Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM

530 posts, read 902,056 times

Advertisements

Where are the happily married people? Tell me your story. How did you meet? Tell me the stuff that will make us want to throw up. Just kidding. I just want to hear some happy marriage stories. I know there have to be some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
Well, okay, but don't puke on me!

We had both been in unhappy to awful first marriages previously. We met online when she contacted me based on my profile (she didn't even have one at first). We'd both given a lot of thought to what we wanted in a relationship, and even more thought to what had gone wrong or been wrong in our prior relationships, so we were well prepared for another try at relationships.

Our first meeting started off a bit slowly and awkwardly, but as the hours passed we became more and more taken with each other. This continued to grow in the coming months as we found ourselves to be even more compatible in even more ways than we suspected (attitudes, personality, beliefs, goals, interests, etc.), and the physical attraction that was there from the very start grew much stronger as well.

We had to overcome a 100 mile separation, so it took nearly a year for me to move and we moved in together. Despite many external trials and issues, we've been completely enamored of each other for over 10 years now, and got married about 3 years ago.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Well, okay, but don't puke on me!

We had both been in unhappy to awful first marriages previously. We met online when she contacted me based on my profile (she didn't even have one at first). We'd both given a lot of thought to what we wanted in a relationship, and even more thought to what had gone wrong or been wrong in our prior relationships, so we were well prepared for another try at relationships.

Our first meeting started off a bit slowly and awkwardly, but as the hours passed we became more and more taken with each other. This continued to grow in the coming months as we found ourselves to be even more compatible in even more ways than we suspected (attitudes, personality, beliefs, goals, interests, etc.), and the physical attraction that was there from the very start grew much stronger as well.

We had to overcome a 100 mile separation, so it took nearly a year for me to move and we moved in together. Despite many external trials and issues, we've been completely enamored of each other for over 10 years now, and got married about 3 years ago.
My story is so similar it's kinda scary (in a good way) except we met about 5 years ago and have been married for about 2 now. All the rest - met online, previous unhappy marriages, long distance commuting for a period of time (for us it was 2 years), and a lot of soul searching on each of our parts (separately) to realise what went wrong with the first marriage and a firm recognition of what we each desired for a second and happy long term relationship - same story.

When I met him I knew he was my soulmate. There's the mushy make you throw up part. LOL. But it's true. I felt it right away (but said nothing) but let time prove me right. And it did. We are deliriously happy and feel truly blessed to have met. More than that, we do not take each other - or our happiness - for granted - ever. Maybe having such bad marriages the first go round makes one more appreciative when someone truly compatible and spectacular comes along the second time?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Oh how I love to answer this kind of Thread, why.........because we ARE HAPPILY MARRIED!!
Ok, here we go: I met my wife thru a Personal Ad that I placed in a local magazine in early 2000. I had done this before with basically zero results or at least no results that I want to remember! Anyway, I put in the ad my true age (51), height, weight, interests and that I had no tattoos or body piercings. Since I was involved in pro-rodeo/roping at the time, that was my main interest and I stated that. I also stated that I was "farm raised". I could 2-step quite well and stated that also. No "party animal here", but did enjoy a couple of beers at times. So, this lady (52), now my wife, answered the ad thru a telephone message I picked up. I called her and we talked and talked, but I was somewhat nervous cause the conversation was going so good. We were going to make a plan on meeting, but that didn't work out to good (I didn't call her back for arrangments). Following week, I called and apolgized and she accepted......THANK GOD!! We ended up meeting at a Denny's. The only word I could describe the meeting is "WOW"!! I had rodeo attire on (boots, Wrangler jeans, hat) and she had on a cowboy hat, Roper jeans and boots. To say the least, I WAS......IN LOVE at first sight!! After that meeting came rodeo's, dancing, trips to the National Finals Rodeo in Vegas and some squaredancing. Squaredancing wasn't in my ad, but we both did it and she was amazed that I did it. We lived together for one year and was married (to the day) one year later. Had a Cowboy Wedding!
And, she loves my cooking and my humor! We boat, fish, target shoot and watch NFL. One major thing we had in common, we were BOTH "marriage minded" when we met!
That is how this cowboy and cowgirl met!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM

530 posts, read 902,056 times
Thank you all for your responses! I love stories like that. After all the hell I been through, I just believe there is still love out there & I wish more people would talk about it and share. I'll go puke now LOL!

PS - You all keep right on loving each other! That is so encouraging!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times
Well we have no plans of getting married BUT do live otherwise as a married couple and ARE happy so this is how we met. I had a large house I was renting, my old roommate moved out (she took a new job out of town) and I ran an ad looking for a new roomie. A few people answered (some were scary lol) and then I took the ad down.
About a week later, I got a call from this guy saying he had printed off the ad, then left for vacation but needed a room as his roommate situation was changing (house being sold) and asked if he could come see the place.

When he drove up I was like "hmm cute, okay" more importantly though he seemed like a good spirit, had a good job, etc.. so I agreed to let him move in. He had a girlfriend of a few years, I had been dating someone for a couple of years and because he was also new in town, we hung out a bit now and then just to show him around.
After awhile we started talking, he made a comment about how my b/f was kind of a douchebag (to which I agreed, lol) and then somewhere not long after that we began getting closer and closer. We finally had "the talk" about what we were going to do about the others (up until this point, nothing had happened between us, no kissing, or anything). I said I was and had been planning on breaking it off with my then b/f., he said that he needed to do the same so he did. Next thing you know we were packing up and taking a road trip down south to get his stuff out of storage and that was over five years ago, we've been happy ever since.
We have a very easy-going relationship. He's just a great guy, came from a great family - I adore his Mom, we get along great. Where I have faults, he makes up for and vice versa... we make a pretty good team.
Love hearing everyones stories!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times
I was at work and the day was crazy busy with no time to eat. In a brief lull, I went down to have a quick lunch of pizza that someone had ordered because no one could go out that day... A guy from another facility came in at that point to talk to me about setting up safety program and we discussed it briefly. Being on a short leash, I took his info that he had with him and said that as soon as I could get a meeting together, I'd call him back with the name of a safety officer/representative.

A week or so later I got a call from him at home (my number was available internally through our organization) and as soon as he said who he was I apologized for not getting to the task but our busy season precluded all but vacations and work. He said that wasn't why he called, he wanted to know if I'd have dinner with him. I was surprised to say the least. I recalled the conversation of course but I didn't think I could pick him up out of a line up as the day was a blur...but what the heck. Not like I was swimming in boyfriends at the time, and I was pretty sure we at least had aviation in common so I said yes.

We had dinner and it was nice but no giant fireworks. We had quite a lot in common, similar backgrounds and similar outlooks on and goals for life. I called him later in the week to take hike with me and my dog (who acted like a complete nincompoop, jealously guarding me, wedging between us, jumping upon both of us and then diving over to eat grass only to throw it up down trail) and I saw that he had sterling qualities like a sense of humor and patience with my wayward pet. This allowed me interest in him enough to let him in closer.

We've been married 18 years and are best friends, sidekicks and good partners. Hope you find what you are looking for. By the time he arrived in my life I pretty much had given up on meeting the right man for me and I planned on being single for life. I bought my house, had my friends and routine, then bam, love showed up. My mother always said it was the time when you least expect it is when you are truly ready for it to happen.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
I was at a college bar back in 1976 for .25 cent beer night. Typical of a college bar, it was crowded and my roommate & I had a small table. There was this girl who's nicely shaped rear kept getting pushed (by the crowd - she says) into my ear as I was sitting and she was standing.

We were young but married shortly after. I finished college the next year and our 1st was born a month or so before graduation. We have 2 sons, one on each coast and a new beautiful granddaughter.

I was late for an appointment across town this morning because we were awake very late last night enjoying each other and again this morning. After all these years I still think she's the hottest and sexiest woman I could ever have.

How's that for a nice long term, successful marriage story ? Don't get me wrong, it's not always been easy but luckily we've made it this far.

BTW, I've always said that was the most expensive .25 cent beer I ever bought.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,609 times
He was my TA freshman year in college

Okay, it's not so bad. The business school hired undergrads to be test proctors and grade exams and hold office hours. I never needed help in that class, so while I saw him every exam day I never said anything to him.

Fast forward to the next semester, that fall. The first day of class, I'm looking around for someone I recognize, and I see him. I grab the seat next to him, and commented that he looked familiar. We finally figured out he was the TA last semester. Later in class, the professor had assigned a trivial little homework assignment. I forgot to do it. I NEVER forgot homework (I was a total goodie two-shoes). I'm panicking, and the he offers to let me copy his.

We became study buddies for that class that semester, found out we were the exact same double major (which is weird, because only 6 or 7 people were!) and got married after graduation

He still teases me about it. He'll ask for a glass of water or something, I'll hem and haw, and he'll say, "But I let you copy my homework! You owe me!"

Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Default We met and married in college too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How's that for a nice long term, successful marriage story ? Don't get me wrong, it's not always been easy but luckily we've made it this far.
That wasn't at Texas Tech, by any chance, was it?! Met my husband on a blind date in college in 1975. He was a friend of my roommate's boyfriend, and they set us up on a "blind date." The blind dating thing was common back then, but we had had enough of them that didn't go well. So we both said "no" initially but eventually acquiesed. Well, to make a long story short, as Rakin said it hasn't always been easy. We have had rough years, both young, stubborn, and immature when we married. (still in college) We've raised and buried a child together and weathered some storms. But we're still married 35 years later and still in love. At least I am, and I think he is too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships