Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 06:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,695 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if I could just put the liver over cut up onions and put it in a slow cooker with some boullion or tomato sauce or something like that. I don't want to add fat to the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 07:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I am wondering if I could just put the liver over cut up onions and put it in a slow cooker with some boullion or tomato sauce or something like that. I don't want to add fat to the recipe.
There's tons of recipes on Pinterest for slow-cooked liver and onions, even with tomatoes (ugh). My preference would be to use some kind of onion-based broth or soup base to substitute for the onion gravy you'd normally end up with if you saute the liver and onions.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:38 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
You cut onions into small slices.
Skillet onions until they turn yellow.
Cut liver into mid size cubes.
Toss onto onions.
Mix frequently, as they cook very fast. Add salt to taste.
Liver cooks very fast. Entire process takes about 20 minutes. Very delicious. Just don't bring it as lunch among Americans, they freak out over liver. Unless you somewhere real deep country, where they still sell it in eateries.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:40 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Ah, and not to forget. DO NOT cook liver in cooker or pot. Do not add water. It will turn into mush. Liver got to be fried, it's too soft for cooking, falls apart.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Toss onto onions.
Liver cooks very fast. Entire process takes about 20 minutes. Very delicious. Just don't bring it as lunch among Americans, they freak out over liver. Unless you somewhere real deep country, where they still sell it in eateries.
Hey, that's not always true about Americans not liking liver and onions. My Mom made THE best liver and onions when I was growing up and I still fix it her way today. Everyone loved it except my Dad, so we ate it when he wasn't home for dinner, lol. I still buy it as carry-out at a local restaurant too when I don't feel like cooking - they really give you a whole lot of liver and "mashed pots" as the sign says.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
There's tons of recipes on Pinterest for slow-cooked liver and onions, even with tomatoes (ugh). My preference would be to use some kind of onion-based broth or soup base to substitute for the onion gravy you'd normally end up with if you saute the liver and onions.
I'm not too keen on the tomato with the liver, but thought maybe it would give it a moist base. I'll look on pinterest, thanks. Do you make liver and onions? My mother would make it quite often and I loved it, but am afraid to make it myself, plus I want to keep the fat down.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Toss onto onions.
I know some workers get upset when they smell someone's lunch and they don't like it. I never had that problem. There is a place about 40 minutes away (I'm willing to travel sometimes) that cooks liver & onions very nicely. I tell them to please put a lot of onions on the plate and they do. Then I eat some and take the rest home and I put it through a machine that makes frozen fruit type desserts and I make chopped liver, with the onions and all! It's delicious. They don't sell chopped liver in containers where we live (south western PA). They do sell liver, however, frozen, and after all this time I really need to learn to make it. :-)

Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I really need to learn to make it. :-)
Heat up a cast Iron pan or non-stick ( Med.Hi )

Rinse Liver in COLD Water, pat dry do not leave on paper towel.

Cut up some Bacon or strips...and fry until your favorite doneness... set Bacon on paper towel.
Cut up a whole Onion and place them in the Bacon Grease and toss around until they
are just starting to change color ( have a large flat plate or pan with some flour, Salt, Pepper
and Garlic powder and Paprika well mixed ready )

Place floured Liver cutlets next to the Onions, once you see the the bubbles coming out using a large
spatula, flip Liver then make sure to put Onions on top of the Liver then place Bacon on top of that.
( This will put a nice crust on the liver, cooking time will depend on the thickness of your cutlets )

Using your spatula, go under the Liver and flip onto a serving plate making sure the Onions & Bacon
are under the Liver, grind on a bit of fresh ground Black Pepper and taste before adding salt.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Heat up a cast Iron pan or non-stick ( Med.Hi )

Rinse Liver in COLD Water, pat dry do not leave on paper towel.

Cut up some Bacon or strips...and fry until your favorite doneness... set Bacon on paper towel.
Cut up a whole Onion and place them in the Bacon Grease and toss around until they
are just starting to change color ( have a large flat plate or pan with some flour, Salt, Pepper
and Garlic powder and Paprika well mixed ready )

Place floured Liver cutlets next to the Onions, once you see the the bubbles coming out using a large
spatula, flip Liver then make sure to put Onions on top of the Liver then place Bacon on top of that.
( This will put a nice crust on the liver, cooking time will depend on the thickness of your cutlets )

Using your spatula, go under the Liver and flip onto a serving plate making sure the Onions & Bacon
are under the Liver, grind on a bit of fresh ground Black Pepper and taste before adding salt.
This is the best recipe, and the one I use, except we don't like bacon with ours, wanting a more British taste. I would add that all this putting the liver into a crock pot, cooking it for ages, etc. - NO! The more done liver gets, the more pasty it tastes. You want it to taste like meat, not cardboard paste.

I try to get the thinnest liver slices I can. If I can physically cut them thinner when I get the package home, I do. Then you fry them for the shortest time possible. I have seen me do thin slices for 1 minute on each side. A couple of minutes each side for thicker ones. This is the secret to good taste without pastiness. Don't overcook liver.

I make a gravy beforehand and serve them with the onions and mashed potato. If you wait to make the gravy until you've cooked the meat, your meat will be overdone, even if you put it into the oven to keep warm. Freshness is the key.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I agree with all those who say, just fry it in a pan. It will be horrid in a crockpot. It won't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes