Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,507,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Looking back on it, it was that she was inflexible (she did make a scene in the grocery store). turned me off. no 2nd date, cremebrulee. And I don't see any need to talk about "issues" - she's said enough.

If she's a vegan, but doesn't force it on others, then I'd be cool with that.
Sounds like a fair conclusion, DC .

Don't give up on the veggie girls, you just never know . I'm in a mixed marriage myself - one veggie, one non-veggie .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,385,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
he said that 'since you've already eaten the cow, I might as well wear it.' Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!

AHHH! That's the best line I've heard yet! Three cheers!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM

982 posts, read 3,311,238 times
Quote:
that's just...
Oh yeah. His ex 'converted' him in college. They were together for 6 years, were supposed to get married, she dumped him, etc. He had only been out of that relationship for nine months. He was smart, helluva lot of fun to hang out with, but he was still a little screwed up - and I realized that going 'in' to it. I suspect a big part of the reason he wore leather was a little 'fu' to the ex (who wanted to get back together), and he just didn't want to get into that with me.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,112,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I just can't be with someone who is so inflexible that she won't buy apples from another state. it was ridiculous...
What you mention goes beyond being a vegan. I don't blame you for not wanting a second date.

I personally can't imagine marrying a vegan since I'm not. When I have friends over for dinner who are vegans or vegetarians, I have to worry about how I prepare the meal since serving a vegetarian meal doesn't suffice. The questions of whether or not I used chicken stock versus vegetable stock, dairy products, etc., are beyond me.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM

202 posts, read 272,286 times
A vegan lifestyle, and for that matter, a vegeterian lifestyle, done right and with much thought given to balance and healthfulness, not the "I eat a lot of pasta and jarred marinara and cheese pizza" brand of vegetarian lifestyle is a LOT of effort. Any super specialized, restrictive diet is.

It's worth considering when partnering up with somebody who is one or the other and you're not, or vice versa.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 AM

434 posts, read 1,739,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Sounds like a fair conclusion, DC .

Don't give up on the veggie girls, you just never know . I'm in a mixed marriage myself - one veggie, one non-veggie .
I'm in a mixed marriage too! DC's date wasn't a Veggie she was a nut!! My hubby eats meat all of the time...I just don't. He grills about three days a week and I just have either veggie kabobs or a veggie burger. And I cook meat for him I just don't eat it (or touch it...I wear gloves because I can smell the meat on my hands for a week) Okay I know THAT sounds a little weird...

Something to think about for DC...my husband loved it when we were dating because he could take me out for a steak dinner and I was a cheap date!! He ordered the biggest steak he could eat, I ate the salad, we split an appetizer and the baked potato or steamed veggies! I was always half price! (Unless there was a bar )

Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,655,128 times
Clawson, you are nicer than I am. I don't care if hubby eats it, but I don't want it in my house and I won't cook it.

Funny thing is, he's almost a vegetarian himself after all these years (by choice not by force). His father died of prostate cancer and there's been quite a few studies on that and an increased risk of it, so he stopped red meat cold turkey (pardon the pun) after his dad got diagnosed. Maybe one or two times a month he'll have a turkey sandwich, but it's to the point where he actually prefers the vegetarian option because he just kind of lost his taste for animal.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM

434 posts, read 1,739,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Clawson, you are nicer than I am. I don't care if hubby eats it, but I don't want it in my house and I won't cook it.

Funny thing is, he's almost a vegetarian himself after all these years (by choice not by force). His father died of prostate cancer and there's been quite a few studies on that and an increased risk of it, so he stopped red meat cold turkey (pardon the pun) after his dad got diagnosed. Maybe one or two times a month he'll have a turkey sandwich, but it's to the point where he actually prefers the vegetarian option because he just kind of lost his taste for animal.
I'm very lucky that he grills OUTSIDE most of the time! He loves roast and pot roast though so I do that in the house every now and then and he helps me peel my carrots (I HATE peeling carrots!) so it's a fair trade. I just open a lot of windows and light candles when it has to be cooked inside. Thank goodness the man LOVES his grill! I must be the only wife on earth that encourages the purchase of the most expensive gadgety grill on the market!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
I'm very lucky that he grills OUTSIDE most of the time!
I'm trying to get mine to do that very thing ! Looks like I'm going to have to build him a grilling station outside.....he's taken to cooking meat in the house lately and I am NOT happy about it (um.......the steak isn't going to clean the kitchen itself! What a mess! ).

Okay DC, so the veggie/non-veggie marriages may not be perfect...but it can all be worked out (different veggie girl of course, not the crazy apple girl ).

Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Clawson is nicer than me too, I am definitely not cooking the meat .

Though if someone else cooks it, I will cut it up for the dogs. But that's only because I don't let them use the kitchen knives .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships