Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM

359 posts, read 1,144,340 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I already have the habit of using applesauce instead of oil when I bake brownies..Now DH stated he has a craving for plain old yellow cake.
Can I do the same and sub the oil with applesauce for yellow cake?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
I have never in my life added oil to my cake or brownie mix & they've always turned out great, I don't substitute anything either.

On a different note, one of the best strawberry cakes I ever made I didn't have any eggs, it didn't rise & was this dense cake that we topped with ice cream.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Same here - I ignore the oil altogether! Just use a little milk to add moisture.

You could use crushed pineapple instead of applesauce, it will add some flavor but not overpowering

Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Hi,

I already have the habit of using applesauce instead of oil when I bake brownies..Now DH stated he has a craving for plain old yellow cake.

Thanks!
Our favorite was yellow or white cake made with crushed pineapple. I emptied a can of pineapple into a strainer and used the juice instead of water/oil, and if there wasn't enough, added a bit more water to it. Then once the cake batter is mixed, stir in the pineapple and pour into a single rectangular pan instead of 2 round pans. It's rich and moist enough that frosting would be wasted on it. A square of cake with ice cream is pretty good, though.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
I'd be a little more respectful of a dainty, layer cake than I would, say, a loaf cake like banana bread. I would use half of the oil, a nice one like cold processed canola and make up the difference with applesauce. Be sure to remove a Tbsp. of dry ingredients and slyly replace it with an equal amount of something like oat bran. It never hurts.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 13,861 times
Yes, use applesauce! I do it all the time and it turns out great! Don't even use oil, but replace it all with applesauce.
One of my friends thought the idea of applesauce was gross, so I baked her a cake with applesauce. She ate the cake and loved it, didn't even notice a difference. I personally think it tastes BETTER with the applesauce. It's moist and soft and tastes delicious.
I even tried putting it in cookies (half butter/half applesauce). Applesauce just makes the cookies a little more cake-like, and you might need to grease the pan a little. I've never tried applesauce in brownies, though.

Last edited by klhpensil; 09-18-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
This one has just a little oil in it, but it's tried and true!

Mom's No Cholesterol Apple Spice Bundt Cake

1-1/4 c flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 egg whites
1/2 c brown sugar -- packed
16 ozs applesauce
2 tbsps canola oil
1 apple -- peeled and chopped
1/2 c golden raisins
1/4 c walnuts -- chopped

Combine well first 5 ingredients

In another bowl, beat together next 4 ingredients

Fold the 2 mixtures together. Also add in the rest of the ingredients at the same time.

Pour into a 6-cup Bundt pan that has been sprayed with Pam

Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.

Cool for 5 minutes and unmold the cake onto a rack to cool

Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
Goodness. I have been playing with applesause instead of oil for awhile now but never considered trying it in a cake other than something like this one...

This recipe I have use no butter but substituted applesauce and pineapple and both come out great. I just made one last night with applesauce.. This comes out like a really moist brownie and I add walnuts and chocolate chips to it. This is my lo fat to no fat chocolate fix.

Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
A delicious and moist treat.
55 min | 15 min prep
SERVES 12
1/2 cup rolled oat
1/2 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cocoa
Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
Mix oats, boiling water, and butter.
Let cool.
Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Add cooled oat mixture to sugar/egg mixture.
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Add to the wet mixture and mix well.
Spread into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:28 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Goodness. I have been playing with applesause instead of oil for awhile now but never considered trying it in a cake other than something like this one...

This recipe I have use no butter but substituted applesauce and pineapple and both come out great. I just made one last night with applesauce.. This comes out like a really moist brownie and I add walnuts and chocolate chips to it. This is my lo fat to no fat chocolate fix.

Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
A delicious and moist treat.
55 min | 15 min prep
SERVES 12
1/2 cup rolled oat
1/2 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cocoa
Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
Mix oats, boiling water, and butter.
Let cool.
Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Add cooled oat mixture to sugar/egg mixture.
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Add to the wet mixture and mix well.
Spread into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Yum, I will have to try this recipe. It sounds perfect for those occasional (ok, everyday) cravings!

Thanks for posting it.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

359 posts, read 1,144,340 times
Thanks for bringing back this thread. I totally forgot about it..

Candalara and Laura707, those both sound amazing..looks like I am baking tomorrow..lol... Now only to decide which one to choose....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes