Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Okay, I guess I was close to what you are talking about, once, my husband supported me, and I had one child at home. But I was not just out gallivanting around. My husband made a good salary, and worked about 60-70 hours a week. Because of that, everything in our home was my responsibility from the cars, to the yard, everything, paying bills. He basically came home to a clean house, a hot meal, with fresh clothes, and he did nothing but work. That was okay, for awhile. But it became dysfunctional, when he would complain about things, but do nothing about it. And he felt like since he worked, he could come home, and treat me however he wanted to...yell at me, whatever...nope, I am not like that...so, I started going to school, and working, still kept the home perfect, and left eventually, because he never appreciated anything I ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Equality = women have the CHOICE to be pretty vases or workaholics or anything in between. Equality is NOT all women suddenly desiring to become CEOs. Feminism and the feminist movement was all about having options.

Good point.

Just kindly extend the same courtesy to men, then we would all be happy.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Good point.

A man is more than welcome to be a trophy husband--he just has to find the wife who wants that arrangement, as was discussed a few dozen posts ago.

I don't know of anyone from my generation who is a stay at home spouse (sans children), male or female. The stay at home dad movement is rapidly increasing though--men have the ability to stay home if they want to. Society is not preventing that.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Good point.

Men have the same "courtesy".

Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I suppose I am a stay at home wife. I was a stay at home mom but then the kids grew up. It's amazing how much there still is to do especially when the working husband travels 50% of the time.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
I was a stay at home wife (no kids) for awhile. The reason was that I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do career-wise, and had a really hard time figuring that out. So around age 30, for a little over a year, I was a stay at home wife while trying to figure out what I wanted to do. At that time we had just moved cross-country to a new city where we didn't know anyone and I had been trying to find a job without any luck, so after a few months of sending out resumes, I just decided to be a stay at home wife until I decided on a new career path. (I did not want to pursue the career path that I had left when we moved). During that year of being a stay at home wife I had a lot of anxiety due to the move--moving to a new city and not knowing anyone was much harder for me to deal with than I had expected. I was incredibly lonely all the time. I can't say I did much housework while I was a stay at home wife, as we were in a small apartment that didn't require much maintenance, but spent most of my time pursuing my own interests--sightseeing, taking adult ed classes, reading, trying to make friends through various social groups. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do career-wise at the same time. This is going to sound terrible, but I slept in until noon nearly every day, and stayed up late watching movies. I had nothing more pressing to do. The lack of structure did get to me after awhile, and I developed severe anxiety because of the lack of structure and loneliness. My husband was totally fine with my being a stay at home wife.

Except for the lack of structure and the loneliness which was causing me a lot of anxiety, I enjoyed this lifestyle, and now that I'm immersed in my new career, I often wonder whether I was happier in that role. I think overall that I actually was. The reason is that I find working very stressful, and I miss the stress-free days of being a stay at home wife. I didn't feel that I was accomplishing much as a stay at home wife, but then again, I don't feel that I'm accomplishing much now in my new career. I am still very lonely.

I feel more "boring" now as a working woman than I did as a stay at home wife, when I had the time to pursue my interests, since now I don't have the time for that. I also don't have the energy to get the cleaning/laundry/chores/cooking done--I can't remember the last time I cooked anything other than spaghetti. I don't know how people have the energy to get their housework/cooking done while working full time.

I often think about just quitting what I'm doing and going back to being a stay at home wife, and eventually staying home with kids (when we have them). I don't see anything wrong with being a stay at home wife without kids and pursuing one's own interests if both members of the couple are fine with it.

Last edited by Bass101; 12-02-2010 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
If I am rich, I do not want my wife to go to work. And enjoyed her happiness.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM

50 posts, read 162,440 times
well I am a old fashion type of Gal, and I do think as long, as the wife, does, her job at home,taking care of you, and not being lazy, and respect you as the head of the house, then absolutely, you are a selfless man and as long as you find a selfless woman, you both should be happy, I admire, that there are still men out here that as well are old fashion, kudos to you!! P.S. don't listen to stupid, thats why he named himself stupid,

Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
That is a good article and the reasoning is logical. I believe the reason anyone would be against this for someone else is jealousy or resentment that the couple can live on one income.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I don't know if I could be a stay at home wife to just keep the house, make dinner, and be an all around domestic goddess for my dh. A SAHM, OTOH, is a different story. But, no kids? I would be compelled to start some kind of business. Pretty much anything I do for enjoyment has a selling component. When I was an artist, I sold my art. Anything I make I like to move if at all possible. Now that I'm into photography at some point I'll be consigning my work, trying my hand at weddings, etc. I can't help it. To be clear, it's more than just bringing in the money. I like the interaction with people and figuring out how to bring something to success. We're all different, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships