Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I have never understood while a women would not want to take her husbands name.
Uh, because I am my own person and that is MY name.
Also, if you are thinking this is some huge bid for solidarity, you better realize that most men wouldn't do the same for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
Of course not, unless you're "old-fashioned" or really religious. But then you're also probably stupid as well.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
While I think a man should lead a household, a marriage license is just that and not a bill of sale.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I don't think I'd be OK with my wife not taking my last name.

I haven't done any kind of research on it, but I think that's the tradition that the woman takes her husband's last name? I think this is something I don't know if I can give into this.

I'm not owning her at all, she's still her own person, she just has my last name and everything else that comes along with a relationship.
I took my ex's last name and regretted it. Once you are published, it's tough to change names. People don't recognize you, you have to explain clips with different names or risk looking like you've plagiarized someone, etc. Then, after the divorce, I actually had to petition the court for "permission" to go back to my maiden name, which was absolutely ridiculous. It's MY name! Nope. Not doing that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh, because I am my own person and that is MY name.
Also, if you are thinking this is some huge bid for solidarity, you better realize that most men wouldn't do the same for you.
My college sweetheart took his wife's name when he got married. I believe they are divorced now, and he kept the name. It was more about his lousy relationship with his father (a jerk) and his stepfather (who did business with goombahs) than any great nod to feminism, but he never bothered to explain that to people who asked. It was always, "I liked her name, so why not?"

We all have our reasons. I don't see the point of others getting all judgmental.

Last edited by Yzette; 11-27-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I took my ex's last name and regretted it. Once you are published, it's tough to change names. People don't recognize you, you have to explain clips with different names or risk looking like you've plagiarized someone, etc. Then, after the divorce, I actually had to petition the court for "permission" to go back to my maiden name, which was absolutely ridiculous. It's MY name! Nope. Not doing that again.
Sorry you married the wrong guy.

I'm not going to change my position. If she doesn't want to changer her last name then sorry I can't marry that person.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I hated changing my name...my maiden name was so much nicer!!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
My college sweetheart took his wife's name when he got married. I believe they are divorced now, and he kept the name. It was more about his lousy relationship with his father (a jerk) and his stepfather (who did business with goombahs) than any great nod to feminism, but he never bothered to explain that to people who asked. It was always, "I liked her name, so why not?"

We all have our reasons. I don't see the point of others getting all judgmental.
I know guys who have done it. But the reason has always been the same - they were angry with their nasty families and didn't want to have anything to do with them. One of them didn't like his name anyway.

Not judging. Just saying that it's pretty much a one-sided affair.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I go back and forth with the name changing thing. Right now I allow people to address us with one last name for personal mail (invitations, cards, and the like). It took me awhile for that to be ok. I do like the idea of having one name for the family. My dh and I would like to pick a new name, and maybe we could, but we're a bit too lazy to be bothered. Maybe when children come along (god willing) we'll investigate more. I am pretty attached to my name. He's not attached to his.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
In some spanish cultures they hyphenate both names and so do their children...I think that is a great idea!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Sorry you married the wrong guy.

I'm not going to change my position. If she doesn't want to changer her last name then sorry I can't marry that person.
Well, you said in another thread that you weren't getting married anyway. So that works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships