Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM

47 posts, read 66,556 times

Advertisements

So I’ve known this girl for around a year (we went to high school together but never talked) and I think I’m falling for her. I want to ask her out but the whole “I hope I don’t create awkwardness if she says no or has a bf” thing keeps popping into my head. I figure either way she would be flattered and no risk, no reward right? I have a couple classes with her at the university. I’m thinking about saying something along these lines after one of our classes this week, “____, I’ve been wanting to say this for a little while. You’re really easy to get along with and you’re very pretty. Would you like to go to ____ this weekend?” Then cross my fingers and pray. How do you think something like that would turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
So I’ve known this girl for around a year (we went to high school together but never talked) and I think I’m falling for her. I want to ask her out but the whole “I hope I don’t create awkwardness if she says no or has a bf” thing keeps popping into my head. I figure either way she would be flattered and no risk, no reward right? I have a couple classes with her at the university. I’m thinking about saying something along these lines after one of our classes this week, “____, I’ve been wanting to say this for a little while. You’re really easy to get along with and you’re very pretty. Would you like to go to ____ this weekend?” Then cross my fingers and pray. How do you think something like that would turn out?
Do it. if you don't, The question of "What if" will weigh on you. Your statement above of what you plan to say is polite and well said, And most women will be flattered by an attempt to get to know them in gentlemanly manner.

And no Booze before doing this to "loosen up". trust me! Just you.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Don't pray. Just say it this way: "Hey, I know we're really good friends and all that, but I'm really interested in trying things in a different way with you."

Even better, invite her over to watch movies, have a few drinks and just make your move when the moment's right.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
I would skip the lead-up and go straight to "would you like to go out this weekend?" The more build-up you give, the more likely you are to trip over your words.

Also, it's a good idea to do this now, because pining away for them, over a long period of time may create hurt for yourself. Having feelings for someone, who doesn't know you do, builds them up too much in your mind. If they don't want to go out with you, you take it too hard, when really nothing happened, other than they weren't interested, but it becomes a huge rejection because you'd had them on a pedestal for too long.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
I'd just tell her you enjoy her company, and would she go out with you to____this weekend....save the compliments on her beauty for later...if you include it like you did above, it makes it seem that if she wasn't "very pretty" you wouldn't have asked....just a thought.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 PM

864 posts, read 1,455,193 times
ITA with the previous poster who said to ditch the compliments on her appearance. When a guy starts off any conversation with me about my appearance, I automatically become less interested.

I'm confused though...you consider her a "friend" (according to your subject title), but you've never talked to her? Do you smile or say "hi" or anything like that in the classes you have together with her in college?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM

47 posts, read 66,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I'm confused though...you consider her a "friend" (according to your subject title), but you've never talked to her? Do you smile or say "hi" or anything like that in the classes you have together with her in college?
We went to high school together but didn't know each other. I had a class with her last year and we were friendly with each other but I never had any feelings towards her because I was talking to someone else at the time. We have two classes together this year. We're friends and try to sit by each other but if she doesn't get to class in time I try to leave at the same time she does so I can talk to her a little after class. We're both juniors in college.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
If your friend is at all savvy about how men are, she won't be the least bit surprised when you express an interest in her. The fact is, men--especially younger men--rarely bother befriending women unless they have a romantic and/or sexual motive. She should know pretty much all of her male friends probably have the hots for her. But so what? Those same male friends see women they find attractive walking down the street every day. They don't go chasing after them. If your friend rejects you, accept that and leave it alone. If you don't continue to badger her after getting a "no," it shouldn't hurt your friendship.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Go for it! You have to be willing to take chances when your single. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Ask her out. You won't be satisfied if you don't. There is no satisfaction with hiding your interest in her just to try and maintain a platonic friendship with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships