Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
JH Response:
It sounds to me like you are an honest, open person who is genuinely seeking to do the right thing. I doubt very seriously that you are either a 'devil worshipper' or a 'terrible person' ... and anyone who would take what you have said thus far, and conclude that, is not paying attention. It's not even a matter of your boyfriend not loving you not wanting to marry you, if you are a non-Christian.

The real issue that Christians have committed much more than simple 'religion' to God (not like so many monks or nuns), but, in recognition of the one who really is God ... and it's not them! That only sounds like a simple, unimportant 'religious' thing to those who "really don't understand", which by definition, means "they really don't understand." -- That's not a matter of intelligence or wisdom or common sense or anything else you might imagine, but instead, is truly a work of God in the believer.

-- Stick with your instinct to get more involved in his church situation (from what you've said, you don't have a religious commitment or a church situation for him to get involved in, do you?) -- Therefore, it's not really a matter of who compromises in this situation, unless you are expecting him to simply 'walk away from his faith(?)' -- If he is willing to do that, can you really trust that he has a stronger lifetime commitment to you?
I wouldn't presume to know what CoffeeShot finds troubling about Christianity.

From numerous discussions many seem to find the idea of Salvation and all that accompanies it a major issue. And there are those who focus on the details so intensely that they are paralyzed by the analyzing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,606 times
Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. My last gf was a relatively devout muslim, I'm atheist- there were other issues with our breakup but the religion was a massive hurdle. My current gf is buddist and there seem to be no issues but then we see things the same way (apart from reincarnation of course). For the most part i don't think it works though.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,606 times
Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. My last gf was a relatively devout muslim, I'm atheist- there were other issues with our breakup but the religion was a massive hurdle. My current gf is buddist and there seem to be no issues but then we see things the same way (apart from reincarnation of course). For the most part i don't think it works though.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,775,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeShot View Post
I tried searching for this because I thought there was a topic already, but I can't seem to find it. And hopefully this is good in this forum and not the religion one. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have experiences with differing religious beliefs in a relationship and how it affected you. Were you able to respect each others beliefs or did it end up destroying the relationship?

I'm agnostic. I'm not really sure what I believe yet and I think that before I can choose a religion - if I choose to - I need to do a lot of research and find one that resonates with me. My boyfriend is Christian and his faith is incredibly important to him. I have no problem with that but he's said that it bothers him that I'm not religious. He is also opposed to gay marriage which I find appalling because I don't think it's right to try to limit a person's freedom simply because the idea makes you, as an individual, uncomfortable. If it's not hurting anyone else, I really don't care and think that people should be able to do what they want.

HOWEVER he is a really amazing guy and when it comes to most things we're very agreeable. We've discussed having kids and what we'll do then because he was worried about trying to raise a family with two parents who have different religious beliefs. I'm definitely not thinking of ending the relationship over it (however I can't speak for him ), but it did make me curious to see how this kind of dynamic may have played out for other people. TIA for sharing
Hes a nice guy more than likely because Christ has changed him majorly. Its rather important that you have the same beliefs because literally everything falls under what ones religion/relationship with God/life philosophies are because it governs how one lives, ones ultimate purpose and meaning, and worldview. From that, everything filters on down. May i suggest a very good site for testing the Christian Faith for truth and how real science confirms the Bible to be true : www.impactapologetics.com . Also, this site will answer your many questions and its designed for honest Agnostic Seekers looking for answers :
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/answers.html .
If you two can agree on your Faith walk then youll have great harmony in your relationship/marriage/kids. Regards.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,756 times
When dating, I wouldn't care until it gets to the point of discussing marriage. Most likely, I could only see myself marrying someone Jewish or just someone that isn't following any religion. This is important to me because I want a kosher house, have my kids going to Hebrew school, celebrating Jewish holidays, and carrying on the culture and traditions that I have carried with me.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM

346 posts, read 968,531 times
My girlfriend is Mormon, and I'm a non-practicing Christian.

It doesn't appear to be a problem now, but I could see it coming up if hell freezes over and things get serious.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Nothing makes an erection go away quicker than a little too much religion talk.

Truer words were never spoken.

I ultimately don't care about the girl's faith as long as I don't have to hear about it constantly, get drug into it and it doesn't interfere with me getting laid.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
I can only speak from my personal experience, but I have found that different deep seated beliefs have a profound effect on relationships. My wife and I are both real Christians, but we still have painful disagreements over points of belief between Baptist doctrine (wife) and non-denominational "read it in the Bible and believe it" doctrine (me). Those differences are almost nothing compared to people of entirely different faiths. It has the likelyhood, maybe even inevitability, of being a real problem in a long term relationship.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,914 times
Have a common religion is best, but not the same, can not hurt others.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
I'm an Agnostic and my wife is a Atheist and we don't know what were not raising the kids in.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships