Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,145 times

Advertisements

A guy meets a girl at a club. He talks to her for a while by phone. He goes out with the same girl and her female friends (which he met for the first time) to celebrate her birthday. On a second occasion, he joins her to hang out/party with those same group of female friends. Upon leaving he tells the girl goodnight and then individually gives her female friends a hug and a kiss goodbye before he leaves.

I was just curious - is that appropriate or inappropriate to you?

He said women who have a problem with this are insecure.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
A guy meets a girl at a club. He talks to her for a while by phone. He goes out with the same girl and her female friends (which he met for the first time) to celebrate her birthday. On a second occasion, he joins her to hang out/party with those same group of female friends. Upon leaving he tells the girl goodnight and then individually gives her female friends a hug and a kiss goodbye before he leaves.

What are your thoughts?
Is he American? I'm just trying to rule out cultural customs.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM

380 posts, read 795,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Agreed, I could see the hug (and would be perfectly fine with that) but the "kiss" seems strange to me.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I'm a little confused by your question. What/who was he responding to when he said that, "women who have a problem with this are insecure"? A friendly goodbye hug and a peck on the cheek are perfectly acceptable amongst friends and after spending two evenings with the same group and enjoying the company I can't see that it's "inappropriate" at face value.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
Agreed, I could see the hug (and would be perfectly fine with that) but the "kiss" seems strange to me.
Yes, that's what I meant to ask, too. To the OP: was the kiss on the cheek or mouth?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post

He's american.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm a little confused by your question. What/who was he responding to when he said that, "women who have a problem with this are insecure"?

When this guy mentioned this to his friend, she asked him why did he feel the need to hug and kiss her friends on the cheek. That was his response, that she's just insecure and the hug and kiss with the girls friends was perfectly fine.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:

Appropriate in theory. Americans can be huggers, and if the group is friendly, it can be no big deal. Kisses on the cheek are also fine in theory. Kisses on the mouth, not so much.

Individual preferences trump generalities, though.

Quote:
Which women? The woman he is dating, or the friends? Everybody has a right to not be hugged and kissed by people without being frowned at. If the woman's friends thought it was weird, then it was inappropriate.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Maybe he's trying to keep his options open...

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
I would feel a little weird about it, personally, only because if I'm reading this right, he's only met these girls twice...right?

If it were a "second date" kind of situation, sure, a kiss on the cheek or the lips or what-have-you. A second platonic meeting? That seems a little "off" to me.

If he jumped right on the "insecurity" card without batting an eye, then 1) it's probably not the first time he's done this and that the other woman/women was/were "insecure" in reaction and/or 2) he's feeling defensive...hence, he may be hiding something.

Either way, it doesn't sound like this guy's exactly stellar in the social department. I personally might just shrug it off to that, but I would NOT tolerate the "you're just insecure" thing. Silliness and games right out of the gate? I'd keep smilin' and slowly phase this guy out.

That's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships