Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why not just use it as syrup? Nothing wrong with syrup. Another thing one can do is open up the syrup and then try to set it again on the stove as needed one at a time. When you get it to set, just remember the procedure and just consider your stock a semi-processed stored resource. 9/10 of canning is preservation.
I may do that. Just try to set it as I open it...and then make it a refrigerator jam. I had a half of a pint left over that I didn't can, but put in the fridge. I used a bit last night on pork chops...it was excellent. It's like a syrup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:32 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
Yes we went all out, ( Hubbys Idea !!) so next year I be all set.
I will make some stewed tomatoes sense those are easy breezy.

I need to make grape Jelly but no grape juice , anyone make it with store bought Juice if so what kind?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I may do that. Just try to set it as I open it...and then make it a refrigerator jam. I had a half of a pint left over that I didn't can, but put in the fridge. I used a bit last night on pork chops...it was excellent. It's like a syrup.
Another advantage of syrup is one can cheaply make a lower sugar syrup and water bath can it. Crab apples set with little effort and is what I prefer to make for jelly. I also use some sort of sour apple with mulberry that needs plenty of help with acid anyway. When I have done the same with wild plums, I just stopped bothering and let it be syrup, and noticed that I never worried about maple syrup being what it is either. So if anything you have more versatility.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:33 PM

560 posts, read 849,456 times
Mom sent her pressure cooker with my brother when he came to visit a month ago. Got new gaskets and gauge, and getting ready to do some canning for the first time! We put in a good size garden when we bought this house a few years ago but have frozen or dried everything extra. Planning this weekend to do pickles with our lemon cucumbers.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
We went apple picking yesterday. Of course this means I am canning spiced applesauce this morning. I will do apple butter later on. I am out of ideas for canning apples though. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas or recipes? Please?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
We went apple picking yesterday. Of course this means I am canning spiced applesauce this morning. I will do apple butter later on. I am out of ideas for canning apples though. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas or recipes? Please?
Apple Pie filling do a search for it in this thread you'll get the recipe I think.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Consider other methods of preserving. At some point the particular method of preserving becomes a surplus as you noticed. I often dry my apples in one of two forms, leather or dried pieces. I also make juice which can be frozen. The juice also then can become cider or wine, which given the big surplus of apples last year, was an easy 6 gallon batch. And then that can find its way to vinegar....

Old 09-15-2014, 12:53 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Consider other methods of preserving. At some point the particular method of preserving becomes a surplus as you noticed. I often dry my apples in one of two forms, leather or dried pieces. I also make juice which can be frozen. The juice also then can become cider or wine, which given the big surplus of apples last year, was an easy 6 gallon batch. And then that can find its way to vinegar....
I think you are right, I need to broaden my knowledge. I am very intrigued by turning it to juice. Alright I m off to learn how to do it. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I think you are right, I need to broaden my knowledge. I am very intrigued by turning it to juice. Alright I m off to learn how to do it. Thanks!

There are a few methods. My favorite way, which is also very good for crab apples , is to freeze them, and then put into a nylon bag and a soft fruit press. You can also put apple pieces in a blender to mash them , which will make for a dirty or cloudy juice, which I quite like.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
How about crabapples? Anyone got some recipes to use crabapples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes