Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,337,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Going along with the thread in the main forum for stretching your food budget. I am looking for some good recipes for using dried beans. I went a little nutty last food shopping expedition and bought a ton of dried beans, now I don't know what to do with them all. So I am here to ask my food friends for some help.

I tried making my own refried beans last week and they came out just "alright". They seemed dry and lacking in flavor that the ones in the can seem to have.

Also looking for some good soup recipes anything you can come up with. So let's hear it for BEANS!!!!
I've made a lot of refried beans, and mine are better than canned - though not as convenient. I just keep aside some cooked pinto beans to make them. I also use finely chopped and fried bacon instead of lard to fry the beans, and some finely diced jalapenos. Once the bacon is all crispy, I put the beans into the pan with the bacon and grease, along with some of the water, and start smooshing with a fork - not all the beans should be mashed, just most of them. If it's too wet, keep simmering until it dries out a bit, if it looks too dry, add more of the bean water. Then it's time to make all kinds of goodies, especially home made burritos!

One thing I would never do is make them vegetarian style - the canned vegetarian are totally tasteless, and the home made isn't much better, even with corn or olive oil. I like it best by far with bacon, or even just lard, bad as that is for the arteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 AM

622 posts, read 1,726,025 times
I make refried beans with different types of beans as well. Black beans refried are delicious! If you don't want to use the fat and make them refritos, making bean purees are also really tasty. Just add flavored liquid or pot liquor from the pot beans and that's it.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,008,634 times
Frijoles de la Olla

How to make Frijoles

Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
I'm curious...how did you make your beans? If you explain what you did from package to plate we'll probably be able to fix your dry frijoles refritos problem. Homemade refried beans is a joy not to be passed up! lol
Actually it was so long ago I don't remember the recipe I used to make them. My problem is my dh doesn't eat red meat or pork so using lard or bacon grease is out. Any ideas how to give them some flavor without using the above?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM

622 posts, read 1,726,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Actually it was so long ago I don't remember the recipe I used to make them. My problem is my dh doesn't eat red meat or pork so using lard or bacon grease is out. Any ideas how to give them some flavor without using the above?
I'd use extra virgin olive oil and garlic going the mediterranean/middle eastern route or ghee and a little hing (asafoetida) and go the indian route. These are both excellent to use as bean flavorings, and the respective cooking traditions I mentioned actively make bean purees/refritos routinely in their cuisine. Make sure you use salt and pepper, and don't be afraid to add liquid to thin, and if it's too much, just cook the liquid out. Adding a bit of cumin seed to either would give some nice zip.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,371,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Bird egg beans? Ok, are the ones you've seen also called "speckled Borlotti beans" ? Aka these: http://oneblockwest.blogspot.com/2008/07/bird-egg-beans.html AND
http://bp0.blogger.com/_5fYKSwuiiWw/SInvtFUBheI/AAAAAAAAALI/3z0c3oVOnbg/s1600-h/birdeggs.jpg AND
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2935876719_ed1126f4f3.jpg?v=0

They seem to come in different varieties, speckled kidney beans, speckled Borlotti beans, speckled cow bean, purple speckled kidney, etc.

You can buy these at Redflower online for less than 2 bucks/lb. (they are in NJ) they call'em Cranberry (Borlotti) Beans.
OMGoshthats what I been looking for Thanks a million

Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 AM

635 posts, read 1,688,458 times
Yaaayy!! Btw, love the Corgy in your profile pic ~ my neighbor in Cali used to have one and we had him on a regular petting schedule (they are sooooo smart).

Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,371,233 times
Went shopping today. Decided to see if they have BEB by the new name lol & they DID!!! The funny part is they didnt have them with the other dried beans they were on a different isle all alone. Along side of the dried the had canned to! Yep I am cooking some now for super!! Thanks again ....justhere

Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,958,684 times
Last week I had 2 bags of dry Navy Beans and made Navy Bean Soup with a ham bone. I made this in a crock pot going all day, nice and slow. You can Google a recipe as I don't have one on hand but beans and crock pot go well together.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM

840 posts, read 3,471,930 times
Default Bean with bacon soup

Navy beans (I thik some call them pinto beans---you know, the white colored ones like you see in Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup)..

I add chopped onion, celery and carrots plus a pretty decent amount of both garlic and onion powder along with some tomato product like V-8 and/or stewed tomatoes. I might even add just a little picante. Shortly before it is done I add some cooked (pretty crisp) bacon.

Very simple. Usually have those things in my kitchen anyway.

And I make a batch of Jiffy Cornbread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes