Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,770,327 times

Advertisements

Slow-cooker pot roast couldn't be easier.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...ker-pot-roast/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:32 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Glad he was happy with your results, OP!

Thinking of the Sara Lee products reminded me of a birthday dessert I once got in a restaurant. It's very easy to replicate at home'

Slice cake once or twice lengthwise. Spread with lemon curd. Frost with whipped cream mixed with a little lemon curd and garnish with berries.

It's a nice, light and refreshing dessert for Spring or after a heavy meal.
OMG, since you posted this, I've been lusting after it. All on my shopping list and will be making it tomorrow - AND- on Tuesday for a dear friend who just had back surgery. Can hardly wait!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
OMG, since you posted this, I've been lusting after it. All on my shopping list and will be making it tomorrow - AND- on Tuesday for a dear friend who just had back surgery. Can hardly wait!
Easy-peasy, sayulita. Tell her to watch out for the pesky crumbs! If she has to lie absolutely still you could bring her one of those baby bibs with the crumb catchers on the bottom and she could just upend it into her mouth when the plate is empty.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:12 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The go-to easiest meal that generally impresses are a simple roast chicken...lots of tips with a simple web search, but seriously, it's beyond simply to roast a chicken...I tend to stuff the cavity with some peeled garlic cloves, a quartered lemon, a quartered onion, and a sprig of rosemary, season the chicken with a little butter, salt, pepper, and squeeze a lemon over it, and call it good.

Paired with simple mashed potatoes (or oven roasted, even eaiser), and pan juices, it's great and easy.
Another good idea for another day...ty Tabula!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,645 posts, read 18,001,275 times
OP, great that you made dinner and it went well! I know you don't need this anymore, but I have to share this really elegant and completely simple dessert recipe.

Brownies and ice cream with hot orange raspberry sauce.

Make Duncan Heinz double fudge brownies from a box, adding 3/4 tsp ancho chili powder that you might have to order on amazon.

Buy Breyers natural vanilla ice cream (or really any upscale vanilla ice cream).

Get raspberry jam and an orange. Put jam in a sauce pan and squeeze the juice of the orange into it. Stir and Heat.

Place the brownie, and a dollop of ice cream on a dessert plate, and drizzle the hot raspberry jam sauce on top. Oh my gosh.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:28 PM

Wonderful directions for a newbie! And an OLDIE! Will try it!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Easy-peasy, sayulita. Tell her to watch out for the pesky crumbs! If she has to lie absolutely still you could bring her one of those baby bibs with the crumb catchers on the bottom and she could just upend it into her mouth when the plate is empty.
She's pretty ambulatory bit still is not allowed to drive, climb much or bend. I'm taking her to a park, feeding her marinated veggies on a toothpick, mini croissants filled with fresh Dungeness crab/chive salad, and your Sara Lee cake with lemon curd, whipped cream and strawberries with a little maple syrup. She has to eat standing up, so will proceed accordingly! I've already warned her that things may be a little mushed, but heck, that will only enhance the flavors! The birds at the park can have her crumbs and her husband the leftovers! Well some of them, I'm keeping some!

Old 04-27-2019, 03:13 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times
I like to make pernil (Puerto Rican roast pork). Buy a pork shoulder. Make a rub out of apple cider vinegar (most recipes call for white vinegar, but I find apple cider vinegar to be more flavorful), olive oil, salt (a LOT of salt), pepper, oregano, and minced garlic (a good amount). Cut 1/4 inch thick holes all around the pork shoulder and spoon the mixture inside of the slits before rubbing the remainder all around the shoulder. This should all be done in giant ziplock bag. Let this marinate for at least 12 hours (I typically let marinate for 24 hours). Cook covered at 325 for 6-8 hours, taking the cover off for the last 30 minutes to let the skin crisp up. When I say this will be some of the most tender, flavorful pork that you've had, I do not exaggerate!

Note, you can find measurements for the ingredients if you do a search online, but I just eyeball everything :lol:

The marinating and cook time takes a while, but the recipe is pretty simple otherwise.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM

4,615 posts, read 3,309,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I like to make pernil (Puerto Rican roast pork). Buy a pork shoulder. Make a rub out of apple cider vinegar (most recipes call for white vinegar, but I find apple cider vinegar to be more flavorful), olive oil, salt (a LOT of salt), pepper, oregano, and minced garlic (a good amount). Cut 1/4 inch thick holes all around the pork shoulder and spoon the mixture inside of the slits before rubbing the remainder all around the shoulder. This should all be done in giant ziplock bag. Let this marinate for at least 12 hours (I typically let marinate for 24 hours). Cook covered at 325 for 6-8 hours, taking the cover off for the last 30 minutes to let the skin crisp up. When I say this will be some of the most tender, flavorful pork that you've had, I do not exaggerate!

Note, you can find measurements for the ingredients if you do a search online, but I just eyeball everything :lol:

The marinating and cook time takes a while, but the recipe is pretty simple otherwise.
Now that sounds delicious! Modcut I'm going to try this, but - how much vinegar? Just enough to dampen the rest of the stuff? Or? I've never used a rub.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-19-2019 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: stay on topic please

Old 08-19-2019, 04:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't do a lot of cooking but I would like to learn more. I have a day off & I'm looking to make a nice dinner for my boyfriend tonight which would impress ...but not be too hard to prepare. I have to start slow..Lol. Anyone have favorite recipes they could share? I also plan to scour the internet....but I thought it was worth a try to ask here too....thank you!
cook him a steak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes