Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times

Advertisements

My default drink is unsweetened lemonade. I use one cup of fresh lemon juice and two cups of unchlorinated cold water. Then I add plenty of ice. I can drink the whole thing.

Another favorite is cold tomato juice with plenty of lemon juice. I add plenty of ice.

Here's another: tonic water with lemon, lime, or both. This is an unusual drink, but it's very tasty.

I never add any sweetener: it leaves a sticky aftertaste and requires an accompaniment of cold water.

Cold Cucumber Soup: this is a good starting point. Use plenty of salt.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...cucumber-soup/

Don't forget Vichyssoise. I use extra leeks. Vegetable stock is better.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13205/vichyssoise/

What are your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Plain water doesn’t rehydrate well enough during the dog days.

I used to mix a 50/50 blend of unsweetened fruity herbal tea (such as Red Zinger) with a berry-cherry-apple juice (such as the formerly good Juicy Juice). Then I would mix in a little Morton Lite Salt, which combines sodium choride, potassium choride, and magnesium carbonate.

A good one for drinking at home is seltzer water, fresh lime juice, and a spoonful or so of unsweetened tart cherry concentrate.

Tomato juice variants go well with chips, and that takes care of the salt replenishment!

A little eatery we sometimes went to kept a large glass minikeg filled with cold water, slices of melons, assorted berries, and citrus slices. After hours of letting the fruits infuse the water, they would scoop out the rinds and serve the water. Delicious.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Mango nectar and vodka for me.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,721 times
Real Ginger Ale & Lemonade

Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

1,371 posts, read 667,171 times
I've been making tequitos since I had 1 at our fave Mexican restaurant. A mojito made with tequila instead of rum, agave instead of simple syrup, and a Mexican sparkling mineral water, plus lime juice obviously.

3 oz white/silver tequila
1.5 ounce light agave
Juice of 1 lime
1 large mint leaf or equivalent, torn into several pieces
2-3 ounces Topo Chico mineral water

In a large glass with ice cubes, muddle mint, add tequila, muddle, add agave, stir rapidly to dissolve, add lime juice, add mineral water. Stir rapidly to mix well and kind of froth. You can also mix in a cocktail shaker.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Nonalcoholic - Sparkling water (Soda Stream) with fresh lemon squeezed in and floated.

Alcoholic - Tom Collins

Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I like cucumber water. I chop cucumber into 3 or 4, & put it in a pitcher if water for the fridge. I find it very refreshing.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:40 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
My goto 99.9% of the time is water, from the tap (be that city water or well, doesn't matter), no ice. If it's really hot, and it gets really hot down here in Georgia, and I feel like it, I'll add a little ice... enough that it's melted by the time the glass is full with nothing left over. Nothing more refreshing than a glass of water for me.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Took my daughter to Baskin Robbins for their Stranger Things themed offers. They made us an 'Elevenade' which was delicious. I had several sips of her drink.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
For girl time sitting around chatting, I love to get any sort of wine, and mix it half and half with seltzer water or club soda, or if you want it sweeter, ginger ale. Plenty of ice, and then I muddle fresh mint leaves in it.

Sometimes I'll do merlot or a rich red, with club soda, and fresh basil instead of mint.

It's light, refreshing, but with just a little punch.

For non alcoholic refreshment, I just make up a big pitcher of iced tea, unsweetened, and sip on that. Lipton now makes a sweetened ice tea bag, but I use half those tea bags and half unsweetened and it's just right!

And even though I don't really like cucumbers I do like cucumber water.

I add mint or lemon to everything! Mint especially makes drinks taste super refreshing, and it is incredibly easy to grow and just pick for some flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes