Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There is no jello in my cranberry sauce, just cranberries, orange zest, water, and sugar. I compared mom’s recipe card to the recipe on the bag of berries, and the only difference is her sugar ratio is higher. She also notes that if your chilled mold fails to gel, you may pour it back in the saucepan and cook it down some more. Of course her recipe is vague on exactly how long it will take to get to the right point!

Vague recipes seem common with Moms. I asked my Mom to write down some recipes for my favorites, what I typically got was like the one for pierogis which was basically 'take some flour, eggs, a little salt, make a dough, rollll it out, fill with potatoes or sauerkraut and boil. She seemed to think little details like amounts would be in my DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 03:45 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Since no kids will be home, I am removing the Green Bean casserole and adding Spinach Souffle. We both love it.

Here is a recipe https://dinnerthendessert.com/stouff...inach-souffle/

Old 11-22-2020, 03:53 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe some cheese, too?
I am a habitual portioner as MIL used to hack pies of whatever kind to bits.

Grease muffin tins heavily if possible with bacon grease. I add a paper thin slice of hot pepper to the bottom of the pan. Preheat oven!
Shredded cheese is a good addition. When I send nibbles to SO's play dates I add pre cooked finely chopped onions and a bit of ham.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:56 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Vague recipes seem common with Moms. I asked my Mom to write down some recipes for my favorites, what I typically got was like the one for pierogis which was basically 'take some flour, eggs, a little salt, make a dough, rollll it out, fill with potatoes or sauerkraut and boil. She seemed to think little details like amounts would be in my DNA.
It makes sense. She is talking about a basic noodle dough with filling. Can you ask her to measure for you?

Old 11-22-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It makes sense. She is talking about a basic noodle dough with filling. Can you ask her to measure for you?

Unfortunately not, she passed in 2001 but had a good, long run. It just brought back memories of how vague she'd be with recipes but I've kinda followed in the same vein with many things being more by feel than anything else. Brought to mind my paternal grandmother who had a big cast iron stove in the kitchen with no temperature controls, it was all about the fire and placement of the pots. I was very young and never realized what a genius she was to produce the dishes she did. When she made pierogis she'd knead the dough and let it rest several times, like velvet! So many memories associated with food. I may have to make some for Thursday although when I do it the kitchen looks like a disaster.

Last edited by burdell; 11-22-2020 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-22-2020, 05:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But it hangs together well? I mean the shape. I don't love using Jell-O because once I saw how it's made and it was gross. I put it out of my mind when needed.

Anyway, I'd like to try this. When I think of it, canned cranberry sauce holds together and it has no gelitine in it so this could too.
Yes! The first year I made it, I had the failed to gel problem. Most years since then, I have overcompensated for that by cooking it past the point I should, thereby making a mold so stiff I had trouble unmolding! Still delicious though. This year I am striving for the Goldilocks version... cooked just right.

Quote:
I hear you! Did you ever get a better recipe out of your mom?

Old 11-23-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I hear you! Did you ever get a better recipe out of your mom?

Not so much but I've pretty much learned to do it by feel. When I was a kid I'd ask her when she'd make pierogis again and sometimes get a little bit of a groan, what I learned is it really is a fair amount of work, But it always amazes me how something so simple, basically just flour, eggs, salt, and potatoes can be so good when done right. Pure comfort food to me.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Not so much but I've pretty much learned to do it by feel. When I was a kid I'd ask her when she'd make pierogis again and sometimes get a little bit of a groan, what I learned is it really is a fair amount of work, But it always amazes me how something so simple, basically just flour, eggs, salt, and potatoes can be so good when done right. Pure comfort food to me.
I get it! I love them too, and I’ve probably never even had great ones, and certainly have never made them. I think pierogi must follow the Taco Principle - even bad ones are good.

Sheena, here’s a pic of my cranberry wreath from another year.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:53 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I'm making Thanksgiving dessert this afternoon. Generally, everyone is too stuffed to want dessert, but I will have it in the freezer just in case.

I'm making chocolate chip cookies, from the tollhouse package recipe. Once they are cooled, I will put a scoop of brown cow ice cream between two cookies.

Place them on a silicon mat on a cookie sheet and into the freezer to harden. Then they get individually wrapped and stored.

I have to make the cookies today because as soon as I am not the only one in the house, I can bake a huge batch of cookies and not have any cookies to make ice cream sandwiches with. They get eaten right out of the oven.

I was so surprised, the first time I ever made chocolate chip cookies when I was alone in the house, at how many cookies the recipe makes.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Pretty cranberry wreath!

oregonwoodsmoke, that's a good idea for dessert when you aren't sure if anyone is going to want one. And a homemade ice cream bar can sound tempting even if you have a full tummy.

Here's my Mud Pie:

Layer of crushed Oreo cookies mixed with melted butter. Press into pan.

2-3" of coffee ice cream or any chocolate favorite.

Layer of hot fudge topping.

Layer of Oreo crumbs.

Freeze.

This goes together quick and most people like it. You can add nuts, maraschino cherries, whipped cream if you want to dress it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes