Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How do you know someone is a born again Christian, an Obama hater, or a right wing conspiracy theorist?

Wait sixty seconds. They'll tell you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, we can do that too. Does it make you feel good as a person to insult others for no reason?
I didn't see his joke as insulting as someone whose had past differences with MD. It is known that the three groups he mentioned are pretty vocal (without being asked) about being a part of those groups more often than not. You can throw my group, atheists, in there as well and I would not be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:08 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,410,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Your argument that Vegans are weak is silly. Carl Lewis won Olympic medals as a Vegan. Patrik Baboumian has set several world records in powerlifting as a Vegan. Mac Danzig a former MMA/UFC fighter is Vegan. Scott Jurek the greatest ultramarathoner of all time, who holds several world records, including fastest thru hike of the Appalachian Trail is Vegan.
I have a theory that some people are bothered by other people's strict diets because they find the level of discipline to be intimidating, and or threatening.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:54 AM

51,232 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
***warning*** if you are a vegan, please leave this thread now. if you continue, you will find this offensive and I'm not on this forum to hurt people's feelings.

okay, I was on a date tonight with self-proclaimed vegan. It was horrible. it was not only her being a vegan, but her life philosophy was such that she would not do, eat, or say anything that would take away from the planet earth. No cheese, no meat, not even fruit transported from outside of the country or state.

She had the nerve to drag me to the grocery store looking for apples and then complain to an employee that they didn't have any apples that were locally produced... they only had apples from florida or new zealand. I said, "well, they all taste the same to me. how is it different to you?" she said something about her own ideology, and that she doesn't believe in trade with other countries or something.

I just can't be with someone who is so inflexible that she won't buy apples from another state. it was ridiculous...

okay, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening. Need I say that I never want to see her again?
Okay, so you went on a date with a whack-a-doodle. Why put everyone in the same group and assume everyone who eats a certain diet acts like that? I have a relative who is a vegan as is her bf, and aside from making sure there's some veggies served, it doesn't affect us at all and she doesn't talk about it. There is nothing different in her personality than there was before she became vegan. She would never go ranting in the market, and is not as militant as your weird date was. Most are not going to be like that.

That said, date who you want, I just find it odd to attribute common personalities to disparate people based on their diet.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-07-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,935,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Okay, so you went on a date with a whack-a-doodle. Why put everyone in the same group and assume everyone who eats a certain diet acts like that? I have a relative who is a vegan as is her bf, and aside from making sure there's some veggies served, there is nothing different in her personality than there was before she became vegan. She would never go ranting in the market, and is not as militant as your weird date was.
What did you read there differently than I did?

I didn't read anything that suggested that she was "ranting" or "militant".
She explained that she was a vegan
They went to the store and she said something (who knows what) to the clerk about not having local apples.

The horror! The horror!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM

51,232 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
What did you read there differently than I did?

I didn't read anything that suggested that she was "ranting" or "militant".
She explained that she was a vegan
They went to the store and she said something (who knows what) to the clerk about not having local apples.

The horror! The horror!
She sounds to me like she spent the date lecturing others (including min wage supermarket employees who have no say in where the fruit comes from), and she sounds santimonious about her dietary choices, JMO. It sounds like she wears veganism like some kind of badge. In any case, I was trying to not be on any certain "side" as OP is entitled to his feelings, and that seems to be how HE felt she behaved.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:21 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,935,062 times
Quote:
She sounds to me like she spent the date lecturing others (including min wage supermarket employees who have no say in where the fruit comes from), and she sounds santimonious about her dietary choices, JMO. It sounds like she wears veganism like some kind of badge. In any case, I was trying to not be on any certain "side" as OP is entitled to his feelings, and that seems to be how HE felt she behaved.
Both you and I, and the OP, and everyone else, carries their own biases into this discussion.

From my point of view nothing in the original post (I can't speak for any additional information the OP gave):
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
***warning*** if you are a vegan, please leave this thread now. if you continue, you will find this offensive and I'm not on this forum to hurt people's feelings.

okay, I was on a date tonight with self-proclaimed vegan. It was horrible. it was not only her being a vegan, but her life philosophy was such that she would not do, eat, or say anything that would take away from the planet earth. No cheese, no meat, not even fruit transported from outside of the country or state.

She had the nerve to drag me to the grocery store looking for apples and then complain to an employee that they didn't have any apples that were locally produced... they only had apples from florida or new zealand. I said, "well, they all taste the same to me. how is it different to you?" she said something about her own ideology, and that she doesn't believe in trade with other countries or something.

I just can't be with someone who is so inflexible that she won't buy apples from another state. it was ridiculous...

okay, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening. Need I say that I never want to see her again?
Suggests any lecturing. She told him what her philosophy on food was (reasonable since food is typically a big part of dating) and tried to get a local apple.

What it does suggest is that the OP didn't actually listen what his date told him. He asks about the taste of the apples, but it's almost certainly not about taste. But he doesn't know what it is "trade with other countries or something".

The OP sounds more sanctimonious
Quote:
she won't buy apples from another state. it was ridiculous...
Safe to say there aren't a match.

Based on the very limited information presented here, I'd much rather spend time with the OP's date than with the OP who comes across as judgmental and not open to differing viewpoints.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,262,801 times
Quote:
Okay, so you went on a date with a whack-a-doodle. Why put everyone in the same group and assume everyone who eats a certain diet acts like that? I have a relative who is a vegan as is her bf, and aside from making sure there's some veggies served, it doesn't affect us at all and she doesn't talk about it. There is nothing different in her personality than there was before she became vegan. She would never go ranting in the market, and is not as militant as your weird date was. Most are not going to be like that.

That said, date who you want, I just find it odd to attribute common personalities to disparate people based on their diet.
+1. I have spent 16 of the past 17 Thanksgivings elbow-deep in a turkey carcass, preparing Meat Fest [insert year] for 10. Evidently and ironically, I have a knack for gravy and sausage stuffing. Anyone who wants to lump me in with judgy vegan activists can kiss my Tofurky and **** off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships