Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Getting serious here but it may be too late to train an Old Dog.

Knowing the power of women I would 1st have a serious heart to heart talk with Mr Crudeness and let him know your displeasure. Then you as a women need to start the "Good behavior gets reward / Bad behavior gets punishment" program that I would use on just about any dog / horse / man.

Use your feminine charm & powers to change the traits of this man. Too bad he didn't have a parent bop him in the head about 40 years ago when he was the cute kid making obnoxious noises.

Like a wild dog he may be untrainable. JMO
YES!

And here's the hard part. GIVE HIM NO ENCOURAGEMENT! Don't laugh or act like it's funny even if it is. You have to be displeased and act it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,286,519 times
1. Stop preparing meals that involve cruciferous vegetables or milk products.

2. Slip [URL="http://www.beanogas.com/"]Beano[/URL] into his food when he's not looking.

You're SOL with the grocery-store antics, though.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,758,119 times
In all seriousness, crude behaviour by your SO is a reflection on you. I would never put up with that, ever. I expect a socially acceptable standard of behaviour by anyone I am seen in public with. If he continues with this juvenile and frankly, disgusting antic, stop going out with him.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
I am confused...

You said, "knew/dated/lived with him for four years before we married. For about the first year and a half after we met, he was a "gentleman" and I fell in love with him. Then the "real" him came out"

It sounds to me like the "real him" came out well before you married him - yet you married him anyway?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
I know some of you (or a lot of you) will suggest counseling, but I have to say upfront that I don't see that as a possibility. I took my adopted daughter for counseling for years and all the therapists did was enable her to feel sorry for herself - I never saw any benefit from taking her, and yes, I did try several different therapists.
Thanks for adding that, seriously. I mean it. Kudos to you

If only every new member adds this in the end, the world will be a much more peaceful place.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,599,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
No way could I ever "fight fire with fire." That's just not me, and besides, I know positively that he would be tickled to death if I did. It wouldn't embarass him at all.

When my dad passed, we went to the funeral home for family night, and my husband farted extremely loudly when we got inside. How could I not be embarrassed by that????
Is it possible the socially unacceptable behaviors are passive aggressive?

Maybe he doesn't want to go shopping with you or family functions and acts as crude as he possibly can in hopes that he can stay home.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
OP, I found this thread on a google search because I am experiencing similar difficulties in my marriage. Please know that I empathize. To everyone else who says "suck it up" because we "knew what we were getting into", have a heart. Don't you think we would have done things differently if it were possible to go back? Maybe at the time we thought we could live with their antics or even found them amusing at the time. People change and tolerances change. OP, send me a message at [email]maddash6666@yahoo.ca[/email] if you'd like to talk one on one.

Last edited by TotallyRandomMe; 12-05-2010 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: I put the wrong email in

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,179,332 times
What you need is a good insect repellant to kill those barking spiders that crawl up his pants.

But seriously, I think he wants attention and thinks his antics are humorous.
He seems to have a childish way of getting noticed.
Don't know what the cure is for that.
We all pass gas once in awhile. But most mature adlults don't make it a public showing. Or maybe I should say public noising.
He may have a low self esteem problem and this is his way of getting people to notice him and maybe give them a laugh.
Any person at his age should be over that by now.
Even if it is a medical problem, a mature person would try to keep the noise down.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,308,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Was he like this when you were dating, farting in public, acting immature and unable to hold a job? Or are you saying he started changing 2.5 years ago, after you married?

(PS I think people here go over board with suggesting counseling.)

ETA: I missed this part: For about the first year and a half after we met, he was a "gentleman" and I fell in love with him. Then the "real" him came out, and oh how embarassing.

Sorry but I think you are out of luck and have to grin and bear it. You knew what you were getting in to, he did not dupe you. The real him came out, and you chose to marry him anyway. I think it is unfair of you to try to control his behavior now.
Yep, you knew he was like this for about 2 years and married him anyways. You can continue to try to talk to him about it and I think as a good husband who cares about your feelings he should tone it down some, but you picked him!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,308,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyRandomMe View Post
OP, I found this thread on a google search because I am experiencing similar difficulties in my marriage. Please know that I empathize. To everyone else who says "suck it up" because we "knew what we were getting into", have a heart. Don't you think we would have done things differently if it were possible to go back? Maybe at the time we thought we could live with their antics or even found them amusing at the time. People change and tolerances change. OP, send me a message at maddash6666@yahoo.ca if you'd like to talk one on one.
You're right, we're heartless for blaming you for your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships