Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

I've been married for 6 years and have been with my husband for a little over 9 years total. I was engaged to someone else and thought I had found the right one until I met my husband. When I found my husband - I felt like I finally found myself. I didn't realize that there were things about me that I still felt really insecure about until I met my husband and he loved everything about me. It gave me the courage to accept myself for who I was completely - and I've never been happier.

Like the other poster said - marry your best friend. Marry someone who you can laugh with. Also, marry someone who you can trust with anything. Marry someone who you have no secrets from and who has no secrets from you. Don't marry just to get married or because you feel like it's about time. Take your time. Find the right person. If you have the right person - marriage is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Wow I am surprised that Dewdrop93 wasn't first to respond.......

No, I am happily unmarried. It puts a big smile on my face knowing that nobody can take my truck, boat, condo, pride, and bank account away from me just because they don't feel they are living some happy fairytale.
Really? You really felt that was necessary? You're too much!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I was happily married for 24 years then unhappily married for 4 more. We raised two kids to adulthood during that time and there was no cheating and we had a good life. Despite the position I'm in now (divorced at 53) I consider it a win.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Really? You really felt that was necessary? You're too much!
What? I thought you loved marriage, this post is your hot topic!! If I saw a thread about a free ride to Europe where I can meet a down to earth, intelligent, beautiful, self respecting women I would be all over it.

I too believe marriage can be a great thing with the right class of person!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Wow I am surprised that Dewdrop93 wasn't first to respond.......

No, I am happily unmarried. It puts a big smile on my face knowing that nobody can take my truck, boat, condo, pride, and bank account away from me just because they don't feel they are living some happy fairytale.

All those material possessions aren't going to mean squat to you in the long run.

One day you'll be old and alone with no one to care about your well-being. And believe me, it's really tough to get old alone

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
A simple thread asking if people are happily married and what do we find...the negative Nancys...how typical...and gee look, they're all men

hmmm....I wouldn't actually call them "men".

Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All those material possessions aren't going to mean squat to you in the long run.

One day you'll be old and alone with no one to care about your well-being. And believe me, it's really tough to get old alone

I will marry one day, in the meantime I have dogs. That sounded bad, in no way am I implying that women are like dogs. I am just saying that I have two things in my life that I love very much and they love me, unconditionally. I have a great family as well.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
I have been happily married for eight years. Great marriages take work (it's not always hard work, but you can't coast either). Other than a mutual desire to love each other and support our marriage, our mutual faith in God and general compatibility has made it a joy.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
What? I thought you loved marriage, this post is your hot topic!! If I saw a thread about a free ride to Europe where I can meet a down to earth, intelligent, beautiful, self respecting women I would be all over it.

I too believe marriage can be a great thing with the right class of person!
I love my marriage. This has nothing to do with loving the institution of marriage. Why does it bother you so much that I have a wonderful marriage? I find that very strange. Oh well.

And there are down to earth, intelligent, beautiful, self respecting everywhere. But you have to be deserving of them. That's the thing.

To me - marriage is a piece of paper. It's the relationship that is important. I have friends that are gay that can't get married - but their relationships are just as amazing and beautiful as mine is. It's about finding the right person. When my husband and I got married, we were already living together, had a joint bank account, and already had a strong foundation of laughter, love, and trust. After the wedding, the only thing that changed was my last name and a piece of paper saying that we were married.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I've seen it in others. There's one guy I used to work with at the newspaper eons ago. Charlie was militantly anti-marriage. His favorite line was, "Why buy when I can rent?"

I left the paper early in my career (I realized it was a dead end), but kept track with the other reporters, Charlie included.

A few months after he retired, the newspaper folded, and all his colleagues scattered to the four winds. I was about the only guy in town he knew and he only had one sister and a couple of nieces out west. So once every few weeks, we'd have lunch. I always invited him to Thanksgiving, but he always declined, not wanting to be an imposition.

Charlie died in his apartment at the retirement community a couple of years ago. Nobody knew he was dead for two days until housekeeping came around. At his funeral, a total of six people were there, including the delegate from the retirement community. His sister and I carted a few boxfuls of his things out of the apartment, gave his furniture to charity, and tossed the rest.

Not the way I want to live the rest of my days, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships