Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times

Advertisements

Lately I am feeling like a robot. Every day the same old thing. Wake up. Work. Go to bed. Repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat...

Does anyone else ever get this feeling - like years are passing like seconds and nothing ever changes? How do you battle the comfortable numbness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Simple - do something different!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Time for something a little different vanilla. Plan a trip to another city or go be a tourist in your own. I'll bet there are some weird things you've never seen in your city if you dig around for some info. I know this sounds trite but it does help. Or, listen to your inner voice--maybe you're ignoring a "call." I firmly believe that's the biggest reason why people get depressed.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:16 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Lately I am feeling like a robot. Every day the same old thing. Wake up. Work. Go to bed. Repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat...

Does anyone else ever get this feeling - like years are passing like seconds and nothing ever changes? How do you battle the comfortable numbness?
Do you have any hobbies?

Are you married? If so, plan a night out with friends at least once a month if possible. Nothing can help you feel better than a night out with friends laughing and having a good time. If your single, do the same just way more often.

Plan a trip for the weekend to somewhere you've been wanting to go, doesn't need to be anything expensive.

Take a class, a foreign language, something.

Just suggestions of what we have done

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,642 times
Quote:

I either find something different to do or come on CD to harrass everyone.Lol J/K regarding the harrassment part.Big Grinn.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Quote:

Don't take it for granted, life has a way of throwing curve balls when you least expect them. Take advantage of this period of relative calm and capitalize on it. Learn something new, broaden your world, volunteer. If your life is anything like mine, the doldrums never last long. You might be longing for their return sooner than you think!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Thanks for your responses, everyone. There are some great ideas there.

I didn't want to mention him to avoid the influx of faces, but I suppose it doesn't help when I have a boyfriend who won't even go to dinner around the corner from our house with me because he "doesn't want to have to go out again". ANYWAY, 'nother story!

Guess I'll have to somehow make my own adventures!!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Go away for a weekend. Or take work vacation early and spend two weeks or so overseas.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
If you're so inclined, do what I do:

Take a vacation and do something fun. For me it's usually something adrenaline related. I'll go to the mainland and go white water rafting, bungee jump, or to the big amusment parks, if it's here I'll try something different like a shark dive.

A trip to a foreign country works too, perhaps Mexico?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:

"Do something everyday to scare yourself".

I don't actually get to do this every day, but I am a fan of the concept.

Talk to strangers. Jump out of a plane. Clean out the fridge . You get the idea.

Sometimes a simple change in your routine can help as well. If you are stuck in a rut, just do something, anything, differently. Try a new restaurant. Go to a movie or play that you would normally "pass" on. Bonus points if you go alone.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships