Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't dislike dogs per se; I just don't want them in my house and barking in the vicinity of my house. And yes, they are dirty, just like any other animal. If YOU feel you're filthier than your dog, that's your business, not mine.
I won't move to Tucson and we'll be good.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm out of the loop, so forgive me for asking...is this a religious belief or were you bitten/attacked as a child or ??? , Not trying to be mean. Just wanting to understand.
Nothing of the kind. I just like a clean and peaceful house, and I'm also not convinced animals don't spread diseases. Having a dead bird or whatever garbage it is in your mouth one minute and kissing your loving owner the next minute can't be all hunky-dory even if that owner is not squeamish and they normally are not. Also, I know for a fact cats are dangerous for pregnant women. That's all.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
~Mahatma Gandhi

I like people who treat animals with kindness and respect. I do not like, nor trust, those who do not.

How hard is that?

Edited to add: respecting them does not mean that we try to make them "human". That, in my mind, is the ultimate in hubris.
That's one of my favorite quotes.

I agree about not making them human. They are dogs and that is what I love about them. I've met a lot of sh*tty people. I've never met a truly bad dog.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I won't move to Tucson and we'll be good.
That's becoming a theme lately. Some moron, coincidentally from NE, was threatening me to do the same yesterday after I told her we're not about to write short novels on general issues every time some lazy bum drops a one-liner without reading the forum at all.

It's fine - as long as you live at least a good mile away! I think this rule is good for BF/GFs, spouses, and all relations in general!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That's becoming a theme lately. Some moron, coincidentally from NE, was threatening me to do the same yesterday after I told her we're not about to write short novels on general issues every time some lazy bum drops a one-liner without reading the forum at all.

It's fine - as long as you live at least a good mile away! I think this rule is good for BF/GFs, spouses, and all relations in general!
LOL...I must have missed that.

You're safe. I don't do scorpions. It does sound appealing when I'm freezing my butt off in January, though. I decide I'm going to go work in our office down there, then tornado season rolls around and I'm good again.

I agree with you though. A minimum one mile buffer zone is not a bad policy!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
~Mahatma Gandhi

I like people who treat animals with kindness and respect. I do not like, nor trust, those who do not.

How hard is that?

Edited to add: respecting them does not mean that we try to make them "human". That, in my mind, is the ultimate in hubris.
Unless you're being deliberately obtuse, no one is suggesting ill treatment or even dislike of animals. Instead, the OP is exactly about those sorts of folks who treat them as "humans", and asking what (if anything) that says about their ability to have normal relationships with people.

Quote:
I'm out of the loop, so forgive me for asking...is this a religious belief or were you bitten/attacked as a child or ??? , Not trying to be mean. Just wanting to understand.
Why, what's wrong with objecting to the obvious downsides of pets, like the noise, filth, destructiveness, etc.? It's why not everyone chooses to have one. In fact your attitude reminds me alot of those owners who seem to feel "entitled" to allow their little "mini-me" to run loose, poop on their neighbor's lawn, bark at all hours, etc., etc.. As though anybody who objects, obviously "doesn't love animals"!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Unless you're being deliberately obtuse, no one is suggesting ill treatment or even dislike of animals. Instead, the OP is exactly about those sorts of folks who treat them as "humans", and asking what (if anything) that says about their ability to have normal relationships with people.

Why, what's wrong with objecting to the obvious downsides of pets, like the noise, filth, destructiveness, etc.? It's why not everyone chooses to have one. In fact your attitude reminds me alot of those owners who seem to feel "entitled" to allow their little "mini-me" to run loose, poop on their neighbor's lawn, bark at all hours, etc., etc.
Dude.

We've all already kissed and made up.

You missed the boat. May I sell you a video?

And no, sorry, you haven't pegged me at all. Not by a long shot.

Plus: I still don't think you ~get~ the quote in your original post. Wink wink, nod nod. That's the real reason you are dateless. Sorry.

Last edited by plaidmom; 09-01-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Nothing of the kind. I just like a clean and peaceful house, and I'm also not convinced animals don't spread diseases. Having a dead bird or whatever garbage it is in your mouth one minute and kissing your loving owner the next minute can't be all hunky-dory even if that owner is not squeamish and they normally are not. Also, I know for a fact cats are dangerous for pregnant women. That's all.
I can totally understand that! Thanks for the feedback.

They are a LOT of work.

I think you experiences might have been bad though. Kind of like visiting your brother in Cleveland and his kids are out of contol brats, so you think all kids are bad.

Good, responsible, pet owners keep their pets clean, and quiet and within reasonable control.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,221 times
Don't dogs carry a natural anti-septic in their saliva? If my science was correct, it is responsible for that "dog" breath. I can't remember if humans just don't have it, or brushing our teeth causes it to leave. Too much science for me...

Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Dude.

We've all already kissed and made up.

You missed the boat. May I sell you a video?

And no, sorry, you haven't pegged me at all. Not by a long shot.

Plus: I still don't think you ~get~ the quote in your original post. Wink wink, nod nod. That's the real reason you are dateless. Sorry.
Ah, nasty, AND quotes Ghandi..... interesting combination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships