Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not in my place and not in the majority of places. If my bartender/server EVER sabotaged one of my dinners either he or she would be out of the door in a heartbeat. When someone kids around before they're served then I remind them that best they not tick me off BEFORE they're served but it's all in fun.
You're a restaurant owner? Well, that's good to know about YOUR place, but I'm apprehensive when it comes to this. I take extreme caution when dealing with the wait staff and chefs in the back. Heard too many stories, from folks who work in the food industry, about what they do to people's food who **** them off. A lot of friends don't even like eating out at restaurants because of this stigma. They'd rather cook at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Rakin wrote:
Quote:
The only complaint I have is people always time their question to you right as you just stuffed that big bite of chewy steak in your mouth.
I couldn't agree more. This seems to always happen to me in restaurants. Just after I've chomped off a big bite of a cheeseburger and in no condition to speak a waiter or waitress will come by with an ear to ear smile and ask me "How's that burger?". Your options are very limited, you can open your mouth and attempt to respond while exhibiting the contents of your mouth, you can attempt to smile and give a big nod to suggest that the food is great, or you could empty the contents of your mouth into a napkin in order to report your thoughts on the meal. The only acceptable solution is door number two in my opinion.
I had the unpleasant experience in a restaurant several years ago when my Step Father took a bite of steak that was more than his chomping teeth could handle and so he attempted to swallow the whole lot. That's when the gag reflex, the need to breath, and other animal instincts took over and he began choking and finally coughed up the offending morsel. We were getting a little worried and his adopted son's wife who's a nurse was ready to take more drastic action. I think we all lost our appetites when he engaged in what might be described as a semi-puke when that defiant piece of steak dropped into his plate accompanied by a little liquid. We actually started chuckling about it a few minutes later when we knew he was ok but no one finished their meal or ordered desert.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Now, looking through all of these I have come to one conclusion,"we have become astonishingly sad".

We say that animals are stupid, but yet we're starting to eat like animals.
We complain about the way kids are today, but yet we're the ones who taught them to be like they are.
We raise them like heathens, but yet we try to demand their respect.
Who are we kidding here, we're at fault. I know my mom and dad raised our family with table manners, but yet I see all the rules being broken by the grand kids and my siblings are at fault. Shame I can see me now, sitting at the super table and play so video, or texting my friends during dinner. And my dad smacking me upside the head saying, "Put that stupid thing away, we raised you better than that". 40 years ago if they would have had them (hand held games) I would have never even considered the idea of bringing a toy or phone to the table like these parents today allow their kid to today. But yet the parents are whining that their child are distant from them, Humm I wonder why .

Other pet peeves:

What ever happened to placing a napkin on the lap?

Sitting up at the table, not slouching like you have no spine?

Asking "please pass the potato's" and saying thank you.

Eating what is placed before and not making rude remarks about what is on the table. Mom is NOT a short order cook!

Eating in front of the TV and not at the table, just because you have to watch a stupid ball game or program, TIVO/record the dang thing and watch it after diner. Show some respect to the person that prepared the meal.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

228 posts, read 500,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Eating in front of the TV and not at the table, just because you have to watch a stupid ball game or program, TIVO/record the dang thing and watch it after diner. Show some respect to the person that prepared the meal.
What if you live alone?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuous1 View Post
What if you live alone?
TV tray may be acceptable as long as you place the napkin on your lap and not in your shirt. Other that that you need to ask Martha Stuart. LOL

Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
That must be part of Waitressing 101, I swear it never fails, any time I'm out to eat they wait until you've just taken that first bite and your mouth is full to ask how the food is. I think one day I'll just spit it out in my hand and tell her it's delicious, then shove it back in my mouth.
I had to laugh at this, while blushing profusely, because I did this one time in college. I was dating my now-ex-husband, and griping that every time I had my mouth full, the waitress would pop over, and I had to do that hold-your-finger-in-the-air-one-second-please gesture, just to swallow and say everything's fine. I said the next time that happened, I'd just answer with my mouth full. My ex triple dog dared me, and I did it. A nice big "It's fine, thanks!". My ex was cracking up, because that's the kind of obnoxious people we were, just to get a laugh.

I'm so ashamed of myself....

For the record, I have since matured, and, as long as I'm not eating anything with marinara sauce while wearing a white top, I'm good!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
My biggest pet peeve is for someone to point out how bad this food for my health while I'm eating it!!!

"Are you REALLY eating that street meat from the vendor??? Do you know how BAD it is for you???"

Dumb nuts, my husband is in this field, do you REALLY think I don't know how bad it is for me!!! I'm eating it because it tastes good and I'm allowed to treat myself to a bad food when I want to.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I had to laugh at this, while blushing profusely, because I did this one time in college. I was dating my now-ex-husband, and griping that every time I had my mouth full, the waitress would pop over, and I had to do that hold-your-finger-in-the-air-one-second-please gesture, just to swallow and say everything's fine. I said the next time that happened, I'd just answer with my mouth full. My ex triple dog dared me, and I did it. A nice big "It's fine, thanks!". My ex was cracking up, because that's the kind of obnoxious people we were, just to get a laugh.

I'm so ashamed of myself....

For the record, I have since matured, and, as long as I'm not eating anything with marinara sauce while wearing a white top, I'm good!
I'm amazed you people would inconvenience yourselves in order to gain the approval of the inconsiderate wait staff! Probably because the stupid “treat the wait staff well regardless" rules have been made so popular. Cpg certainly has done his best to spread them on this forum on numerous occasions. No, I’m not there to please the waiters; I’m there to please myself and/or whoever I’m with. I would nod... or not.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
I guess most of my habits are consider rude since it's part of my culture to eat differently. I do slurp soups, drinks, and other goodies. I don't do all of the things above, but I don't consider them to be rude either...So it works both ways for me.

The only thing I find is rude is when people point at the "rude" habits when, in fact, it is not rude in their cultures. So eating with your mouth close, no slurping, etc., might be rude to other people. I suppose it's easier for me to adapt and switch back and forth. I can eat how you want to eat but if you are in my home, then you better eat like us. If I can be flexible in my eating habits, then but you better be flexible in learning how to eat differently as well. It's quite fun if you think about it.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
My biggest pet peeve is for someone to point out how bad this food for my health while I'm eating it!!!

"Are you REALLY eating that street meat from the vendor??? Do you know how BAD it is for you???"

Dumb nuts, my husband is in this field, do you REALLY think I don't know how bad it is for me!!! I'm eating it because it tastes good and I'm allowed to treat myself to a bad food when I want to.
Haha! That is hysterical! My brother's girlfriend/ fiancee' (whatever she is now) and her parents came to my home and I cooked and baked before they got here and while they were here and lovely meals were ready for them...yet, they only ate steamed broccoli and talked about how bad the gluten in the wheat is, how many calories this or that has, the number of carbs something else has...I wanted to poke them in the eye by the time they left here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships