Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,586 times

Advertisements

While reading through the boards here it's pretty obvious that as soon as there is one post suggesting sex, there are at least 3 counter posts about STDs.

Which makes me wonder; just how many people have this around you?? This forum makes it sound like one in every handful of people has them.
I don't know about america, but here

If I look at local statistics from where I live it's the following;
clamydia; slightly more than 2000 infected/1 million inhabitants
gonnorea: 21 infected/1 million inhabitants
HIV: 708 infected/1 million inhabitants(mostly male drugaddicts)
syfilis: 25-30 cases /1 million inhabitants
Other were to unprevalent for statistics in the region.

So in total about 3000/1 million to worry about...

That's 0.3% chance of meeting someone with an STD, and even lesser chance of actually catching one from a single encounter, what's your odds over there? I mean by the sounds of it it would be like >10% or something rediculous like that.

edit:
These are total cases from 2009.
I am using the region in wich I live in (approximatly 300 by 400 miles, population slightly over 1 million, concentrated in a couple of towns and some smaller farms)
The stats are however pretty much the same in the rest of my country, except for in the far north where the deseases get really rare.

While there was a breakdown on age group I summed it up since 90% of cases were in 15-20, 21-25 and 25-29, and then only a small bunch at 30+, not counting HIV, which was evenly spread over 20-40.
simply to make it easier. especially since all the 4 mensioned agegroups are within my dating pool (17-30~).
Im not gonna pull up a 4-page excel-figure in a language that next to zero readers on this forum can understand.

Last edited by sportsgeek20; 01-03-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Yes I've noticed the STD reference alot as well.

I figured by this point in time that STD's were basically common knowledge and didn't actually require mentioning in every thread. lol

Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
While reading through the boards here it's pretty obvious that as soon as there is one post suggesting sex, there are at least 3 counter posts about STDs.

Which makes me wonder; just how many people have this around you?? This forum makes it sound like one in every handful of people has them.

That's 0.3% chance of meeting someone with an STD, and even lesser chance of actually catching one from a single encounter, what's your odds over there? I mean by the sounds of it it would be like >10% or something rediculous like that.
It's not so much the odds but the risk. It doesn't matter what the odds were if you're one of the ones who gets AIDS

What time frame are your stats for? Are those newly diagnosed cases per year?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:

Are you using national averages?

No... you can't use a national average and think you're in the clear.

You have to use a breakdown by population and age group.

People should always have that in their mind when they're dating someone they don't know or having a casual encounter.

It's definitely something to consider.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,049 times
I remember when AIDS was around, it really is kinda rare now. Not talking about HIV but real AIDS. The truth was you could have unprotected sex with someone with AIDS and the odds were HUGE against getting it. It was those that rocked on every night with anyone, he or she that eventually got it. The odds just caught up to them. It's not "If", it's how often!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Are you using national averages?

No... you can't use a national average and think you're in the clear.

You have to use a breakdown by population and age group.

People should always have that in their mind when they're dating someone they don't know or having a casual encounter.

It's definitely something to consider.
Very good point. That could skew the numbers significantly.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,586 times
I am using the region in wich i live in (approximatly 300 by 400 miles, population slightly over 1 million)
it's also pretty much the same in the rest of my country.

While there was a breakdown on age group I summed it up since 90% of cases were in 15-20, 21-25 and 25-29, and then only a small bunch at 30+, not counting HIV, which was evenly spread over 20-40.
simply to make it easier. especially since all the 4 mensioned agegroups are within my dating pool.
Im not gonna pull up a 4-page excel-figure in a language that next to zero readers on this forum can understand.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Be safe instead of sorry. You and your partner should have a complete STI screening. If you don't have insurance, there are clinics that will provide you with services either free on or a sliding scale.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I am using the region in wich i live in (approximatly 300 by 400 miles, population slightly over 1 million)
it's also pretty much the same in the rest of my country.

simply to make it easier. especially since all the 4 mensioned agegroups are within my dating pool.
What percentage of the population in your area falls in those age groups? The point is you can't calculate the risk based on total population. You have to base it on the at risk population. I would assume, you're not just as likely to sleep with a 20 year old as an 80 year old

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Be safe instead of sorry. You and your partner should have a complete STI screening. If you don't have insurance, there are clinics that will provide you with services either free on or a sliding scale.
Do you seriously do this? I mean, really do it every time? I'm not singling you out, I just notice that women say this often on this board. Yet I've never read those words written by men. That makes no sense to me, so I can't help but think that women claim to insist on screening but in fact don't really do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships