Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:42 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times

Advertisements

I'm also of the mind that if both people are content, then it doesn't matter.

I'm 5'8 and don't mind a guy around my height. I thought I wouldn't mind one shorter....my ex bf is 5'5, and I admit it started to bother me, especially when I wore heels. No one ever said anything, and it didn't bug me at first. I do wonder if it's because his attractiveness in general was waning instead of growing. When you've decided someone is not right for you, then any other "flaws" you can find will be used to justify that feeling. I think height is an excuse some women use concerning men they otherwise don't find attractive.

At 5'8, the ideal height to me would be 5'10-6'0. I kind of like a guy who is on eye level when I'm in heels, not necessarily towering over me. That's ideal though, NOT a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
If 5'9" is the average, then it isn't "short". Not that it matters. She could even like guys that were shorter than her--in terms of personality--and it wouldn't matter!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm also of the mind that if both people are content, then it doesn't matter.

I'm 5'8 and don't mind a guy around my height. I thought I wouldn't mind one shorter....my ex bf is 5'5, and I admit it started to bother me, especially when I wore heels. No one ever said anything, and it didn't bug me at first.I do wonder if it's because his attractiveness in general was waning instead of growing. When you've decided someone is not right for you, then any other "flaws" you can find will be used to justify that feeling. I think height is an excuse some women use concerning men they otherwise don't find attractive.

At 5'8, the ideal height to me would be 5'10-6'0. I kind of like a guy who is on eye level when I'm in heels, not necessarily towering over me. That's ideal though, NOT a requirement.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Honestly, I think if you daughter's biggest problem is that her 5'9" bf might be too short, then you're daughter has a hell of an excellent life
She doesn't have an issue with it at all...I was surprised her friends were so verbal about it but maybe because they were used to her being with her ex 6'2" bf. She likes him no matter what but it did hurt her feelings that the main thing they focused on after meeting him was his height! BTW her ex and this new bf are equally good looking and equally successful (both engineers) I just realized after being around 10 girls over the weekend that most have a serious check list and height is ome of the things that is on their list...apparently most expect to marry men all at least half a foot taller than them

Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
How old is your daughter and her friends? How tall is your daughter?
Don't know if this is directed to the OP (me) but my 26yo daughter is 5'7.5" so still shorter than him however alot of her girl friends are taller than her and one is 6'!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
...I was surprised her friends were so verbal about it but maybe because they were used to her being with her ex 6'2"
Or maybe because they are shallow and rather insensitive.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
...apparently most expect to marry men all at least half a foot taller than them

Wow. Well, I guess everyone has their preferences...

In general, the women I have dated have been shorter than me, or the same height. But I wouldn't pass them up simply because they'd be taller if wearing heels (not that I want her to be that "formal" or "dressy").

Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Don't know if this is directed to the OP (me) but my 26yo daughter is 5'7.5" so still shorter than him however alot of her girl friends are taller than her and one is 6'!
Maybe this is why they see him as too short...because they are taller? If that's the case, they may need a reality check. Being a taller woman often means dating someone on eye level or even shorter....

I'm the same age/height as your daughter and would be perfectly fine with dating a guy who is 5'9. My friends did not tease me when I dated someone shorter, but because a few of them are quite tall, they've often dated someone shorter themselves. It's just something they accept.

I actually notice short women tend to be the most sensitive to a man's height, probably because they can afford to be.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Same age as me and her friends would have a cow over my height (5'4'').

I never got the point over the obsession (we all have our preferences, but it's obsession of it that's amazing to me) of height. I think part of the nit-picking and "checklists" are why good relationships are hard to find these days.

Seriously, if he is a good guy who has a good head on his shoulders, has his stuff together, and treats her well, that's all that matters. Are her friends in good relationships? Do they have trouble dating or keeping relationships? I think the answers to those questions will help clear up the picture a lot.

BTW, a general question for, what % of the male adult population is actually 6 ft. and over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Maybe this is why they see him as too short...because they are taller? If that's the case, they may need a reality check. Being a taller woman often means dating someone on eye level or even shorter....

I'm the same age/height as your daughter and would be perfectly fine with dating a guy who is 5'9. My friends did not tease me when I dated someone shorter, but because a few of them are quite tall, they've often dated someone shorter themselves. It's just something they accept.

I actually notice short women tend to be the most sensitive to a man's height, probably because they can afford to be.
I agree with you on the short women who tend to be most sensitive. To be honest, I've always found the short women-tall guy thing (and I'm talking a rather huge difference) a little goofy when they walk down the street.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,271 times
I just met a woman who is 4`-9" and one half...i`m 5`-5"....to me, she is the ideal height...worth gold, she can cook too..and likes football...shes a keeper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships