Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times

Advertisements

When I hear about marriages it's always doom and gloom. Quite frankly I'm a bit hesitant to get married one day. This is not because I'm a commitment-phobe like many men my age, but because so many marriages fail and so many more are miserable. I've seen very few couples that are still happily married after a few years. It troubles me that so many with good intentions pick the wrong person or how many people blatantly take advantage of their spouse (cheating). There's got to be more good marriages out there than I've seen, because I've seen next to none.

So how about you? Are you happily married? How long has your marriage lasted? Do you think you can "go the distance" so to speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Yes we are.

Long distance romance, I was in Australia, he was in America. Both of us moved countries for one another. He is younger than I am. The odds were stacked against us in many respects but we felt this instant connection that we really wanted to explore. We're one another's best friend and lover. Six years later we are still in love, still do everything together, still fall asleep next to each other and still very, very happy.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
I can understand your concern. With so many marriages failing, and so many more that just aren't happy, it's a risky proposition. My first marriage lasted well over 20 years, and it wasn't happy from early on. From some perspectives it was a success, just not in personal happiness and fulfillment. In terms of raising a child, and in financial aspects, it was fine. Still, it was a tremendous relief to end that one. After awhile, though, I decided to give marriage another go with someone truly compatible, and this time I'm confident I got it right - which mainly comes down to finding someone who really is compatible in all important ways. We've been together over 11 years, and fully expect to be part of the that 5% minority (out of all marriages) that is truly happy together after 20 years.

Even many bad marriages start out happy for many years, so that may be enough for the time it lasts. And of course many people don't marry and have the same relationship experiences in terms of happiness or horror that married people do. I wouldn't avoid commited relationships, but I'd suggest being slow to marry and be sure of compatibility first.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Even many bad marriages start out happy for many years, so that may be enough for the time it lasts.
This seems to be the new prevailing attitude. I'm still going to do whatever I can to join the 5% happy club though. Dealing with the stress and unhappiness of an unhappy marriage (best case scenario) isn't exactly in the plan. Dealing with the pain and emotional turmoil of a hateful marriage isn't part of the plan either. I'm sure for most people it is not, but I'm going to do everything I can to keep my relationship with my one-day wife as strong as it can be.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I'm happily married, always have been, for decades. Every marriage has its ups and downs, however, it's never a panacea.

The problem is that so many people marry for the wrong reasons and marry the wrong person. Marry your best friend and you shouldn't have many problems. It's not rocket science. A lot of people marry because they have great sex (and I'm not knocking that). But if you're having mindblowing sex with someone who can't talk to afterwards, believe me, it will not last.

The most important component of a happy marriage? A shared sense of humor. The ability to laugh together is a HUGE deal in a marriage. Having things in common, loving to spend time talking and listening to them. If you can't do that while dating your S.O., then they're not the person to marry.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:43 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I have seen and had the same fears in the past, but am engaged now. For this time and moment, I know my fiance is the right person for me!

I just decided I would hate to miss out on what could be a wonderful marriage to someone I do love very much, because there is a chance it could end in divorce. The statistics say there is a 50/50 chance, but I know far more happily married couples than divorced individuals. I want to follow their example.

(Of course, my fiance is divorced. Her first husband is from another country, and used her to sponser him and marry him so he could stay in the US... almost immediately he started cheating on her. It is an extreme set of circumstances).

Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
20 years this past April. I'm even happier in year 20 than I was in year 1.

She is my reason for living, the wind beneath my wings, the butter to my bread, my breath, my soul, my salvation, my hope. She is all things, my better half, my inspiration, and then some. She is the first thing I want to hear in the morning and the last thing I want to hear at night. My sole regret in life is that I didn't meet her sooner and my one hope in life is that I never have to live a minute without her. She has been patient with my worst and helped me be my best. She is wise and kind and creates beauty, love, and grace wherever she goes. I never fail to be astonished that she chose me and I live my days with gratitude that she did.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
20 years this past April. I'm even happier in year 20 than I was in year 1.

She is my reason for living, the wind beneath my wings, the butter to my bread, my breath, my soul, my salvation, my hope. She is all things, my better half, my inspiration, and then some. She is the first thing I want to hear in the morning and the last thing I want to hear at night. My sole regret in life is that I didn't meet her sooner and my one hope in life is that I never have to live a minute without her. She has put up with my worst and helped me be my best. She is wise and kind and creates beauty and love wherever she goes.
I have never been married, but I had to rep this OP for such a great written tribute to his wife.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have never been married, but I had to rep this OP for such a great written tribute to his wife.
Haha same here. Hopefully I feel the same about my wife one day.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I am happily married but just don't let my wife know, she probably try to wreck it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships