Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times

Advertisements

Roasted Potatoes

8 potatoes (Yukon Gold are the best) cut in 1-inch chunks

In 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, mix in 2 tbls. minced garlic, and 1 tsp. each of basil, dill, oregano, parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir it all up.

Put the potato chunks in a big Ziploc baggie.
Pour the olive oil/spice mixture.
Shake the baggie like crazy so that the oil/spice mix gets on all the potato pieces.
Put in the fridge for an hour or so so that all the spices get “into” the potato.

Heat a pan (I use a pizza pan) in the oven until it’s preheated to 400 degrees.

Remove the pan and pour the contents of the baggie onto the pan. The sizzle of the hot pan on the cold potato mixture is what makes this work; I don’t know why. The potatoes won’t even stick to the pan – it’s a miracle!

Cook for about 40 minutes, moving the potatoes around on the pan once in a while, at 400 degrees. You may need to cook them a bit longer – depends on how big the potato pieces are and how crispy you like ‘em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Also have you tried olive oil, garlic and Dijon mustard? To die for.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Also have you tried olive oil, garlic and Dijon mustard? To die for.
Nooooo... but I will next time! Thanks!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times
These also sound yummy -- thanks for the great recipes today!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
These also sound yummy -- thanks for the great recipes today!
You're most welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing if you like the omelet.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I like your mix of herbs. Usually I just use minced garlic, parsley and salt w/olive oil. Occasionally I also add a tiny bit of fresh rosemary in the summer. I think tonight I'm going to try your recipe right this minute. I was going to roast red potatoes tonight, but I also bought yukon gold today. Thanks!

Oohhh, I just saw the other recipe with dijon mustard. That will be another to try soon, good thing we eat lots of potatoes.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I like your mix of herbs. Usually I just use minced garlic, parsley and salt w/olive oil. Occasionally I also add a tiny bit of fresh rosemary in the summer. I think tonight I'm going to try your recipe right this minute. I was going to roast red potatoes tonight, but I also bought yukon gold today. Thanks!

Oohhh, I just saw the other recipe with dijon mustard. That will be another to try soon, good thing we eat lots of potatoes.
Oh good! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! If you use fewer potatoes, make sure that you use less red pepper flakes, otherwise it will be VERY spicy! As in TOO spicy.

ENJOY!

PS. I'm also looking forward to trying the dijon ones. I don't often buy potatoes, even though I LOVE POTATOES!!!!, but the next time I do, it will definitely be the dijon ones.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
The olive oil and herb potatoes were delicious! I didn't use all the oil and herbs mixture (trying to limit calorie intake) and they still turned out perfectly.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The olive oil and herb potatoes were delicious! I didn't use all the oil and herbs mixture (trying to limit calorie intake) and they still turned out perfectly.
GREAT!!!

Yeah, I agree, it can be a bit too much olive oil unless you use really big potatoes. Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly feisty, I let the potatoes get more crispy -- the logic being that the oil is being burned off. I can make my brain think LOTS of things when it comes to potatoes.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,579 times
My new favorite roasted potato recipe is actually a stove top recipe. (I could eat potatoes for every meal :0) They're just so versatile!)

Yukon Gold Potatoes: Jacques Pepin Style

Ingredients:

3 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Place the potatoes in a deep skillet and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover potatoes halfway with chicken stock, about 3 cups, add the butter and cover skillet with a lid. Cook the potatoes in the stock until almost tender, about 5 to 8 minutes, depending upon the size of the potatoes. Remove the lid and allow the stock to evaporate, about another 5 minutes. Once the stock has evaporated pop each potato using a ladle or large spoon, creating a small crack in each, but do not smash. Allow the potatoes to brown on each side, another 5 minutes, and re-season with salt and pepper, if necessary or desired. Remove the browned potatoes from the skillet and place onto a serving platter, garnished with the parsley.

Although I must admit I didn't measure anything, I just added until it looked right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes