Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
If it hadn't been for medication, I probably wouldn't be here today.
I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Theres a stigma attached to seeing therapists and taking meds. I have friend who took in a boy who was bipolar, his parents didn't live together, but the father had drilled into his head that only crazy people take medication, so he didn't. Everyone had pretty much given up on the kid because no one could handle him.
I applaud your honesty and willingness to share, it may really help someone reading this thread

You know, it's one thing if someone has tried therapy or medications and they just weren't successful so they develop an attitude of "meds and therapy don't work" (sadly in some people they just don't).

But it's just ridiculously ignorant to say those things when you've had absolutely no personal experience and are just spouting off your prejudice, perpetuating a stigma that may keep people like our OP from getting relief from their pain.

Every person has a responsibility to themselves to make their life the best it can be. When you break a bone you see a orthopedic doctor. You take care of your teeth by seeing a dentist. If you're a diabetic you take insulin. And if you're "crying and infinitely depressed" and not enjoying your life talking to a therapist is an appropriate way to take care of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm also pretty sure that you've heard the argument that our society is over-medicated - do you want to contribute to their ammunition?

Yes, meds have their uses - my personal opinion (backed by years of conversations "off-the-book" with doctors, therapists and pharmacists) is that they are over-prescribed.
You have a valid point, pharmaceuticals are big money in this country and there are meds being over prescribed by doctors so people don't have to work though their issues, their own or their kids and find alternatives. Depression is real. Whether the OP is actually in a depressive state is something only an MD can determine.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You have a valid point, pharmaceuticals are big money in this country and there are meds being over prescribed by doctors so people don't have to work though their issues, their own or their kids and find alternatives. Depression is real. Whether the OP is actually in a depressive state is something only an MD can determine.
Now see, that's why I like you - you're logical and reasonable, and you smell good too!

Seriously - I agree.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Now see, that's why I like you - you're logical and reasonable, and you smell good too!

Seriously - I agree.
Thank you Dr. Seuss

Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,033 times
Wink hello,friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am generally very depressed on thanksgiving day.

Everything is closed, not even panera is open. No gyms. No workouts. Jogging outside is boring. All malls are closed. Sometimes I have felt like Will Smith driving in I am legend. I have seen a few deers too.

People sometimes make me eat turkey and I puke all of it out in a couple of hours. The great American cooking

Anyway, it's depression day as all of the US is in holiday mode. Even Mrs Chamataka goes to visit her folks. Besides, I don't live in the same city as her now.

Any hot therapist wants to therapize one Antlered Chamataka. He's got the skin of the tan Gods. Awesome mane and is a total stud. Therapists, therapize me away, NOW

Wait, I mean on thanksgiving day
hello ,I am a chinese girl,so I am not very understanding on thanksingiving day,but I hope you can happy ,maybe you can think some cheerful things throuth this festival. The purpose of the festival is to make people happy ,do not in What did you .It is dependent on you mood.

best reards.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM

6 posts, read 6,033 times
hi friend,
I am 22 years old girl ,and Will soon graduate at college. I had a long time emotion the same to you . now, I am ok. I hope you can.
In fact,I konw you are ok,you just have a little happliness in the begun.but you did't change you mood in time.so it make the situation today. you feel lonely and lost. you begin to doubt of your ability and deny youself.
now,you just find a thing to affirm you are ok.you are good, you are only one in the word. you need to retrieve your confidence. I think the thing that is a litte in the life.now, you take atcion to certify youself as soon as possible.
best regards.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
i used to go into counseling while at college and i found that it helped but was too slow a process.... my problem with most meet up groups is they tend to cater to older, more socially inept people. i am lonely but surprisngly and remarkably well adjusted.......
"Socially inept" people.
How many of these groups have you actually tried?
These people are in your area, in your age group, and look like a lot of fun.

http://www.20sand30sgroup.com/

Here's another - first meeting is tonight so everyone would be a newby:

About The D.C. Single - The D.C. Single (Washington, DC) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/The-D-C-Single/about/ - broken link)

Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM

206 posts, read 768,366 times
thanks so much everyone for taking the time to provide such thoughtful and truly helpful suggestions and advice. and believe me when i say that despite coming off as completely whiney and ungratful during this little mini-venting session (lol), i am really really aware of how fortunate and blessed i have been. i have had an extraordinary opportunity to live this very unusual life that is, as you can sense, filled with challanges, but is inherently special. the experiences and opportunities i have had, many cannot even deem to dream of, attending top notch private schools, mingling with the world's elite and powerful, globe trotting since the tender age of 4 to be raised in 4 different continents of the world. the people and places i have seen and been a part of are sometimes overwhelming. the insights i have gained and the depth of diversity and 3-dimensionality i have witnessed, set me apart. i find i can't relate to many people. my closest friends, though scattered about the globe, are also children of diplomats. so to be suddenly, at the already tumultuous and confusing age of 16, into a mundane, small town all american public high school was...strange to say the least. the people around me were soo...static and soo fixed into their own little routine. so unaware of little outside the daily parade of teenage drama that consumed our neatly boxed classrooms.

despite my friend-lessness, i have always been tremendously close to my family. we have been through so much together. they are my one constant in my ever changing and complex life. during these years, my soial life was my family. looking back i now realize...i want more. i don't exactly understand why integrating into the american life has been so hard for me given the fact that in the past, after every move, i did manage to form a group of friends. this is the first time in my life that after 7 years of schooling in the u.s i find myself lonely and without a social group to call my own.

and those of you suggestions therapy, i had been seeing one in college. although halfway through she signed me a clean bill of mental health and suggested that i was too normal to need her services.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
i used to go into counseling while at college and i found that it helped but was too slow a process. she was wonderful and i always felt so much lighter walking out of her office. i'm looking for a new therapist these days actually.
Quote:
and those of you suggestions therapy, i had been seeing one in college. although halfway through she signed me a clean bill of mental health and suggested that i was too normal to need her services.
In one post you said you're searching for a new therapist and the process was too slow and changed it to the therapist gave you a clean bill of mental health and no need of the services.

So, which one was it? If you're searching for a new therapist then you know somethings not right and you can't intellectualize it away. If you're going to get the help your seeking, it means you have to open yourself up emotionally trust the therapist and be real.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Yep, they take all that money from you to tell you that you are normal, while you're basically normal the whole time

If I were to borrow a quote from Geoffrey Rush where he plays Marquis de Sade:

"I'd love to carve THERAPY on the ar$es of all therapists and fill it up with salt"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships