Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Excuse me? What year is this again? Is that a SERIOUS question?
In Saudi Arabia a woman would probably be severely chastised for even asking this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,520,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Excuse me? What year is this again? Is that a SERIOUS question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Saudi Arabia a woman would probably be severely chastised for even asking this question.
Trimac20,

I can't help but notice that you don't live in Saudi Arabia. [B-r-r-r-t! WRONG, but thank you for playing!] How would you, personally, as a resident of the "Western periphery of Terra Australis", answer the question?

From a purely personal perspective, if you don't have the cajones to answer this honestly, "ta-hell-witchya".

-- Nighteyes

P.S: To be absolutely clear, cajones is the Spanish/Mexican word for "testicles".

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-26-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Always found in weird in the old days when women were sometimes called 'Mrs (insert husband's first name here) Jones.' As a kid I was like, 'mum, why does that lady have a boy's name?' Lol
If I ever marry I don't care if my wife doesn't take on my last name. That's not important to me. If we have kids, we can flip a coin. I don't care about passing on my name, although I do feel a certain duty to my ancestors, but in the end my DNA is still in the kid. I find people who think they are own others domineering and jealous, caring more about them as property than people.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
What's the point of marriage if the couple doesn't want to give themselves to the other? Just stay single if you want to be single and independent.

Women also will say "my husband" as well as men saying "my wife". "My" is obviously a possessive pronoun that implies a kind of ownership.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
She told me she'd rather be called Ms. than Mrs. And why do women have three options? Miss, Ms. and Mrs...or worse yet even, Ma'am! Ma'am is some old woman.
Being a lady has no age. I'm afraid your comment is symptomatic of today's Peter Pan syndrome. It's like grown men who get scared when they get called Mr. X. They associate that with adulthood and responsibility and they prefer to continue playing videogames and "hanging out" well into adulthood, clinging to their lost adolescence.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,746,331 times
I have never understood why women make a big stink about this. Either take the man's last man's, don't take it, or add it on to yours. Any one you choose doesn't mean you are 'property' of said man or that you "lose" your own identity because you don't have a certain surname. IMO, a woman that lets that happen, wasn't all that independent to begin with....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,023,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
At work today a co-worker told me that she hates being called "Mrs." I asked her why and she replied she is her own person and is not "owned" by any man. She told me she'd rather be called Ms. than Mrs. And why do women have three options? Miss, Ms. and Mrs...or worse yet even, Ma'am! Ma'am is some old woman.

Now men have Mr. (and you can't tell if they're married...whereas Mrs. you can). And men are called "Sir" which can really sounds more respectful an not old-ladyish like "Ma'am".

The only reason she did take his last name was for the sake of the children she knew they'd have one day. She told me she's always believed this way...even as a young girl.
So many hang-ups. Sounds like someone just needs something to complain about. I consider that as sharing his last name, not being owned. And Ma'am is no more for just old ladies than Sir is just for old men. It's respect. In the old days, men were the persuers so it was handy to know if she was a Miss or Mrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships