Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree.

Cars are money pits that will drain you of every last dollar you have.

If you're counting on a Corvette to attract a certain type of female, that "type" will only be too glad to empty your wallet as well, before and after the divorce.

No thanks.
Sounds more like the definition of a wife.

Lol!

If you are buying cars to attract women, you deserve what you get. Understand that people can buy cars just to satisfy themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:10 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sounds more like the definition of a wife.

Lol!

If you are buying cars to attract women, you deserve what you get. Understand that people can buy cars just to satisfy themselves.
For some, I'm sure that this is true, but not for all...

I feel satisfaction when I have accomplished something through hard work and sacrifice; I don't feel any satisfaction writing out a check for an overpriced toy; I can get from Point A to Point B without a Corvette, thank you very much..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
My son's first car was a VW Karmann Ghia convertible. The high school girls loved that car and I remember him telling me (gloating) about what a "babe magnet" his car was.

I questioned him about how he felt knowing that the only reason the girls were interested in him was because of his car. His response was "That's okay, I'm only interested in them for one thing too!".

My son taught me a lot about about men and how they think.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My son taught me a lot about about men and how they think.
That's hilarious! But probably true...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
For some, I'm sure that this is true, but not for all...

I feel satisfaction when I have accomplished something through hard work and sacrifice; I don't feel any satisfaction writing out a check for an overpriced toy; I can get from Point A to Point B without a Corvette, thank you very much..
Yes. Sports cars are not made for people like you and the other citizens of Selfrighteousvania. They are for people who enjoy cars as more than mere transportation.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My son's first car was a VW Karmann Ghia convertible.
I thought I was the only one who owned one of those. It was my first car as well. Wasn't a convertible, though.

I had it for about three months and let my brother and his friends use it to go out. They went out and got loaded, and my Karmann Ghia got totaled.

Four of 'em were crammed in it and no one got hurt. That's probably because no one was sober.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Ok, this should be a fun thread, LMAO

I was having this discussion with the missus about getting rid of my toyota and buying a new car. I told her I wanted something fancy like a corvette.

Question 1: Are you serious?
Answer 1: Yes

Question 2: You don't have any debt now. You want to have debt and a car payment for several years???????
Answer 2: Well, I think I can handle it, it will be good credit history if we are to buy a house

Question 3: More importantly, do you wanna be perceived as a mid-life crisis 30-something guy, with a small penis and uses just the corvette to attract women????
Answer 3:

Then she went on to say, "Okay, good boy, your toyota is good enough. Just don't waste your money"

So, a question to the forum women, is this your perception of those kemosabes who drive around in noisy corvettes? They're all beta manlets??

Thoughts?

Finally, I told her I'll look to buy an electric car later in life from Toyota or Hyundai.

I have not read everything up to here, but you can certainly find some well-preserved C4 and C5 'vettes around, they represent a *lot* of car for $15K or less.

They are only "beta manlet" rides if being operated by posurs.

Depending on where you live though, actually a Miata might be more fun.

Either car, if you buy a good condition used specimen, will hold it's value fairly well.

The newer models are awesome, but cost more and you'll get beat up more on depreciation. My question would be where are you going to be able, even on track days, to really make use of what the C6 can do that the C5 can't? And is that worth the relatively steep cost differential?

By all means if you have the $ to do it, go for it, you ought to have a fun car, particularly when you are young. But that's not to say you should have a bunch of sprogs and tool around in a minvan when you get older. Unless that's what YOU want to do.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Sports cars are not made for people like you and the other citizens of Selfrighteousvania. They are for people who enjoy cars as more than mere transportation.
Indeed! People who look at a car as mere transportation are as pathetic to me as people who drink straight out of the bottle just to get drunk.

Same principle.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I worked as a receptionist for a Chevrolet dealership for a couple of years. It seemed to me that most of the guys buying the vettes were indeed 55+. I attributed it to the fact that this was the main group that could afford them!
Correct

But they are exempt. No way they are beta manlets. Many of them are super rich

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 09-07-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
In conclusion, I'm still hoping someday I'll be able to get me a solar car so I never have to waste another penny on gas or electricity.

But, yeah right, that'll be the day. The only way the car companies would ever let this happen is if the antichrist himself came and asked them to do it during his 7 years of world peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships