Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 03:29 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

The beauty of a bundt cake is that you don't need an intricate design to have a lovely looking cake. It can be just a plain old tube pan. You can make almost any cake recipe into a bundt cake including pound cake, carrot cake, zucchini bread, chocolate cake, the list is endless. Because of the hole in the middle, it bakes evenly without much worry the center will be underdone.
It's about the easiest cake you can make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 03:46 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I don't own a Bundt pan. It always seemed to me the intricate designs would be a pain to grease and flour and then later clean.
After reading the above posts I am thinking maybe I should give them a try.
Use the baking sprays that have grease and flour in them. The Pam brand has a picture of a Bundt cake on it. I always let the pan soak for a while, then it cleans up pretty easily.

If I made bundt cakes more often, I'd get a crown or a jubilee or a crystal pan as I bet they make beautiful cakes. I'd have a hard time choosing. But, since I only make 1 once every year or so...

Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Use the baking sprays that have grease and flour in them. The Pam brand has a picture of a Bundt cake on it. I always let the pan soak for a while, then it cleans up pretty easily.

If I made bundt cakes more often, I'd get a crown or a jubilee or a crystal pan as I bet they make beautiful cakes. I'd have a hard time choosing. But, since I only make 1 once every year or so...
I learn something every day on here!

Old 05-05-2021, 07:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
They taste good.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
They taste good.
They do!
Also-
they look like a huge oversized donut
they look cool sliced when they are filled cakes https://grandbaby-cakes.com/wp-conte...0-683x1024.jpg
you can throw some fruit in the middle hole and it looks impressive, lol https://www.bunsenburnerbakery.com/w...-9Q2B1329.webp

Old 05-06-2021, 04:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,486 times
Remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding , someone brought a bunt cake , women said Look! She gave us a cake with a hole in it, they’d never seen one before Lol

Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well if you ever want to try, this recipe right here is one of the best I’ve ever made, or eaten. I got a marriage proposal once from someone that tried it LOL.

Nothing sacred about the recipe, it’s all over the ‘net, and for good reason. Super easy and ridiculously delicious.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/triple...-recipe-101366

I wanted to add, that just because you see stories of failure does not mean it’s a difficult thing. It usually means the person did something stupid and did not follow directions. It’s seriously easy. But there will always be people that can’t seem to make anything to save their life. Some people should never get near a kitchen LOL.

So, I wanted to try this before getting more deeply involved with the "Chocolate ring of coconut fudge bundt cake" also in this forum. I went to the market and first hurdle, the recipe calls for an 18oz box cake mix and most of the ones I saw were 15.25 oz, Brownie mixes were 18+ but I don't know how they differ from cake mix. I hate to make substitutions the first time I try something as if it comes out bleah! I have no way of telling if it's the recipe or the ingredient substitution. A 15% deviation from the called for amount seems significant, and I'm a lot more familiar with cooking than baking.

Hints, tips, tales from experience appreciated.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:50 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, I wanted to try this before getting more deeply involved with the "Chocolate ring of coconut fudge bundt cake" also in this forum. I went to the market and first hurdle, the recipe calls for an 18oz box cake mix and most of the ones I saw were 15.25 oz, Brownie mixes were 18+ but I don't know how they differ from cake mix. I hate to make substitutions the first time I try something as if it comes out bleah! I have no way of telling if it's the recipe or the ingredient substitution.

I would bet if you made a bundt cake from a brownie mix you could use it for a boat anchor. JMHO.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:04 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, I wanted to try this before getting more deeply involved with the "Chocolate ring of coconut fudge bundt cake" also in this forum. I went to the market and first hurdle, the recipe calls for an 18oz box cake mix and most of the ones I saw were 15.25 oz, Brownie mixes were 18+ but I don't know how they differ from cake mix. I hate to make substitutions the first time I try something as if it comes out bleah! I have no way of telling if it's the recipe or the ingredient substitution. A 15% deviation from the called for amount seems significant, and I'm a lot more familiar with cooking than baking.

This explains what happened and what to do, just substitute Devil's food for yellow cake mix.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...x-in-your-box/

Old 06-03-2021, 10:01 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
This explains what happened and what to do, just substitute Devil's food for yellow cake mix.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...x-in-your-box/

Thanks for this! I've been cooking a long time and can usually figure out what I need to do, sampling as I go along but baking is still a bit of a mystery to me as you mix things up and have no chance to sample until it comes out of the oven.

Looking forward to trying your cake recipe too, stopped at Goodwill yesterday and found a like-new heavy Farberware Bundt pan for $3.98.

Last edited by burdell; 06-03-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes