Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 05:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times

Advertisements

Fruit infused waters
"lemonade" made a la OutdoorLover's method
Unsweetened iced tea and/or herbal infusions of various flavors
Ginger water infusion with a dollop of cider vinegar

That's what I use today. When I was younger and didn't have diabetes, I loved half Dr. Pepper/half orange soda. It's very similar to a bottled soda in Germany and amazingly refreshing on a very, very hot day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 PM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Fruit infused waters
"lemonade" made a la OutdoorLover's method
Unsweetened iced tea and/or herbal infusions of various flavors
Ginger water infusion with a dollop of cider vinegar

That's what I use today. When I was younger and didn't have diabetes, I loved half Dr. Pepper/half orange soda. It's very similar to a bottled soda in Germany and amazingly refreshing on a very, very hot day.
Thanks for the tip on the ginger/water infusion! :-)

Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I mostly like water in summer,but cannot resist homemade raspberry syrup, lemon juice and water mixed and chilled in the fridge.A wonderful childhood memory.Otherwise perfect on a hot summer day is a cucumber spritzer,any homemade fruit lemonade without sugar,mint/lime drink,ice coffee is always a winner on a mid afternoon.
That just took me back to my childhood summer visits to family in the old country - we would take that raspberry syrup and dilute it with soda water from the big bottles that the soda vendors would bring around town, in the back of a rickety truck with wooden planks on the sides of the truck bed. We also loved the syrup our grandmama made from elderflowers and lemons in the spring, and dilute it with water and serve chilled.

Now I'm content with ice water for the most part, but will occasionally indulge with a can of fruit flavored San Pellegrino or Perrier carbonated water.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:25 AM

126,267 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That just took me back to my childhood summer visits to family in the old country - we would take that raspberry syrup and dilute it with soda water from the big bottles that the soda vendors would bring around town, in the back of a rickety truck with wooden planks on the sides of the truck bed. We also loved the syrup our grandmama made from elderflowers and lemons in the spring, and dilute it with water and serve chilled.

Now I'm content with ice water for the most part, but will occasionally indulge with a can of fruit flavored San Pellegrino or Perrier carbonated water.
I remember the Holunder/elderberry syrup very well.Mother used to make all sorts of syrups filling them in tall clear bottles and they were stored in the basement and throughout the year we had always fresh syrup and just needed to thin down with water or the syrup was added in herbal tea.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 665,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I remember the Holunder/elderberry syrup very well.Mother used to make all sorts of syrups filling them in tall clear bottles and they were stored in the basement and throughout the year we had always fresh syrup and just needed to thin down with water or the syrup was added in herbal tea.
This reminds me of my childhood when our grandmother would make syrups as well. Tamarind was a favorite along with local raspberry and blackberry. That was a sweet treat on a warm day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes