Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM

8 posts, read 21,420 times

Advertisements

I hardly ever dated when I was single. When I did, tho, it was not about the lay. I don't know if it was because I just hadn't it yet, but its something I avoided. I was the type of person that wanted to get some sense as to who the woman was and felt that sex would get in the way. So for that matter, there were times I turned it down. I don't know if this was due to the fact that I analyze things and would come to the conclusion that is was not a good idea to see what would come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,479,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still hangin View Post
Thanks anonymous - you make me feel ever so much better.
I detect your sarcasm.. and my goal here is not to make you feel better. You asked a question, and you deserve an honest answer. Hopefully by having your question answered, you may feel ever so much better.

The simple fact that people get married and start families should indicate that men do want relationships. You asked earlier, if there is no chemistry (i.e. the early stages of a relationship), then why do men keep trying?

Sex, of course. The answer seems obvious to me, but I'm a guy, and I take for granted that people understand the natural sexual drive that males have.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,909,798 times
Quote:
Do men typically date women for a potential roll in the hay, or are they really looking for a deeper relationship? Be honest.

I think the level of maturity with both people involved plays a huge role in that.
And here's that word again....get ready people....RESPECT for each other.
And along with respect comes moral values.

To me when I hear of someone just having a fling 'for the sake of having a fling' shows total lack of self respect..and I am sure there are other issues brewing as well...again, that's my opinion.

I think people will find as you gain experience with life in general...your priorities change as well as your maturity level and the way you *think*.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM

232 posts, read 995,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7014 View Post
Yes and no. We have to date to see what's out there. Not every date will lead to a relationship. But, eventually, after enough different dates (you could be lucky and it is the 1st person you meet), you might find that special person. Guys do want sex. So most will try even if they view you as a one night stand. All this depends on the person. There is no set formula.
I agree...This guy hit the nail right on the head !

Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Default 0 tolerance

Cheat, either you are gone or I am gone! I've been through it and don't have any patience or will for a cheater! Sorry but once is one time too many.

Why do men chase women they have no intention of being loyal to?

The same urge that makes dogs chase cars they have no intention of driving.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM

67 posts, read 190,486 times
I love the dog analogy!!!! That was priceless. But, I'm with a cheater in the reconcilation mode. He's the one that wants it to work so I do my part, but if he steps out of line, then I walk. We talked about cheating before marriage and we agreed that we would not tolerate it. Any here I am, still with him. Doesn't make sense, I know, but it works for me, at least for now.

7th gen, did you try to reconcile, or did the spouse leave? How did your marriage end? Not trying to be nosey, it helps me to put things in perspective. Up to you, if you want to share.

I was once told that "all men cheat" and I'm beginning to think that is a true statement. Not because they set out to do it, but when a bimbo pursues, it seems to be inevitable. Do I have this wrong?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,234,027 times
Quote:
I was once told that "all men cheat" and I'm beginning to think that is a true statement. Not because they set out to do it, but when a bimbo pursues, it seems to be inevitable. Do I have this wrong?
care to tell us who told you that?

personally, if my SO keeps me satisfied... emotionally and physically and spiritually, there's nothing that can make me cheat on her. That might mean a lot of work and play in the bedroom - or OUT of the bedroom

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I think the level of maturity with both people involved plays a huge role in that.
And here's that word again....get ready people....RESPECT for each other.
And along with respect comes moral values.

To me when I hear of someone just having a fling 'for the sake of having a fling' shows total lack of self respect..and I am sure there are other issues brewing as well...again, that's my opinion.

I think people will find as you gain experience with life in general...your priorities change as well as your maturity level and the way you *think*.
I guess we're just gonna keep butting heads a bit here because I think you're oversimplifying things. "Respect" isn't just some simple word that you can throw out there and say "if you have that everything else falls into place". It doesn't work that way and people have different ideas of what "RESPECT" entails. One can actually be VERY respectful and be completely devoid of any morals (as you define them) if they play it right.

I also think that having a fling for the sake of having a fling doesn't at all mean a person has no respect for one's self. More often it might mean that they don't respect the person they had the "fling" with, but even then that isn't always the case.

I realize that you believe that I'm just warped because of over-active hormones that will eventually settle down and then and only then will I see what you're saying. However, when I thought about it more I realized that this also means that you were raised in a different era than I was all together and that societies' mores have changed in that span somewhat....

One instance or example is that today women are much more free to pursue a sex life that doesn't involve marriage than they used to be. This little fact by itself changes the playing field and the rules of dating a bit IMO.

My main point is that a simple catch-word like "RESPECT" is not all-encompassing to mean everything you seem to think it means. It means different things to different people and yes, many people don't have any respect at all for anyone..... But I think you're trying to drape that blanket over a much wider group of people than it actually covers..

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 07-20-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
care to tell us who told you that?

DAMN that Eddie Murphy!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM

67 posts, read 190,486 times
You mean all men don't cheat? Damn, I thought I was just naive!

From experience, I can tell you that if you "respect" a marriage enough, you won't cheat! The respect in this contex means to me that you are in it for the long haul and that you mean what you say - for better, for worse, blah blah blah. You have to start somewhere, so to me when you repeat those vows, that is where it begins. You can either be a person of strong character, or not. Yes, today's culture is, go for it! So are there any good people left from the old school? Okay, so let me ask this? Is cheating a mistake? Or is it an addiction? What is it exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships