Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Let's turn this around. Do you never have conditions or expectations??? Are you always happy?

Probably not. Because, you and your dog are biologically and genetically different. Please
No, I am not the same as my dog. How ridiculous that statement is! That does not, however, keep me from choosing to have a dog in my life because it loves me unconditionally. You choose not to have a dog; who cares? I sure don't.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
For me, it's not about cute. I am a vegetarian/pesci cusp, so any charged hypocrisy does't come into play. I won't deny that I love my dog more than most people, to state the obvious, since I work to pay for her food, daycare, and pet insurance. The only creatures I bust my hump for are family and a few friends. She falls into that camp.
By she of course you meant "it", right?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I think people are more apt to view a person who is in big love with their pet positively than someone who doesn't have a pet at all. It's not something I've thought much about when dating. Dogs particularly become a big part of people's lifestyle, needing a lot of time and attention, so it is something to be considered when dating seriously.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Why can't Braunwyn refer to her female dog as a "she"? Why would you prefer she refer to her dog as an "it"?

Basically, those of us that have pets do have an emotional bond with them. Just as dating a single parent, you'd have to share their affections with their human chlidren. Or if ou dated a doctor you'd have to share their time and attention with their patients... so what? Most people with a full life, work plus family and close friends aren't able to give their total and undivided attention to their s/o or spouse.

My love for my pets is akin to the love that parent have for their children. And it's a different kind of love than one has for a romantic partner.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
A pet will treat you better than any human ever will. I'd draw the line, personally, at bestiality, but if that's what floats your boat, have at it. I'm not going to say it's wrong...just wrong for me.

Barring that, showing that you care about a pet is a good thing, as long as I'm still going to come first. On the other hand, if you have a pet and you basically completely ignore it, don't spend any time with it, don't worry about whether it has food or water, then I don't think you're a very good person.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why can't Braunwyn refer to her female dog as a "she"? Why would you prefer she refer to her dog as an "it"?

Basically, those of us that have pets do have an emotional bond with them. Just as dating a single parent, you'd have to share their affections with their human chlidren. Or if ou dated a doctor you'd have to share their time and attention with their patients... so what? Most people with a full life, work plus family and close friends aren't able to give their total and undivided attention to their s/o or spouse.

My love for my pets is akin to the love that parent have for their children. And it's a different kind of love than one has for a romantic partner.
"human children"...nice pleonasm...and kind of revealing.

Just dont' humanize animals. My worse enemy is worth more to me than an animal, even I grew to love it very much (and I have pets that I loved a lot). So I would really not put on the same ground having a bond with the kid of a single parent with owning a pet.

This is what I and others are saying. When you liken your relationship with animals with your relionathips with people...it should indicate that there is a problem.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:

Just dont' humanize animals. My worse enemy is worth more to me than an animal, even I grew to love it very much (and I have pets that I loved a lot). So I would really not put on the same ground having a bond with the kid of a single parent with owning a pet.

This is what I and others are saying. When you liken your relationship with animals with your relionathips with people...it should indicate that there is a problem.
A slug is worth more to me than my worst enemy. There is no way I would put this person above my pets, and whatever that says about me, I really don't care.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's the dumbing down of our nation's educational system. Basic biology is substituted for video games and the boob tube.

I have little doubt that my min pin burns brighter in the smarts department than many folk I come across on line.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:

Just dont' humanize animals.
Why not invest in a dictionary?

Quote:
My worse enemy is worth more to me than an animal, even I grew to love it very much (and I have pets that I loved a lot). So I would really not put on the same ground having a bond with the kid of a single parent with owning a pet.

My left sock collection is worth more to me than you if you're (general you) competing. So is my cable TV, internet connection, cell phone, etc, for that matter. That's where my money and subsequent energy goes. My dog brings me joy, where most people, outside a few dozen friends and family, don't. And I don't liken any one relationship with another; be it with human or non-human animal.

To add, George, you are now an it.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why not invest in a dictionary?

My left sock collection is worth more to me than you if you're (general you) competing. So is my cable TV, internet connection, cell phone, etc, for that matter. That's where my money and subsequent energy goes. My dog brings me joy, where most people, outside a few dozen friends and family, don't. And I don't liken any one relationship with another; be it with human or non-human animal.

To add, George, you are now an it.
I'm sorry you don't know what a pleonasm is. A human children would be a pleaonasm. Because I don't know any child that isn't human but I guess you're one of those people who say "baby dog" or "cat's children". I'm sorry if I made another mistake that I didn't see...english is my 2nd language.

And I'm glad you only care about things that bring you joy. Sounds totally balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.