Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,940,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When I got married I could not wait to be called Mrs........ It is an honor to take my husbands name. We have been married almost 13 years and I still get a kick out of someone calling me Mrs.......... I have in no way lost my personality, I am still my own person, he does not own me. I have never understood while a women would not want to take her husbands name.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/clap.gif (broken link) Perfectly stated!!!

I LOVE being a Mrs. too. It's such an honor! My husband put his entire heart on the line when he asked me to marry him. What a scary thing to do. Lay your entire insides out on the table in hopes of not getting wounded.

When I got married, I was doing really well during the ceremony until the part when I was to repeat "I give up my name for yours...". I choked... and started bawling my eyes out. There, before me stood a man that loved me (warts & all); wanted to spend the rest of his life making me fall in love with him all over again, every day; he wanted to be the reason behind my smile and I could go on and on... and the only thing he was asking of me at that moment was to change my last name? You bet I said "Yes"! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/love2.gif (broken link)

I love the saying "Beautiful wives are the results of good husbands". You don't get that beauty by "ownership".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,345,743 times
A girl I went to school with was an only child ... and her hubby took her family name to carry it on. Little different but hey it worked for them.

Ya know what ... sounds to me like she really don't like the idea of marriage.

Mutual respect .......... Look past those pittly little things ......... bigger fish in the water to get through ........like the first 3 years lol!

And if a ring and a vow makes you an owned person........ gesh ... I better not touch this one!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,311,052 times
Yes, I own my wife and let her out once a month at night and occasionally on the weekends...

No, of course husbands don't own wives. I don't think the name thing is such a big deal, but apparrently it is for some women. I've never even considered that giving up one's last name and taking the husband's name could even somewhat imply "ownership"...

That said, when I waited tables I called EVERY woman "Miss". I didn't care if they were 16 or 61. Helped with the tips a bit....

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

30 posts, read 111,748 times
My grandson's wife didn't change her name when they got married and I thought it was neat. She very respectfully explained to our family that it wasn't that she didn't want to be part of our family but it was a matter of honoring her own history and the history of her family. She said they were starting a new family together but each of them still represented and honored their original families. I think my grandson was a little surprised but it just proves what I always thought about her before they got married. She is just like his grandma was and life married to a tough spunky woman is about as good as it gets.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 AM

401 posts, read 685,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
At work today a co-worker told me that she hates being called "Mrs." I asked her why and she replied she is her own person and is not "owned" by any man. She told me she'd rather be called Ms. than Mrs. And why do women have three options? Miss, Ms. and Mrs...or worse yet even, Ma'am! Ma'am is some old woman.

Now men have Mr. (and you can't tell if they're married...whereas Mrs. you can). And men are called "Sir" which can really sounds more respectful an not old-ladyish like "Ma'am".

The only reason she did take his last name was for the sake of the children she knew they'd have one day. She told me she's always believed this way...even as a young girl.
First in the South Ma'am is not necessarily an old lady. Ma'am is a word for your mother, and any woman who is either older than you, or in a position of respect like your boss. My middle school aged daughter has even been called ma'am by some kids who thought they were in deep trouble.

My step-father was in the military, and If I did not say my sir's and ma'am's I would be in deep trouble.

I also believe that any person who thinks a mere tittle like Mrs. means the difference between being a free woman, or being a slave needs to chill out on the coffee.
If you let your spouse treat you like a possession you are a possession, no matter what your tittle is, if you don't you aren't.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,294,860 times
Didn't the women's movement have something to do with this? I personally don't remember the use of "Ms." much before the early 70's...

For what it's worth, I have friends where the husband took his wife's surname...How's that for "feminism" and "owning" one's spouse...?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,909,273 times
Excuse me? What year is this again? Is that a SERIOUS question?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 AM

85 posts, read 283,924 times
no man will ever own a woman!
i took my husbands name that is part of our commitment to each other, but own me .... no never in a million years i am still, me mad alittle strange at times.You don't own each other.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,930 times
Default Own Who ????

My wife took my name and is called on occasion Mrs.......Does that imply ownership? Ah Nooooooooooooooo! Do I or did I ever think I "Owned anyone",
No again........

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,912,196 times
No a hubby doesnt own his wife, but I own my husband...LOLOLOL.

Seriousely though, some people dont change their names due to professional. I have many friends who are physicians and they have kept their maiden name. Its not a big deal..but I guess that is what their medical degree came in, so they just never bothered changing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships