Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 AM

90 posts, read 294,395 times

Advertisements

So I have recently found myself in a rather odd dating situation. Brief backstory: Two years ago I moved to another city for a year. Towards the end of that time, I started going out with a guy. We officially broke up when I moved back to my old city, but we stayed in close contact and had said we wanted to get back together because there was a very strong chance I would be moving back to his city a year later. Indeed, a year later, in September, I moved back but life had happened in the meantime and he was no longer interested in getting back together. Sad, but so it goes and I can't say I didn't see it coming. So I've being enjoying myself, getting over him, and trying to meet new people.

So about a month ago I ran into one of my old friends at a bar where we had both gone out with groups of friends. He had a very attractive friend with him, and so after catching up with him, I was quite interested in talking to his friend. We really hit it off and exchanged numbers and all. Last night I hung out with him and some of his friends and he was very interested (we kissed at the end of the night). So here is my problem.

New guy just so happens to have the same name, be in the same profession, and went to the same school as my ex (a few years apart, they don't know each other). WTF. That wasn't why I was interested in him at all, so when I found all that info out in the course of the conversation it was... rather off-putting. But obviously he is a totally different person from my recent ex-boyfriend and it's not his fault he happens to have the same name/profession/school. He's fun and nice, we get really along well, he's very attractive, so I don't think it's fair to write him off. On the other hand, it's really weird.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
NEVER ever judge one person based on another person.
we are all individuals and we may share traits,
but no one is ever truly alike.

Jonathan

Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
I think it's a little weird that you think it's weird enough to warrant even thinking about writing him off.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:54 AM

90 posts, read 294,395 times
I know he's not going to act like my ex, they're different people. I'm more worried about me accidentally projecting issues with my ex onto him. It's just weird when you get used to saying someone's name in a romantic context and then you're saying it again another romantic context, but it's a different person... It's just kind of a mindf*ck, especially since I was just in the process of getting over the ex.

Last edited by dreamoutloud; 12-04-2010 at 07:03 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
My sister dated guys named David. (It is a common name around here. LOL) We all thought it was interesting and also funny. I think one of my sisters started numbering them. She did date other guys but for some reason the Davids stuck out more. Anyway she is married now and her husbands name is David.

Unless you are having similar issues with your new boyfriend why would you bring up issues that you had with the ex? Is the ex still on your mind?

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 12-04-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 07:19 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My sister dated guys named David. (It is a common name around here. LOL) We all thought it was interesting and also funny. I think one of my sisters started numbering them. She did date other guys but for some reason the Davids stuck out more. Anyway she is married now and her husbands name is David.

Unless you are having similar issues with your new boyfriend why would you bring up issues that you had with the ex? Id the ex still on your mind?

.... And everyone was a Henry, she wouldn't have a willy or a sam (no sir!) I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry, Henry the eighth I am!

(second verse! same as the first!)

Jonathan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUb3NWp942s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships