Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times

Advertisements

Does it make sense to use dating gurus?

Dating doesn't have to be complex, does it?

It simply boils down to:

- Be yourself
- Know what you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
We women on the C-D Relationship forum are all the dating guru you menfolk will ever need.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM

37 posts, read 178,725 times
You are right of course. The best dating gurus will teach you how to be yourself and know what you want along with some social skills. The "how" is important.

Being yourself when under the stress of trying to meet someone, walking up and introducing yourself, taking aperson on a date etc... is actually most tricky.

Oh look... I'm being myself.

The better dating gurus, rather than giving you a bunch of tricks will actually get into this for you and help you out. If he is a good one then I truly do advise it. I don't know if I am allowed to name names in this forum but if you wanna know who I recommend then pm me.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,988,406 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "gurus". However, I find people seldom have an objective view of themselves. To that end, a few tips and pointers from a the gurus of dating might be helpful.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "gurus". However, I find people seldom have an objective view of themselves. To that end, a few tips and pointers from a the gurus of dating might be helpful.
I mean dating experts/coaches, which one sees online from time to time.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
I am not sure if they know 100% what will work since every head is a different world. Anybody can read some of their tips and be "Oh, I've done that..." and an other ocassions be like "Huh? That would totally be a turn off for me

I read some dating gurus/coaches advise women to let the guy do it all for them because "that is what guys like". That doesn't work for me. I like equality in relationships, which is almost non-existant, and I am yet to see a dating guru/coach say something about it. So, some things might be ok but most of them are things we all learn throughout the years I guess.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
If you don't listen to the advice people give you when you ask for it, don't bother.

And sometimes being yourself really doesn't cut it.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
And sometimes being yourself really doesn't cut it.
If being rude is someone "being themselves" then yeah, time to change some things there. But if being yourself means being silly, adventurous, flirty, whatever it is, I don't see something wrong with that. Being fake just to score, I am not sure about that.

Imagine dating a fake person that is pretending to be what they are not or being in a relationship where you are not comfortably being yourself.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times
Some guys make common mistakes and have some ways of thinking that will hurt them..
When they are seeking dates/relationships.
I have found a few of the "Gurus" to be pretty dead-on a few subjects.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If being rude is someone "being themselves" then yeah, time to change some things there. But if being yourself means being silly, adventurous, flirty, whatever it is, I don't see something wrong with that. Being fake just to score, I am not sure about that.

Imagine dating a fake person that is pretending to be what they are not or being in a relationship where you are not comfortably being yourself.
I am certainly not talking about someone faking their way through anything. One has to be open to change, because "being yourself" does not work for everyone. And if you're one of those people who is clearly and completely inept, seeks out advice only to resist it over and over, then continue to ask the same silly questions wondering what the solution is, it isn't going to work. There will be no one who can help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships