Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

There always has to be Jello recipes.

Here's one I pieced togther.

Make Lemon or Lime Jello according to package directions, with the following additions:

When still hot, add 1/4 cup of lemon or lime juice. and stir it in good. Then, pour in a 1/2 cup of milk, which will curdle and all go to the top in an even layer. Put it in the fridge to set.

The milk will set into a nice soft curdly top layer, and the jello beneath will have a bit of zing to it, so it will be rich and tasty, and not insipid and sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Wink Okay, I'll bite!

Now, THAT'S a different recipe! However, I've learned that the most unique recipes often hold the biggest and most delicious surprises!

My mother-in-law serves this Jell-o recipe for most of her holiday dinners. We moved away a couple of years ago and I knew it wouldn't be a proper Thanksgiving dinner without it so I called to ask for the recipe. I don't know where she got it but it's worth passing on!

I took it to a friend's house for dinner yesterday and as soon as her husband took his first bite, he insisted on having the recipe. Luckily for him, and now, perhaps YOU, I typed it out with detailed instructions. I have listed the ingredients in the order they're used. Oh, and this year, I used sugar free Jell-o and couldn't tell a bit of difference from previous years.

Cherry Jell-o Supreme

3 oz. cherry Jell-o
½ can cherry pie filling (Comstock 21 oz)
½ can whole cranberry sauce (1 cup or more)
3 oz. lemon Jell-o
3 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Cool Whip
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 small can crushed pineapple (15 oz)
2 Tbsp. chopped pecans/walnuts

Dissolve cherry Jell-o in 1 c boiling water and stir for 2 minutes. Add pie filling and cranberry sauce and put in a flat Tupperware-type dish before putting in the fridge to chill till firm but NOT set. (I don't use the lid until I've added the last ingredient but I recommend a dish with a lid because it helps keep it fresh and protected once it's finished.)

In a separate bowl, cream together the Cool Whip, cream cheese and mayonnaise.

Dissolve lemon Jell-o in 1 c boiling water and stir for 2 minutes. Add marshmallows, Cool Whip mixture, and pineapple (with or without juice).

Once the cherry Jell-o mixture is firm but not set, you can carefully pour the lemon Jell-o mixture over the top. You want the lemon mixture to stay on top of the cherry mixture so you need to be sure the cherry one is thick enough to hold it up but not so set that the two won’t stick together. They need to finish setting up together to do that.

Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top and let everything finish setting up together. I make this the night before and set a timer to keep an eye on the Jell-o’s as they’re setting up.

Well, I hope you try it...and am certain that if you do, you will love it!

Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
I am no lover of jello and dont make the mysterious stuff, however, that cherry/cranberry jello sounds very good and I love lemon anything so might give one of these a try.. I am wonderfing if anyone knows about a GREEN jello holiday dish that is made with pineapple, either whip or sour cream ? My husband raves about how his mom made it every year and how traditional it is. Ring a bell with any jello lover ?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
NaNannie it's on every buffet/salad bar in MN but I don't have a clue as like you am not a Jello fan.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:32 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am no lover of jello and dont make the mysterious stuff, however, that cherry/cranberry jello sounds very good and I love lemon anything so might give one of these a try.. I am wonderfing if anyone knows about a GREEN jello holiday dish that is made with pineapple, either whip or sour cream ? My husband raves about how his mom made it every year and how traditional it is. Ring a bell with any jello lover ?
There's one made with lime jello, cool whip, marshmallows, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut, but I don't know the exact proportions. It was a favorite at our potlucks in AK, and it was called 'Better Than Sex' but I doubt if that's the real name.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Thanks, That sounds like it. He did say it had nuts. Maybe I will just improvise. How hard can it be?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Thanks, That sounds like it. He did say it had nuts. Maybe I will just improvise. How hard can it be?
I would suggest using a large package of jello, and adding one envelope of unflavored gelatin. Most of the ones I've had over the years were chilled and set in shallow pans, then cut into small cubes to mix with the other ingredients. I think it was more of a take-off on Waldorf salad than anything, then took on a life of it's own. And for anyone who doesn't already know, when pineapple is used in any kind of jello, it has to be canned, not fresh, or the jello won't set.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Years ago, my girlfriend and I noticed that there was a recipe on a Jello box, which looked good so we tried it. I think what we did was just put the hot unset jello half full into tall thin glasses, then put in abour equal amounts of vanilla ice cream, stirred intp each one, and put the glasses of it in the freezer. When they set, they came out obscenely decadent, and we just sat there and ate them all and wished we had more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes