick! Continue with the remaining red and green cabbage quarters. Transfer into a large bowl, discarding any very large pieces. Before you pour the dressing on the salad, save a handful of the grated vegetables to decorate for serving. Change the slicing blade for the large shredding blade and cut the carrots so they also lie down in the feed tube. Since the carrots are hard, replace the feed tube pusher and press firmly with the food processor on. Transfer to bowl with the cabbages. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, both mustards, vinegar, celery salt, kosher salt, and pepper. Pour enough mayonnaise dressing over the grated vegetables and toss to moisten well. Add crumbled blue cheese and parsley and toss together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I have found you can do almost anything with a head of cabbage, a few carrots and an onion or two: my mom and dad used to keep it simple; shredded cabbage and dad never used a grater, processor or anything; he chopped it himself. Then addad about a carrot and a finely chopped onion. the dressing was simply Miracle whip (yuk) with t a little sweet pickle juice and a litte salt and pepper. We never used sugar in ours and I still don't.

For me, I use the 3 above ingredients and doctor them up: 1 of my favorites is Asain. I have posted the recipe a couple of times, but to keep it simple it is basic, with a little cilantro, and grated ginger. The dressing is made with a tiny bit of mayo (not miracle whip please) soy sause, olive oil and rice vinegar.

Another favorite is So of the border: again the basic ingredients but add, finely chopped jalapeno, again a little cilantro, and some pacante sause. Instead of vinegar I use lime juice, a little lime jest and some mayo mixed with a little sour cream..

Sometimes especially in the winter I will add a chopped apple or a small can of pineapple and a few sunflower seeds. I do not like the pre packaged cold slow or bottled cold slaw dressing, but they do work fine in a hurry. It is like any bottled dressing, we rarely use them but it is nice to have a couple on hand just in case.

Those are just a few ways we change the basic into something different and tasty....

Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Hi friends,

I am looking for some different cole slaw recipes rather than the "usual".
Try it warm

Shrimp With Warm Coleslaw
Serving Size : 4
1 lb shrimp, large, ready to cook
8 pcs bacon slices -- thick, halved
1 lb coleslaw or just plain shredded cabbage
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c fresh chives -- finely chopped
salt and pepper

Rinse and pat dry the shrimp. (I use already cooked frozen shrimp from a bag. Defrosted and de-tailed)

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble. Leave at least 2 T bacon grease in the pan.

Cook shrimp in bacon grease 4 to 5 minutes or until opaque. Remove from pan.

Add more bacon grease to pan, cook coleslaw 6 minutes or until wilted. Add shrimp and bacon. Stir in vinegar and chives. (Don't be leaning over the pot when you add the vinegar or the fumes will getcha.

If you use plain cabbage and want more veggies - add a shredded carrot and some finely diced onion. I've microwaved mine and then added them to the grease at the same time as the cabbage. This is a recipe to play with I LOVE this stuff!

(Can use crumbled breakfast sausage and grease if in a pinch)

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 242 Calories; 10g Fat (36.5% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 195mg Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
The usual veggies but I prefer a vinegar and oil dressing with a bit of sweet relish and a lil bit of sugar or sweetener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes