Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

408 posts, read 809,455 times

Advertisements

I think most of you should go back and read the articles I posted earlier, more women are choosing to remain childless today, because we aren't "expected" to reproduce and want to focus on our careers more than take care of another person for 18+ years. There are more important things to ME.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
First off, I'm 23 yrs. old so I am not married and do not have/nor wish to bear any children. One of my best friends has recently gotten married (a year ago to a guy she knew less than a year) and they have a 1 yr. old daughter together. She also recently called me out on "not liking her anymore because she has a kid" exact words! The truth is...I do not like children and have NO desire to be around them. How does one make this friendship work without saying, honestly I don't want to be around your child? Has anyone else gone through this? She is the only friend of mine who is married and has a child. I feel bad but at the same time, I'm the one who has to travel to see her because I'm childless which is unfair (I always say I should be rewarded for not having children, not punished. Samantha from Sex & the City ) Has anyone gave up on friendship because they felt they were in two completely different worlds?
1st thing that goes when you get single is your set of friends.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 PM

408 posts, read 809,455 times
Anyways, I'm off heading home from work now--so please continue to bash my personal life choice! Most of you kept me quite entertained for the day.

"I should be rewarded for NOT having children, not punished." Sex & the City

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
It's sad in some ways but it happens. A newlywed mother just has a different life than a single person.

Heck I'm 40 and my kids are basicly grown and it seems like more people closer to my age now are just having kids or have young kids. Still, I am out of the "how adorable is your child" kind of frame of mind and would like to hang out with people who aren't into the new mommy stuff. I'm just at a different point in my life now.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
You can choose any lifesyle you want, no one says you can't. Right now you are stuck in the "i'm 23 and most of my friends agree with me" phase. Guareentee, in just a short 5-10 years most of them probably will have kids. They may agree with you now, but disagree with you in the future.

As another poster put it, you only wanted to hear people that are on yourside. Go on, continue treating people the way you do, even your childless friends....one day, soon enough you just may be the one feeling left behind, that kind of karma comes around you know.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
The only ones who are offended are the ones who have children...so I'd rather not hear from them since they are obviously going to side with the mother.

I understand. You created this thread so that everyone could agree with you. I'm sure some people who don't have kids would not agree with you either.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Yep, I think so. I think this thread is over anyways, people judge me because I don't like kids. Think I'm mentally challenged because I don't like kids which is absolutely ridiculous. I have plenty of childless friends who definitely have more lifestyle choices similar to mine.
What's ridiculous is reframing our responses to make yourself look like you're a victim. No one is judging you for not wanting to have kids so I don't know why you keep coming back to that. We're just judging the way you frame your so-called friendship only in terms of yourself.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM

83 posts, read 445,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Remaining childless is a choice, and in your case a VERY wise one.
Saying you dislike children per se, is evidence of mental illness and/or depravity.

Hahaha...wow....I needed a laugh. So I guess Octomom, who pops out as many babies as she can, is mentally stable? She must LOVE children since she has so many! She's definately not a nutjob!

BTW- I'm in my late 20s, no children, and I understand what the OP's line of thinking is. The harsh reality is that once you have a child, it's a major life change and some things get put on the back burner (ie. friendships). A child is really cute as long as it's YOUR child. You're much more tolerant of their behavior than those without children. Most kids I know behave fine but to tell someone that they have a mental problem if they don't like children is ridiculous.

I mean, who doesn't love a random kid screaming, running around in the grocery store, kicking your seat on an airplane, throwing a temper tantrum at an amusement park, or staring at you when you're minding your own business? Yea, what's not to love? I side with the OP.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:29 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
^^I wouldn't call people who don't want children mentally ill....that's ridiculous. I think they are selfish. Child free people will admit that the reason they don't have kids is because they want to do what they want to do when they want to do it. They don't want the responsibility of taking care of children. Its actually great that these people don't want children. Can you imagine how the child would be treated in this type of situation. At least they realize they are not fit to be parents.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM

507 posts, read 878,901 times
Quote:
Am I suppose to want to have babies because I am a woman and that is my duty? I think not sir. There are many more reasons to remain childless.
And yours, complete and total self-centeredness is the best one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships