Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 02:42 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Then you'd likely hate our favorite holiday side dishes:

Cranberry salad, involving cranberries, Jell-O, oranges, apples, celery, and walnuts
Sangria gelatin fruit ring, involving Jell-O, sangria, club soda, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and grapes
There are several really good Jell-O molds that bring back wonderful memories for me from holidays in the 60s-80s. I love a lime Jell-O mold, which is usually served at Easter, and a Cranberry one. Yours sounds better because it involves sangria.

There are lots of Mid Century Kitsch food blogs right now that depict absolutely awful ingredients like hot dogs, canned soup, cabbage, and SPAM. I do not recall anyone "back in the day" eating anything remotely that weird. Maybe they were in woman's magazines of the day, but I was never served one.

I'm thinking of adding a cranberry Jell-O mold this year. No kids or guests! Why not go wild?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Sides:
Crustless onion pie
Brandied carrots
Roasted vegetables
Apple cider turkey gravy
Sangria gelatin mold

Desserts:
Woolworth Ice Box Cheesecake
Pecan custard
Pumpkin mousse
All of these sound so tasty! I love onion pie - I have never had a crustless one, though. Also, what is a Woolworth Ice Box Cheesecake?

Old 11-15-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
One more. My husband's family always made these carrots for holidays and we've kept up the tradition. It came from a 1960's Time Life book, Great Dinners from Life. The dish looks very pretty and couldn't be easier.

Mustard Glazed Carrots

2 lbs carrots
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Scrape the carrots and cut them in half lengthwise, then into two-inch sections. Cook in boiling water with the salt added, covered, until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. In a small saucepan cook the butter, mustard, and brown sugar until syrupy, about 3 minutes. Pour over carrots and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
I am trying these. The recipe does have a 1960s taste to it. We are both mustard fans. Do you use a special type of mustard?

Old 11-15-2020, 05:55 PM

882 posts, read 767,197 times
Norma Watkins Green Bean Casserole (So not your normal Green bean casserole.

2 Tablespoon butter, divided
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 pint sour cream
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, grated
2 (16 ounce) cans Jack and the Beanstalk whole green beans, drained
Cracker crumbs

Melt 2 teaspoons butter and stir in flour, salt, pepper, sugar and onion. Ad sour cream. Stir until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole. Place beans in first and top with cheese sauce. Cover with cracker crumbs and sprinkle with remaining butter. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serves 8.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:03 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are several really good Jell-O molds that bring back wonderful memories for me from holidays in the 60s-80s. I love a lime Jell-O mold, which is usually served at Easter, and a Cranberry one. Yours sounds better because it involves sangria.

There are lots of Mid Century Kitsch food blogs right now that depict absolutely awful ingredients like hot dogs, canned soup, cabbage, and SPAM. I do not recall anyone "back in the day" eating anything remotely that weird. Maybe they were in woman's magazines of the day, but I was never served one.

I'm thinking of adding a cranberry Jell-O mold this year. No kids or guests! Why not go wild?
Meatloaf igloo frosted with mashed potatoes?

https://bookofwonders.tumblr.com/pos...oo-that-is-all

I can give a guess why they came up with all that stuff in the Fifties. New convenience foods looked too effortless. And the fact that more women were going into the work force after the War.

What with vacuum cleaners, washing machines and dryers the women that were still staying at home needed to develop some creativity to show they were still hard at work. It must have been a real shift in homemakers' workload.

I have to admit that I still like a raspberry jello (no mold!) with drained raspberries in it topped with a mix of Cool Whip and cream cheese. Hardly a "real" ingredient in it but it tastes good and gives you something to do after dinner - discreetly toothpick the raspberry seeds out of your teeth.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
I just found out I will be cooking Thanksgiving for my little family instead of heading out to let someone else do all the work!

Since I’m the member of the family who cares the most but also the person doing all the work, I will be taking certain shortcuts. But my mom’s wreath of roses cranberry sauce mold will certainly be made! It’s just a traditional cranberry sauce with a little extra sugar, cooked down so it will gel. It’s beautiful and I must have it.

I’m going to make an appetizer that possibly only I like - I have to eat something while I cook, right? It feels very vintage and was my late friend’s mother’s recipe.

Softened cream cheese mixed with a jar of sliced green olives (drained) and chopped toasted walnuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve with celery sticks and triscuits. It’s sort of begging to be a cheese ball, but we never made it that way. I will eat this and remember my dear friend and the beautiful bacon wrapped turkey we made the one other Thanksgiving I hosted. This year I am doing the smallest turkey breast I can find.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:38 PM

Our Thanksgiving will just be the two of us. I am taking it as an opportunity to make foods that are not terribly popular with my grown kids and their SOs.

So, this year I am making mashed turnips, (rutabaga) https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-d...urnips-2217302, and Finnish beetroot salad with cucumber pickles, and potatoes.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I just found out I will be cooking Thanksgiving for my little family instead of heading out to let someone else do all the work!

Since I’m the member of the family who cares the most but also the person doing all the work, I will be taking certain shortcuts. But my mom’s wreath of roses cranberry sauce mold will certainly be made! It’s just a traditional cranberry sauce with a little extra sugar, cooked down so it will gel. It’s beautiful and I must have it.

I’m going to make an appetizer that possibly only I like - I have to eat something while I cook, right? It feels very vintage and was my late friend’s mother’s recipe.

Softened cream cheese mixed with a jar of sliced green olives (drained) and chopped toasted walnuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve with celery sticks and triscuits. It’s sort of begging to be a cheese ball, but we never made it that way. I will eat this and remember my dear friend and the beautiful bacon wrapped turkey we made the one other Thanksgiving I hosted. This year I am doing the smallest turkey breast I can find.
How do you make the cranberry sauce mold? Do you need to add additional Jell-O? That sounds good. So does the appetizers!

Old 11-16-2020, 05:13 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
https://www.keyingredient.com/recipe...ox-cheesecake/

Old 11-16-2020, 05:13 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How do you make the cranberry sauce mold? Do you need to add additional Jell-O? That sounds good. So does the appetizers!
There is no jello in my cranberry sauce, just cranberries, orange zest, water, and sugar. I compared mom’s recipe card to the recipe on the bag of berries, and the only difference is her sugar ratio is higher. She also notes that if your chilled mold fails to gel, you may pour it back in the saucepan and cook it down some more. Of course her recipe is vague on exactly how long it will take to get to the right point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes