Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times

Advertisements

I bought some Chorizo that I need to use up. I have never cooked Chorizo and I grew up in Los Angeles eating Mexican food. How do you use Chorizo?
Is it good with Migas? I love Migas...my favorite breakfast, but I make it without meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
It would be delicious with migas. It's just a spicy sausage and can be used anywhere you would use regular sausage. You may never go back again!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
I don't know what Migas is......so can't help you there.

I used to cook it this way: break it apart in a skillet, kinda chunk it up.....brown it a bit...(just like if you are chunking and browning hamburger meat for tacos)...get some of the grease off....(or better yet, take it out of the skillet, clean the skillet, put a little oil into the skillet, put it back into the skillet, scramble some eggs/peppers/onions/cilantro, etc, with it and you either have scrambled eggs or have a filling for a flour tortilla....

Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Bummer! I let the chorizo sit too long and it is expired and smells kind of funky. I will have to buy some more this coming week.

Wurzig--Migas is almost exactly what you make with the peppers and onions...just add some fried corn tortilla strips and cheese. Yum!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Bummer! I let the chorizo sit too long and it is expired and smells kind of funky. I will have to buy some more this coming week.

Wurzig--Migas is almost exactly what you make with the peppers and onions...just add some fried corn tortilla strips and cheese. Yum!
Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
I like chorizo best cooked with eggs for breakfast tacos. It's also good to add to cheese for nachos or dipping.

Another tasty way to use it is to cook in a skillet with some thin strips of beef or pork, and then use as a taco filling or just eat as is. It add so much flavor to the meat!

No matter how you use it, you should take it out of the casing and crumble, it doesn't really slice.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Coming from Kearny, AZ, we ate chorizo burritos and sold them as fundraisers. We browned the chorizo, added eggs and already cooked diced potatoes. We rolled this in tortillas. So, you need chorizo, already cooked/boiled diced potato (think like getting ready for mashed potato but dont mash them), and eggs, salt/pepper and tortilla.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Is it ground chorizo or whole link chorizo? If it is ground, look at my recipe for breakfast enchiladas on the recipe page!

If it's whole, try slicing it up with chicken, shrimp, yellow rice, bell peppers, onions, yellow rice, diced tomato, olive oil, paprika, and cayenne pepper seasoning for a paella-like dish! You can also add peas, corn, white wine, chicken broth, rosemary, thyme, sage, cumin, etc. if you like!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 AM

12 posts, read 24,407 times
Default Chorizo

Homemade Chorizo
Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
Preparation:
Mash garlic with salt; add remaining ingredients. Mix together and fry until brown. Use in any recipe in place of chorizo.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyparker View Post
Homemade Chorizo
Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
Preparation:
Mash garlic with salt; add remaining ingredients. Mix together and fry until brown. Use in any recipe in place of chorizo.
I am going to try this. Looks to be very tasty and less greasy! Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes