Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,662 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm 27 years old. 6.2'' and about 160lbs. Physically fit, just very "slim". I look like I'm 12 because I have very young facial features. Braces adorn my mouth, yet I have a very deep voice. Here are some of my daily and life challenges.

1.Dating:
I'm naturally attracted to older women. Can't help it. My last girlfriend was 36 when I was 26. I have nothing against younger women other than we just seem to not "click" as well. The problem lies with relationship longevity. Older women eventually get weary of my age\looks and this causes a rift that results in us breaking up over my "youthful" persona. Its funny but it almost seems like a cop out but I digress.

2. "Feeling Protected"?
Been told once (date often), that I don't look as though I can protect a female by a female friend. I thought it was hilarious, then I pondered "do most women views slim/tall guys as weak?" I play basketball with some meat heads and while they are quite stronger than I, my endurance and coordination far surpasses these cumbersome wads of protein. Not to mention I'm intellectually superior in most cases. But the funniest thing of all is that this same person has acknowledged how easily I befriend ALL types. Easy to get along with, and people never confront me.

3.Big girls:
Now for some reason I will never understand, women of large portions are absolutely intrigued by my skinny ass. I don't understand this as it could not end well if we were to have "relations". What gives?

Being slim is not all its cracked up to be....anyone else experience this?

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 11-04-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Ok, so I'm 27 years old. 6.2'' and about 160lbs. Physically fit, just very "slim". I look like I'm 12 because I have very young facials features. Braces adorn my mouth, yet I have a very deep voice. Here are some of my daily and life challenges.

1.Dating:
I'm naturally attracted to older women. Can't help it. My last girlfriend was 36 when I was 26. I have nothing against younger women other than I we just seem to not "click" as well. The problem lies with relationship longevity. Older women eventually get weary of my age\looks and this causes a rift that results in us breaking up over my "youthful" persona. Its funny but it almost seems like a cop out but I digress.

2. "Feeling Protected"?
Been told once (date often), that I don't look as though I can protect a female by a female friend. I thought it was hilarious, then I pondered "do most women views slim/tall guys as weak?" I play basketball with some meat heads and while they are quite stronger than I, my endurance and coordination far surpasses these cumbersome wads of protein. Not to mention I'm intellectually superior in most cases. But the funniest thing of all is that this same person has acknowledged how easily I befriend ALL types. Easy to get along with, and people never confront me.

The feeling protected thing seems weird since women here make it seem like they feel like Tall guys can protect them from the world

Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Being slim is not all its cracked up to be....
Wish I had your problem! EAT! Eat for me, too!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Girls love tall guys usually, not sure about tall and super scrawny, but my best friend from high school was two inches taller than you and he always seemed to do great with girls after high school, at least. In college and grad school and whatnot.

You ARE a toothpick though, haha, that's funny. I'm your exact age, but I'm 5'10" and between 180 and 185. I used to weigh 132, back before I started working out, but I've since put on about 50 pounds of muscle. I'm very lean / athletic, but I deal with a somewhat obnoxious problem along those lines too because my bone structure is so small that even despite being really muscular, I get people who think I'm pretty thin or I get a meathead who is no stronger than I am (but bigger looking) saying, "Yo bro, you should hit the gym," and I'm like excuse me? I'm actually considered "overweight" on the BMI and "big framed" by health standards now, that's how buff I am, so no, bro, I don't need to "hit the gym," haha. It's funny because if I wear a larger shirt, I guess I look smaller, but when I wear any of my more form-fitting shirts, I look big, so I guess that's just how it goes.

The only real advantage is in the gym, if you don't look like you're that big, but you're doing more weight than guys who look bigger, it's pretty great. It's better in that respect, more surprising. The meatheads get ticked if a guy who looks smaller can lift more than them

Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Off topic, i never understood what the obsession is with guys and comparing themselves to how much another guy can lift. I go through arguements with a "friend" all the time, he's telling me to lift more, yet I can beat him in anything natural you set the competition at aside from laying on a bench and lifting. Running, situps, pushups, sports, a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Girls love tall guys usually, not sure about tall and super scrawny, but my best friend from high school was two inches taller than you and he always seemed to do great with girls after high school, at least. In college and grad school and whatnot.

You ARE a toothpick though, haha, that's funny. I'm your exact age, but I'm 5'10" and between 180 and 185. I used to weigh 132, back before I started working out, but I've since put on about 50 pounds of muscle. I'm very lean / athletic, but I deal with a somewhat obnoxious problem along those lines too because my bone structure is so small that even despite being really muscular, I get people who think I'm pretty thin or I get a meathead who is no stronger than I am (but bigger looking) saying, "Yo bro, you should hit the gym," and I'm like excuse me? I'm actually considered "overweight" on the BMI and "big framed" by health standards now, that's how buff I am, so no, bro, I don't need to "hit the gym," haha. It's funny because if I wear a larger shirt, I guess I look smaller, but when I wear any of my more form-fitting shirts, I look big, so I guess that's just how it goes.

The only real advantage is in the gym, if you don't look like you're that big, but you're doing more weight than guys who look bigger, it's pretty great. It's better in that respect, more surprising. The meatheads get ticked if a guy who looks smaller can lift more than them

Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Ok, so I'm 27 years old. 6.2'' and about 160lbs. Physically fit, just very "slim". I look like I'm 12 because I have very young facials features. Braces adorn my mouth, yet I have a very deep voice. Here are some of my daily and life challenges.

1.Dating:
I'm naturally attracted to older women. Can't help it. My last girlfriend was 36 when I was 26. I have nothing against younger women other than I we just seem to not "click" as well. The problem lies with relationship longevity. Older women eventually get weary of my age\looks and this causes a rift that results in us breaking up over my "youthful" persona. Its funny but it almost seems like a cop out but I digress.
The braces probably don't help. They are still associated with kids because it's unusual to see an adult with them. How much longer do you have to wear them? How do you dress? Are you DJ Qualls in an Atari T-shirt, or do you dress your age? Do you wear hoodies and skinny jeans?

Are you sure it's your age and looks? If an older woman is attracted to your youthful looks, why would that go away? Your looks don't change. Are you perhaps more outgoing and lively when people first meet you, and you're quieter and more subdued later?

Quote:
2. "Feeling Protected"?
It's just an instinctive thing. We just generally respond better when you are bigger than we are. Likewise, men generally respond better when we are smaller than they are. Yes, there are exceptions. No, it's not particularly logical. But that's what it is.

Quote:
3.Big girls:
Now for some reason I will never understand, women of large portions are absolutely intrigued by my skinny ass. I don't understand this as it could not end well if we were to have "relations". What gives?
That's because, statistically, you are morely likely to be better endowed because you are tall. You have larger hands than average men. You have larger feet than most men. Et cetera. Also, you are slender so more of you will show. Surely you don't need me to explain why a woman, especially a larger one, would be attracted to that.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,328 times
I honestly cant imagine you having THAT much trouble with women.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Off topic, i never understood what the obsession is with guys and comparing themselves to how much another guy can lift. I go through arguements with a "friend" all the time, he's telling me to lift more, yet I can beat him in anything natural you set the competition at aside from laying on a bench and lifting. Running, situps, pushups, sports, a fight.
Eh, it's not really that relevant actually how much you can lift necessarily at any given thing. I mean, I use my BowFlex a lot, I can max it on chest, all of the weight, but I don't use every chest machine out there, so if I walked into a gym and used a chest machine I rarely or never use, I may take 3-6 weeks to adjust to that one. Whereas if someone else uses it every week, they may be able to do more than me on that, even though my chest muscles are stronger. It's specificity of training. There are only a few major ones that are pretty standard, like bench press, maybe squats (although I hate squats, more dangerous than leg press), leg press, bicep curls, things like that.

Keep in mind some people probably don't have much else in the way of athletic ability, I mean that not in an offensive way, but if you focus a lot on working out with weights, it's fun to see if you can keep beating yourself, new personal bests, etc. And you get rather obsessed with that even though if you step away from it, you realize it only matters what you look like, how strong you are overall, not exact weights. I used to think oh man I'm awesome because I can do X, Y, Z weights on these random machines that aren't even available everywhere. Then I started Tae-Kwon-Do and realized that all of the strength in the world wasn't helping me execute an accurate roundhouse kick or do anything else I wanted to do, and that girls who weighed a lot less were suddenly kind of scary if they had 2nd or 3rd degree black belts. But I trained myself, got a black belt in two martial arts, and for me that was the point I stopped caring about specific weights too much, either what I weighed or what I could lift or what anyone else could lift, considering I was and am pretty confident it doesn't matter what you lift, I can still kick your butt if you have no training haha. Really big people are easy to fight, they can't move too fast and they tire easily.

I wouldn't want to be much bigger than I am now, I'd lose too much agility. There is a golden mean, and while I wouldn't mind my arms being even bigger, my chest is pretty huge, it really couldn't get much bigger with my body size.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I married a guy who is 6'0" and 145--so he's the same body type as you. I love it. I find him incredibly attractive and handsome. I've always felt like he could protect me (but then, I need him to protect me from social situations more than gun shots and fights--I live in the suburbs of DC, not inner city LA).

I will second the poster that said to make sure you dress your age. DH has to wear dress clothes to work each day, and it goes a long way to making him look older. He has a baby face too, and at 25 he could pass for high school if needed. Dressing the part of a confident, successful adult goes a long way towards helping his outward image towards others.

A big thing was when I finally convinced him he wasn't a size Large. He had all these shirts and such that were huge--he's tall, so he thought that justified it. He looks SO much more put together when I finally got him to buy slim cut polos and fitted dress shirts.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I married a guy who is 6'0" and 145--so he's the same body type as you. I love it. I find him incredibly attractive and handsome. I've always felt like he could protect me (but then, I need him to protect me from social situations more than gun shots and fights--I live in the suburbs of DC, not inner city LA).

I will second the poster that said to make sure you dress your age. DH has to wear dress clothes to work each day, and it goes a long way to making him look older. He has a baby face too, and at 25 he could pass for high school if needed. Dressing the part of a confident, successful adult goes a long way towards helping his outward image towards others.

A big thing was when I finally convinced him he wasn't a size Large. He had all these shirts and such that were huge--he's tall, so he thought that justified it. He looks SO much more put together when I finally got him to buy slim cut polos and fitted dress shirts.
Haha, hey! I live in inner city LA, but that's not where you have to worry about, our "inner city" is the entertainment and financial districts, the nicest areas of the city. It's Compton and Watts you gotta be worried about haha. There's tons of money in downtown Los Angeles, and therefore tons of police. I am very safe here. I've always thought DC was pretty scary, frankly, crime there is pretty high! We have building security, district safety, LAPD, and my building even has an FBI field agent, two detectives, and then we see a lot of other random law enforcement officers. I even saw a U.S. Marshall earlier this year, and they're RARE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships