Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thanks for the zucchini relish recipe.

I'll post the hot pepper recipe as soon my computer internet connection is fixed. Imagine typing a recipe on a smartphone keyboard.
well I hope you get your computer working soon. I just got a new one: not hooked up yet. This one only works when it wants to and I am going nuts.

BTW, yesterday I did 4 pints of sweet and sour pickles and 4 1/2 pints of cuke dill relish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
I got a bunch of zucchini and yellow squash given to me....any ideas on what to can with it? It's a bit large to just slice and cook up. I still may do that with a few...but I have too much.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I got a bunch of zucchini and yellow squash given to me....any ideas on what to can with it? It's a bit large to just slice and cook up. I still may do that with a few...but I have too much.
Here is what I do with excess squash: 1-great casserole: 2-squash bread: 3-love to stuff the larger ones. It is just like making stuffed peppers. I cut the squash in 1/2; remove most of the inner part and mix hamburger or sausage, bread crumbs, onions and spices together. I use an egg to bind everything. Then fill the center with the mixture. You can use a tomato sauce if you want or just bake in a shallow dish with no sauce. We have been doing this for ages..4-squash relish, either hot and spicy or just plain relish. You can find recipes on line if you don't have a canning cook book.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
Quote:
I haven't canned zucchini - I always shred it, stuff it in baggies, and freeze it

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times
Quote:
I just made zucchini lasagna. I used my regular lasagna recipe but substituted 1/4" zucchini slices for the noodles. I did a quick steam on the slices and drained them before adding to the pan. Mine was also large so I cut the slices off the edges and got rid of the soft seeded middle.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Made the brine.
Cut the cukes.
Put the cukes and stuff in jar.
Added Brine into jar.

Never put it in the boiling bath. I only had 1 jar.

I wonder how long it can sit in the fridge for.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,293,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Made the brine.
Cut the cukes.
Put the cukes and stuff in jar.
Added Brine into jar.

Never put it in the boiling bath. I only had 1 jar.

I wonder how long it can sit in the fridge for.
Refrigerator pickles are usually good for a couple-three months. If they last that long! I am about to make a new batch of bread & butter pickles, and another batch of fermented garlic dills.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,293,111 times
Quote:
You can make zucchini pickles or relish. You can cut up and freeze the squash to use later. You can make zucchini cobbler (tastes just like apple). Um, let's see - how about canning it in tomato sauce? Del Monte's been doing that for decades.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You can make zucchini pickles or relish. You can cut up and freeze the squash to use later. You can make zucchini cobbler (tastes just like apple). Um, let's see - how about canning it in tomato sauce? Del Monte's been doing that for decades.
freezing squash whether cooked or raw does make for a pretty saggy veggie. for some this might work, for us, nope. Squash is one thing that does not freeze well. I recommend either relish or using it in a bread. When I was a kid, mom used to cook squash with tomatoes and bread: Oh God, how I hated that.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 AM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Refrigerator pickles are usually good for a couple-three months. If they last that long! I am about to make a new batch of bread & butter pickles, and another batch of fermented garlic dills.
Thanks... I actually gave it a bath yesterday.. I guess that's what I was asking... how long can it sit in the fridge for before I give them a bath. Didn't know if it ruins the process if they sit for a day in the Brine without getting sealed.

Anyway ... it's done now.

I also made 2 jars of Tomato Sauce with Cuor Di Bue and Roma Mix. You can see the picture of the yield here.

I boiled the Pickles first for 15 minutes (1 Jar) then put the Tomato Jars in for 50 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes